fiberglass bumpers!opinions........! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 05-11-2011, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

fiberglass bumpers!opinions........!

hi everyone!
I would like to open the pandora's box,so here we go!
WHAT YOU ALL THINK ABOUT ICELAND BERSERK fiberglass bumpers?
take a minute to check it out I think is worth it.
Now that you know and saw I want to ear your opinion.
THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 05-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Rock God

I think it looks pretty sweet. Fiberglass should be really strong but I don't think it will support the jeep.

Also they talk about how steel bumpers can be heavy but never actually say how heavy there fiberglass bumper is and just from my experience with car audio I know fiberglass can get pretty heavy pretty quick and I've never worked with 1/4" thick fiberglass.

All that aside the thing is expensive as hell!!!

EVO 1/4 pounder is only $399 and only weighs 80 pounds.

Hope my $0.02 helps.
post #3 of 30 Old 05-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Granite Guru

wow

1...well i think that no matter what, its still fiberglass so a rock and a wrong turn and youre out $380

2 ...metal is better reguardless of what anyone says....be careful torqueing the bolts you wouldnt want to crack it in the garage.

3.....if you dont want metal then why take off the factory plastic one

4....if you buy one i will come up there and take your man card.....leave the fiberglass and plastic the little tuner and honda boys

lol im just saying no real off roader has ever wanted fiberglass bumpers maybe a hood but not bumpers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 05-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Rock God

uh, no.
post #5 of 30 Old 05-11-2011, 11:42 AM
JKO Addict!

I just dont think it could take a hit. If your doing it just for looks or the forest service road then sure, go for it!

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #6 of 30 Old 05-11-2011, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

GOOD POINTS!
JUST KEEP THEM COMING!
post #7 of 30 Old 05-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Rock God

Garage

think about all the regular cars out there sitting in the parking lots of walmart and a loose cart speeds and slams into it, what happens, you get a ding. just like the oem plastic bumpers that we all start out with. so my question is why would you start out with a shiatty plastic bumper, just to replace is with a fiberglass one that wont take any damage either? if your not crawling, then you still have to worry about rocks chipping or those damned shopping carts. just saying.

2011 MANGO TANGO sahara jku....bone stock.
r.i.p.08 jk x steel blue

CALL MARCUS.. NUFF' SAID..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 30 Old 05-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I think it looks cool. However, I had the same sentiments as some of the others; why take off the stock bumper and replace it with this one? I am trying to fortify my vehicle, and this bumper while it looks cool might not take the abuse. I think it's for the people who want their jeep to look rugged, but don't do anything with it.
post #9 of 30 Old 05-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Rock God

Garage

No personal experience though I know that their ZJ products have a strong offroad following. That and IMO if it takes a hit fiberglass is very easy to repair.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 30 Old 05-12-2011, 07:46 PM
JKO Addict!

i'd rather have the plastic bumpers that come on it

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #11 of 30 Old 05-12-2011, 07:59 PM
JKO Addict!

looks like a $500 disaster.
Fiberglass will NEVER have the abrasion resistance of metal. Also I do not care for its characteristics when in an impact.
If weight is a concern and you want a sorta normal bumper spend an extra 200 and get the Aberle aluminum one. If weight is a concern and you don't need a normal bumper then get a stubby and be less than the fiberglass and have steel.
post #12 of 30 Old 05-12-2011, 08:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

There should be a basic literacy test for membership on forums

The bumpers look like a huge waste of money. I could see it being practical if you wanted to save weight on a desert runner or something, but any kind of crawling and that thing is going to get it's ass kicked.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #13 of 30 Old 05-13-2011, 07:07 AM
Granite Guru

Maybe if you are running your rig in deep snow with balloon tires so you don't sink in and dont have to worry about hitting hard objects like rocks. But otherwise you are screwed.
post #14 of 30 Old 05-13-2011, 07:13 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

my only concerns are..... the fiberglass or abs bumpers on two cars i have owned.. a 3 series BMW and a WRX, both were lowered...but with trying to ensure that I didnt hit anything those bumpers took a beating with the occasional pothole and mildly inclined driveway....

i think of how i drive the jk and get small scratches on my powdercoated bumper, those same scrathes would shred a plastic/fiberglass/abs bumper....

and even though they make the ABS flexible to take the punishment the paint doesnt hold up so well and they always ended up scratched scraped and beat up....

plus my PSC gives me peice of mind that if i ever hit anything i am prettytmuch going to fuck thier shit up !!

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #15 of 30 Old 05-13-2011, 08:46 AM
Rock God

Steel D-Ring shackle mounts bolted into a fiberglass body? Using them as an extraction points with a snatch strap?

Uh... no.
post #16 of 30 Old 05-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I would be interested to hear from someone with practical experience with these bumpers instead of general assumptions made by those that have posted.

Remember boats are made with Fiberglass bodies and I have seen them hit some rocks at much higher speeds than rock crawling jeep and come away with minor damage.

It's easy to say that it won't hold up to abuse. But I can just as easily say that I have a Rawhide bumper that stronger than steel. In the end, without proof either way it's just words. Show me a bumper that's taken a big hit and then we can decide how they stand up.
post #17 of 30 Old 05-13-2011, 10:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vryce View Post
I would be interested to hear from someone with practical experience with these bumpers instead of general assumptions made by those that have posted.

Remember boats are made with Fiberglass bodies and I have seen them hit some rocks at much higher speeds than rock crawling jeep and come away with minor damage.

It's easy to say that it won't hold up to abuse. But I can just as easily say that I have a Rawhide bumper that stronger than steel. In the end, without proof either way it's just words. Show me a bumper that's taken a big hit and then we can decide how they stand up.
Are you volunteering to buy one? Because I doubt anybody around here is going to be able to give us any real-world testing experience.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #18 of 30 Old 05-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Rock God

Quote:
As a boat owner, I can see where you are coming from, but there are differences. Jeep or any vehicle offroad when hitting a stationary object has the full weight of said vehicle along with whatever momentum making the impact stronger. A boat is floating in water and while it may be going at a higher speed, the buoyancy created in a boat lessens the impact in comparison and thus sometimes the hull can withstand the impact. However, I've also seen plenty of cracked hulls and ones with a large gaping hole from where that buoyancy wasn't enough.

Let's put it this way. Would you take a large hammer and swing it at a fiberglass boat? I wouldn't. Would you take a synthetic rope and hook it to a truck and the boat and take off with the same force you would as if you were trying to recover a vehicle stuck in the mud? I wouldn't either.

Lastly, I just spoke with someone that is smarter than me and is an expert in working with fiberglass. He said there is *no way* this would hold up to a snatch recovery or a direct hard impact on a rock.
post #19 of 30 Old 05-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
looks like a $500 disaster.
Fiberglass will NEVER have the abrasion resistance of metal. Also I do not care for its characteristics when in an impact.
If weight is a concern and you want a sorta normal bumper spend an extra 200 and get the Aberle aluminum one. If weight is a concern and you don't need a normal bumper then get a stubby and be less than the fiberglass and have steel.
I believe the Aberle aluminum bumpers weigh as much as steel bumpers.

In an Aberle thread I specifically asked about weight savings and was told that they built there aluminum bumpers extra beefy and weren't concerned with weight. When they posted the weight numbers of the rear bumper they were within a few pounds of competing steel bumpers.

When hearing aluminum we automatically assume weight but I don't think that was a concern of Aberle. In fact, they kept going on and on about rust prevention so I'm assuming rust was a bigger concern then weight.

For weight savings I would look at Nemisis' aluminum products.

Those that the beast is looking for...
Listen in awe and you will hear him...
BARK AT THE MOON!
post #20 of 30 Old 05-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_fjizzle View Post
Are you volunteering to buy one? Because I doubt anybody around here is going to be able to give us any real-world testing experience.
But they're willing to make assumptions without research or facts to back them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepaddons-chris View Post
Lastly, I just spoke with someone that is smarter than me and is an expert in working with fiberglass. He said there is *no way* this would hold up to a snatch recovery or a direct hard impact on a rock.
Does this smarter person understand that the recovery hooks/shackles are bolted "through" the fiberglass bumper to the frame, like just about every other JK bumper on the market? If that wouldn't hold up to a snatch recovery, a lot more of us have problems than we realize.
post #21 of 30 Old 05-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
But they're willing to make assumptions without research or facts to back them.
I'm willing to make an assumption that a $20,000 boat has a different type of fiberglass then a $380 bumper built in someone garage. Apples to oranges

LoD Stinger◊Warn PowerPlant◊RockHard Cage◊AEV Beadlocks◊37" MTR's◊5.38's◊LoD Tire Carrier◊PSC Crusher Flares◊2.5" Teraflex◊1" PA BL
post #22 of 30 Old 05-13-2011, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

THANK YOU GUYS!
I love your feedback,and finally someone understood that is not my intention to buy one of this bumper!but I just want to understand why they introduce
this product on the market with the confidence that they would selling it to people that actually are always looking for extra protection!
post #23 of 30 Old 05-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
I'm willing to make an assumption that a $20,000 boat has a different type of fiberglass then a $380 bumper built in someone garage. Apples to oranges
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcelandOffroad
They are made from marine quality fiberglass, and will take an impact and keep on going.
http://icelandoffroad.com/WranglerJK...S/Default.aspx

Research is your friend.
post #24 of 30 Old 05-13-2011, 12:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Until I see a video with someone bashing the bumper into a rock or hitting it with a sledgehammer, i don't care about the grade of fiberglass or anything a company says on its own website.

EDIT: I did a little of my own research and found this:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/i...umper-1152986/

And this:

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...475#post162475

I guess those 2 pics and stuff are supposed to show how tough it is...I don't know, i mean it hit a honda accord, ok, kinda impressed. And it scraped a rock in Moab, ehhh, not so much.

But then I found this:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...00/index6.html

And based on the last thread from jeep forum, i would never spend my money with this company. Kinda the same reason I own a trektop and not an ORH top.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s

Last edited by Joneszj; 05-13-2011 at 12:51 PM.
post #25 of 30 Old 05-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I read that...just further proof of lack quality...

There is no distinction between 'all-purpose' and 'marine grade' fiberglass resins.

There is a big distinction between the two types of different resins. They are: polyester and epoxy.

So which do they use?

LoD Stinger◊Warn PowerPlant◊RockHard Cage◊AEV Beadlocks◊37" MTR's◊5.38's◊LoD Tire Carrier◊PSC Crusher Flares◊2.5" Teraflex◊1" PA BL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode