What am I in for? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-12-2011, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

What am I in for?

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the forum but not to Jeeps. I've lived through a mechanical nightmare with my '06 LJ the last 6 months or so and am looking to get into a new JK in the next few months. What issues do I get to look forward to with the 2011 2 doors? My expectation is that it'll be set up in short order to:

33x12.5x15's BFG AT's, and maybe a small 1 to 2 inch spring spacer lift.

Is there a backspacing with the wheels that I need to know about so it doesn't rub at full stuff, any trimming to pinch seams, flares, etc?

Any advice or suggestions happily accepted.

Thanks
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Tim -

First off - welcome to JKO!

To answer your question with the wheels, just make sure that you've got about 4.5" of backspacing on them to clear the new 12.5 tires that you're planning on going with. And if 33's are as large as you want to go, then you can get away with going with the Teraflex Leveling Kit to get the additional height clearance that you'll need. (and with 33's you won't need to trim the pinch seam. If you go bigger, then you might want to consider it.)

And I'd talk to one of the vendors here on the site to get you good pricing on everything you want - the tires, wheels, lift, etc. They'll definitely hook you up!
post #3 of 13 Old 05-12-2011, 10:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The JK is a totally different animal than your LJ. The stock tires are almost 33s as is, so IMO you are wasting your money with 33s. Just get a 2.5" budget boost and throw 35s on there. no need to trim the pinch seem to run 35s. this set-up is cheap, performs fantastic off-road, and maintains good street manners. You may need to run wheels with less backspacing than stock or use wheel spacers in the rear to make it so the rear links don't rub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Just get a 2.5" budget boost and throw 35s on there. no need to trim the pinch seem to run 35s. this set-up is cheap, performs fantastic off-road, and maintains good street manners.
What about gears, tire carrier, and programer??

"Sweet ain't as sweet without the sour"
post #5 of 13 Old 05-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUJeep View Post
agree.. i've got both situations goin' right now... keep spending a ton of cash on the wife's unlimited with 3" lift and 35's just correcting stupid issues on top of the money spent on gears, superchips, tire carrier, lower control arms, track bars, etc, etc, etc..
"stupid issues" being bent rear axle flange... ball joints... front drive shaft... etc.. etc.. etc... goes on and on and on and never ends.. hahahaha

on the other hand... my 2-door rubicon i'm doing the really (and truly) cheap route... I lifted/leveled with stock 4-door coils and 3/4" front spacers... made my own stubby bumper out of a stocker (no plastic, either)... and i'm ready for 33's easily... gonna go with 255/80R17 BFG KM2's when my stock BFG KM's are worn out... that way no need for new wheels or spacers...

☀lllllll☀ 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk
☀lllllll☀ 2009 Unlimited X
☀lllllll☀ 1985 CJ-7
post #6 of 13 Old 05-12-2011, 11:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUJeep View Post
What about them? Going to want them with 33s too. Or are you going to start another whiney thread?

EDIT; 99% of folks that get 33s for their JKs waste their money and go to 35s quickly. There are lots of items that you are going to want for your jeep down the road when you get the cash. Right now, a little bit of lift and some decent tires are the place to start. Then do gears a little down the road, or a cheap programmer when you can. According to MSUjeep - you should just stay almost stock unless you have a fortune to blow doing everything at once - hes a kid and will learn one day. Your biggest waste of money will not be broken parts, it will be in upgrading to parts you wish you bought in the 1st place.

Last edited by desert dog; 05-12-2011 at 12:18 PM.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Rock God

Garage

Don't have to start another one. Here it is right here
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48632

99%? Really? Is that a percentage that you just pulled out of your ass? I think 87% of your advice is bad 100% of the time.

Why would you need a programmer or tire carrier with 33's? Only reason you would need gears is if you had 3.21's stock.

For the record, this quote is completely false... "According to MSUjeep - you should just stay almost stock unless you have a fortune to blow doing everything at once - hes a kid and will learn one day."
I'm sure DesertDog will tell you that you'll be getting 20 mpg with 35's and no gear change.

My Jeep is not stock by any means. I'm building in stages just like most people do. I'm glad I went with 33's because the more I see guys with 37's, the more I want to go that direction. Now if I would have spent the money on 35's initially and gears to match, that would definitely have been a waste of money.

post #8 of 13 Old 05-12-2011, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I appreciate everyone's input, thanks. I'm a little older and not so concerned about the "next obstacle" as much as some of the younger pups, but I sure enjoy their enthusiasm for the sport. There is nothing in the world as fun as hearing someone say "hold my and watch this". I do know there is a lot more to going to 35's than a spacer lift and wheel spacers to make it work the way I'm wanting my Jeep to be.

Thanks again everyone for the input!
Tim
post #9 of 13 Old 05-12-2011, 03:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

And dont let MSU talk you into those crappy zone lifts either!
post #10 of 13 Old 05-12-2011, 07:21 PM
Rock God

Garage

Look at DD trying to be an asshole. Awww it's so cute

post #11 of 13 Old 05-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Granite Guru

I wheel my jeep on 33's and 3.21 with no issue. I had more armor under my JK than most people on this forum do that have 35's and talk big before I even did a lift or tires. The reason for that is because the few inches you gain out of them isn't as important as your oil pan and evap can. Armor up your rig, wheel it than go from there. Everyone wants 35's on the smallest lift possible but its dumb. Make the Jeep capable from ground up and you will have something. I have alot done and more coming in by the day and I go everywhere these guys on 35's do with my 33's and 3" armored up Jeep . Yes gearing is a plus but if your not gonna be dedicated to off road and dont need to go fast you will live.
I forgot to mention a good set of rock sliders. Its all about the protection.

Last edited by JOHN412; 05-12-2011 at 07:54 PM.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to redneckjk

i started with a 2.5" TeraFlex B.B. and 33s 2 years ago and have had a lot of fun with it. even with the 33s and 3:73 gears i have lost the use of my overdrive so i just turn it off and go. it's not too bad. i drove it to Moab and back this year for the safari and had a great time. tires and stock gears netted me about 14 MPG at 75 MPH. i recently changed the B.B. for some 2.5" skyjacker unlimited springs that gave my 2 door about 3.75" of lift and i will be going bigger on the tire size and doing the gearing and other crap that seems to go along with that decision.

long story short is i would do the puck boost and the tires you want. wheel the fool out of it and have fun. i would recommend staying with aluminum wheels to save weight and about 4.5" of backspacing. get the boost with shocks and get a set of quick disconnects.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-13-2011, 09:38 PM
JKO Addict!

33x12.50x17 on a 1.75 front spacer and .75 rear spacer

Super easy and cheap

31 jeeps in... still have issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode