anyone running a Detroit locker in the front axle? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 05-10-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Question anyone running a Detroit locker in the front axle?

i was just wondering if anyone is running this set up. i was thinking about replacing my d30. i would love to build a pr44. what do bare housings come with, just bearing caps? any advise would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukecage View Post
If I hear banjos I'm out! I almost feel like an alien being a black guy in a jeep already, this is gonna be a real adventure
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-10-2011, 07:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm running a Detroit up front, but with manual hubs, so its invisible on the street. But on the trail - the Detroit is king.
post #3 of 22 Old 05-10-2011, 07:17 PM
JKO Addict!

A bunch of rentals in Moab have them in their jeeps..I know cause I rented a 2dr during EJS...what a blast...I really like the automatic Detroits in that thing..

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 05-11-2011, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
I'm running a Detroit up front, but with manual hubs, so its invisible on the street. But on the trail - the Detroit is king.
were you having any issues before the hub conversion?

Quote:
If I hear banjos I'm out! I almost feel like an alien being a black guy in a jeep already, this is gonna be a real adventure
post #5 of 22 Old 05-11-2011, 07:32 AM
JKO Addict!

All of my future builds will have a Detroit in the front and a selectable in the rear. From my experience the front Detroit is fine without hubs - so long as you're not driving it around in the snow or ice. Rear Detroits are a different story, I hate those things on the street.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #6 of 22 Old 05-11-2011, 10:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Defector View Post
All of my future builds will have a Detroit in the front and a selectable in the rear. From my experience the front Detroit is fine without hubs - so long as you're not driving it around in the snow or ice. Rear Detroits are a different story, I hate those things on the street.
Back in the 60's I had a 65 Mustang K-model and it came from the factory with 3:89 gears and a Detroit locker.I never had any kind of problem with it at all,summer or winter driving.My new truck came from the factory with the updated version called the eaton G-80 auto locker.This is my second truck equipped with it and never a problem,and no noise either.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #7 of 22 Old 05-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Rock God

Garage

I heard the new soft lockers are way better than the older models(for the rear). As long as your not lead footin it around coners.
post #8 of 22 Old 05-11-2011, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

i installed a detroit in the rear axle a month ago. much better then the old design but still takes some getting used to on road.

Quote:
post #9 of 22 Old 05-11-2011, 11:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obstruction of Justice View Post
I heard the new soft lockers are way better than the older models(for the rear). As long as your not lead footin it around coners.
Absolutely true. My rear Detroit has never made a sound. Completely different street behavior than Detroits I have installed in the past (My old ones were loud and sometimes unruly in turns). The softlockers unlock smoothly and silently during turns and do everything right on the trail. I also wheel in the snow and ice every weekend in the winter (usually break trail) and drive to ski resorts and have never had an issue. I wouldn't compare the new Detroits to the old ones when it comes to street manners. If I had to daily commute on icy roads though, I would use selectables instead.

Do a search of the the people that preach "doom and gloom" with Detroits, and you will find that they do not use them. Ask people who actually run Detroits and they will tell you that they will never go back to anything else. So take that into consideration. The best advise I can give you is to drive someones JK with the Detroit installed, then decide for yourself.

Also, the idea of a front Detroit and rear ARB is a sound one; Currie has won countless rock crawling competitions with that very set-up.
post #10 of 22 Old 05-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Rock God

Currie sets all of their rigs up with Detroit front and ARB rear.

I like switchable so I'm ARB both.

post #11 of 22 Old 05-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Rock God

I've had Detroits in my rigs for years. One rig doesn't have locking hubs up front and I've never had any 2Wd issues. It's completely invisible in 2WD.

The Detroit Locker 'Sof-Locker' version has been around since about 1996. I've you've had a Detroit that wasn't a c-clip (you can't make a c-clip Detroit a Sof-Locker) version since that time, it was a Sof-Locker. The only common exception to the Sof-Locker are a couple of 9" Ford racing applications which aren't Sof-Lockers.

lohchief mentioned that his truck has a G80 locker (a factory option made by Eaton). It is nothing like a Detroit. They lock if one tire spins more than 50 rpm more that the other. The installers have made a good living swapping these out as they are very prone to failure.

A locked selectable up front is much harder to steer than a Detroit. In a SWB Jeep I'd go selectable in the rear and Detroit up front.

Like others have said, they aren't great up front on the highway in compact snow and ice.
post #12 of 22 Old 05-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Granite Guru

I run an arb up front and what dynatrac said is true. Pita to steer. No problems when i ran an auto locker.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
A few mods here and there
post #13 of 22 Old 05-11-2011, 01:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Do you kids know if Detroit makes one for the 14Bolt?

JKUS Sort of
post #14 of 22 Old 05-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR LIKA View Post
Do you kids know if Detroit makes one for the 14Bolt?
Yes, Detroits are made for both axles normally considered 14 bolts. The 10.5FF version is a 225S10. It is an insert similar to a Lock Right but is much more durable. The 14B case (carrier) is strong enough to support a Detroit (heavy duty-think Caterpillar-applications use the insert style Detroit). The 14B 9.5 semi float is a c-clip version and it is 225C135A. These axles are not the same as later model Dodge and GMC HD 14B axles.
post #15 of 22 Old 05-11-2011, 02:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynatrac View Post
Yes, Detroits are made for both axles normally considered 14 bolts. The 10.5FF version is a 225S10. It is an insert similar to a Lock Right but is much more durable. The 14B case (carrier) is strong enough to support a Detroit (heavy duty-think Caterpillar-applications use the insert style Detroit). The 14B 9.5 semi float is a c-clip version and it is 225C135A. These axles are not the same as later model Dodge and GMC HD 14B axles.
Thanks.

JKUS Sort of
post #16 of 22 Old 05-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Granite Guru

Love my Detroit in the rear, on the street its not noticeable at all just gotta take turns slower to avoid burning out the tires. Great on the trail.

sent from HTC Thunderbolt via tapatalk.

Mike
USCG 04-Present
Just another JK on 35's
post #17 of 22 Old 02-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Granite Guru

Reviving a thread from the dead! Anyone with further experiences running a detroit in the front? I currently run an aussie up front and dont mind it at all. Is it going to be similar?
Thanks
post #18 of 22 Old 06-15-2013, 09:56 PM
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoiiiiojk View Post
Reviving a thread from the dead! Anyone with further experiences running a detroit in the front? I currently run an aussie up front and dont mind it at all. Is it going to be similar?
Thanks
i just searched this for the exact same question you had. anybody know the difference between the two as far as driving/traction goes?

2010 Silver JKU
post #19 of 22 Old 06-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Granite Guru

I now am running a detroit in the pr44 front and it is a night and day difference. I cant even tell the detroit is in there on the street and offroad it just works!

Ardbeg, ON Jeep JK South Trail Start - YouTube
post #20 of 22 Old 06-16-2013, 09:22 PM
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoiiiiojk View Post
I now am running a detroit in the pr44 front and it is a night and day difference. I cant even tell the detroit is in there on the street and offroad it just works!

Ardbeg, ON Jeep JK South Trail Start - YouTube
does it work similar to the aussie? ratchet or pop when turning? how has it been for you in slick conditions?

thanks for info, i'm leaning towards this in my next front axle

2010 Silver JKU
post #21 of 22 Old 06-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Granite Guru

I have never felt it ratchet like the aussie does. I don't really know how it works. It was installed during the last month of winter and only saw snow once. I didn't notice any difference at all. I have no regrets. If you drive it cautiously in the snow or ice you should be fine.
post #22 of 22 Old 06-16-2013, 09:54 PM
V8 dreams

I don't get much snow at all here, a few times a year at best, but if it were just flat out dangerous I guess that could be a deal breaker. Sounds like ya just gotta drive careful, which is basically what you are already doing on slick stuff anyway. The idea of a selectable is enticing, but seems there's more things that can go wrong. I've seen an air line mess up on an arb my last two times to the same park, on the same obstacle. I like having less worries.

2010 Silver JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode