My new trailer - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 05-10-2011, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

My new trailer

well new to me anyway Its a M101A2 that I picked up for $500 and the only thing it needed was a new surge brake damper. Fixed that and got some surplus MTRs ($100) and some used steel 16.5" rims ($50)

So I figure with the cost savings over a "off-road" trailer I can live with its extra size. Besides I would rather have too much trailer instead of not enough. And I think it looks "correct" behind a 4dr

Wheel wells fill nicely with 37's and it tows very well

I ditched the factory swing out support and replaced it with a wheeled jack, hit it all with some sorta matching paint and some skulls

re-wired it all with LED side markers and tails and some reverse lights.

I will toss a line lock wired into the reverse to lock out the surge brakes eventually. I may even go with a lighter axle but right now I see no point. its solid the way it is.

Last edited by usmcdoc14; 05-10-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 05-10-2011, 05:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You bastage... I already wanted one of these things... for what? Just because they are so damn cool behind a Jeep really.

Nice Doc.
post #3 of 35 Old 05-10-2011, 05:09 PM
JKowners Vendor

That is a pretty sick looking combo...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 05-10-2011, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
That is a pretty sick looking combo...
picked up the trailer from a dude in Maryland, he has like 8 more you know you want one

When I get bored I may go and have some plates laser cut to be able to use JK unit bearings as "hubs" and make a trailing arm IFS for it. Then I can run matching tire/wheel all around.
post #5 of 35 Old 05-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Granite Guru

Very Nice. Sounds like you got a smoking deal. Are you going to make a camper out of it?

2009 JK Rubicon:
post #6 of 35 Old 05-10-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

oh ya, search info
M101A1 = this size, old ass BUDD style lugs and wheels
M101A2 = this trailer, normal 8 lug axle
M101A3 = this size but with axle wider to run stock HMMWV rims/tires

Most common problem is the surge damper going, its the little shock in the surge break. don't bother to by an exact replacement but pull it and go to a real trailer shop and get the same size throw one for a modern trailer (I think mine was for a Demco 10 or 20) and drill out the back hole to the same size as that damper. its like 1/3 the price of an exact replacement and can be found at ANY trailer shop.

If you need it lighter weight you can ditch the 8 lug hardfuckingcore killer axles and go with a smaller one. The surge brake is bolt on so its easy to replace with whatever hitch you want. I don't mind surge brakes.

Its fully shocked and rides well, I had 2k of wood in it this weekend and was no where near the bumpstops. Remember that the rating for military trailers is usualy "over land" not over "road" so on highway they can handle a lot more
post #7 of 35 Old 05-10-2011, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal147 View Post
Very Nice. Sounds like you got a smoking deal. Are you going to make a camper out of it?
nope, not out of it.
A drop in for it

I figure I could make a nice teardropish drop in for it with a combo of by hand an an old bed topper.
post #8 of 35 Old 05-10-2011, 05:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice... been looking for one of those, but up here in Canada everybody thinks they are worth $1500 - $2000.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 35 Old 05-10-2011, 06:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
nope, not out of it.
A drop in for it

I figure I could make a nice teardropish drop in for it with a combo of by hand an an old bed topper.
That sounds very familiar.....
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32257

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showpo...0&postcount=31

Let me know if you want some design help Doc. I've considered these every time I come across one, but I think my next variation will be aluminum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/

post #10 of 35 Old 05-10-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07unlimitedx View Post
Nice... been looking for one of those, but up here in Canada everybody thinks they are worth $1500 - $2000.
Thats funny seeing as everyone down here thinks the canadian m101 's are worth 2-3 grand
post #11 of 35 Old 05-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Rock God

Ive been scoping M100s and M416s but cant fathom $1000+ for shitty condition. Thought the M101A1s would be too big, but that's sweet! Looks good behind the rig and wont break the bank. Plus is large enough to actually be usefull hauling yard waste.

Thanks! Oh and

RubiRed Unlimited

ARB bumpers
Superwinch 9.0i
3.5" AEV premium lift
35" KM2s, OR-Fab tire carrier
Viair on board air
post #12 of 35 Old 05-10-2011, 07:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Damn. I was thinking those would be huge behind a jeep, but it actually looks real nice. Any idea on the current weight? It was my understanding they were heavy.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #13 of 35 Old 05-10-2011, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Damn. I was thinking those would be huge behind a jeep, but it actually looks real nice. Any idea on the current weight? It was my understanding they were heavy.
Like 1,300 I think from the data plate. But it is pretty unkillable. you could gut 500 easily by ditching the entire surge brake system and going with a 3k axle with electric brakes. The axle tube on this bitych is like 4" in diameter and HUGE hubs/brakes. Thats not even figuring the surge system and pintle.
seeing as you can get 5 on 5 electric brakes you could re-use your old wheels/tires.
post #14 of 35 Old 05-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Rock God

That thing is friggin' awesome...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #15 of 35 Old 05-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor

looks great!!

•
•
•
•
• Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:
•
•
•
•
•

Magazine Feature:

post #16 of 35 Old 05-11-2011, 04:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

Quote:
So I figure with the cost savings over a "off-road" trailer I can live with its extra size. Besides I would rather have too much trailer instead of not enough. And I think it looks "correct" behind a 4dr
couldn't agree more

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

post #17 of 35 Old 05-11-2011, 09:20 AM
JPK
Rock God

Quote:
oh ya, search info
M101A1 = this size, old ass BUDD style lugs and wheels
M101A2 = this trailer, normal 8 lug axle
M101A3 = this size but with axle wider to run stock HMMWV rims/tires

I don't mind surge brakes.

Its fully shocked and rides well, I had 2k of wood in it this weekend and was no where near the bumpstops. Remember that the rating for military trailers is usualy "over land" not over "road" so on highway they can handle a lot more
Nice trailer, looks great behind your JKU!

I have an M101A1 - no surge breaks, BUDD split rim wheels, odd five bolt pattern of the old Power Wagons, 34"x9"x16" military lug tires.

I also have an M101A2 according to the plate, but the Army retro fitted the wider drop axle of the M101A3. This one has the 37"x12.5"x16.5" MTR's on the eight lug/eight bolt Humvee bead locks. I don't use the inserts for the bead locks, no need.

Both of my trailers have the full canvas top framing and good ruberized canvas covers.

I love my trailers and think they're just about the right size for utility/camping gear hauling behind a JK. A little big and heavy for the Rubicon Trial, but hey, how often do you need to drag a trailer over that kind of ground?

JPK
post #18 of 35 Old 05-11-2011, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPK View Post
I love my trailers and think they're just about the right size for utility/camping gear hauling behind a JK. A little big and heavy for the Rubicon Trial, but hey, how often do you need to drag a trailer over that kind of ground?

JPK
thats the thing

I see all these guys dragging their trailers up some retarded trails and I don't get it. My trailer is staying at "base camp" and the hardest trails it will be going up are usually not that hard. It is definitely durable enough to be drug against trees/rocks/whatever and is no wider than my JK, so if I fit so will it

It would have no problem being an expedition trailer or go anywhere I want to take it that my JK could do without getting mangled
And at the cost, would I really be hurt if it gets a little banged up?
post #19 of 35 Old 05-11-2011, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Oh ya, for note:
Those in Virginia (and maybe some other states) If you buy one from a government auction you will need to WAIT for an ECU (end user certificate) and unless you have done DRMO shit before this may be a few month wait. If you buy from a private party and they either have an ECU or a title already then you are good to go.
If you have no ECU or title in VA you register it as a "homemade trailer".
Go to the DMV and get a new VIN plate, attach VIN plate to frame in an obvious location (mine is over the old VIN) then you call the STATE POLICE !!! to come over and sign the paperwork saying the VIN is attached.
NOte, STATE POLICE !!....local PD are worthless and say some shit like "well we would be held responsible if the VIN was removed and put on something else" DMV is worthless as they will NOT walk out in the parking lot and verify it is on there
Call the state police, tell them local and DMV will not do it and you just need an officer to verify the VIn is attached and YES they do it and YES they have done it before, thanks.

Then register the trailer. Virgina states that a trailer under GVW of 3k requires no brakes or inspection.
post #20 of 35 Old 05-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Banned

That looks awesome. As mentioned above, I always thought they would be a bit much for the JK, but it really does look badass behind the JKU.

I think I may have a new project if I can find one for the right prices..

post #21 of 35 Old 05-11-2011, 12:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice trailer. Good to see a different approach to what to drag behind an Unlimited. I have looked at these as well. It looks correct.

Have my eye on a M116A2 right now. Think I can get it for $300.
post #22 of 35 Old 05-11-2011, 01:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Hey Doc-
Trailer and JK look great!!! $500 was a good deal, too.

I have ONE left here in Socal- Near perfect M101a2 $800. These havent quite caught on with the JK crowd, but I agree--- I think they fit the 4 dr well. 1390lbs, but can be lightened quite a bit.
Attached Images

HUNDY
'11 VIRGIN 2 dr JK

MILITARY TIRES
Hi Tread MT 37x12.50x16.5 $150 ea!
post #23 of 35 Old 05-11-2011, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Hundy, you know that one is not going to last long now because of this thread
The ones is SoCal/AZ are usualy nice and rust free, luckily the dude who owned this one stored it with the leg down so it drained right. Most people/places will store them with the pintle on the ground and the front of the trailer rusts from standing water.

Now what I need from you is another set of BAJA T/As
post #24 of 35 Old 05-12-2011, 10:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Hundy, you know that one is not going to last long now because of this thread
The ones is SoCal/AZ are usualy nice and rust free, luckily the dude who owned this one stored it with the leg down so it drained right. Most people/places will store them with the pintle on the ground and the front of the trailer rusts from standing water.

Now what I need from you is another set of BAJA T/As
Man- the T/As have been few and far between around here!

Oh yeah- I forgot--- I just got a M101a3 in too!

BTW-- FYI- the H1 wheels with 36" or 37" tires will bolt right on a M101a2! (I tried it)

HUNDY
'11 VIRGIN 2 dr JK

MILITARY TIRES
Hi Tread MT 37x12.50x16.5 $150 ea!
post #25 of 35 Old 05-12-2011, 11:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That's a great looking trailer I really want something similar to be able to haul my supplies/spare/other parts when going on long trips. I've seen some set ups with pop up tents installed as well. Just gotta get the cash, I'm spending it as fast as I get it.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode