Steering Wheel Wopperjaw! Need Suggestions! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Question Steering Wheel Wopperjaw! Need Suggestions!

Every stinkin time i go wheelin my steering wheel gets outta whack like 1/4 turn. When i get home I straighten it back out and make sure all applicable nuts/bolts are tight. the last couple of times ive gone the steering wheel went left, today its a 1/4 turn right. Any suggestions will help tremendously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 07:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

For those not from Texas:

"Whopper-jawed"
Anything misalligned or moved out of or away from where it is supposed to be. Usually two objects that normally fit together in one manner that for some reason no longer do so.
"I tried to get that bolt out of the bumper of my truck after the crash but it was whopper-jawed as fuck, so I hit it with a hammer until it came out".
Also know as: crooked, fucked up, out of cantor, out of whack, jacked up

Tuesday - mine does it every time I wheel it hard... not a big deal to crawl under and re center.
post #3 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 07:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Quit hitting the tie rod, or get an aftermarket.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks for clearing up the Wopper-Jawed Definition. Ive been wheelin the piss outta it just seeing what it can and can't do. Just wondering if there is a mechanical reason for it, like if something is wore out.
post #5 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

goodysgotacuda-
do you have any body you would recommend getting a new tie rod from?
post #6 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 07:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Could be:

1. drag link bending
2. tie rod bend
3. Sector shaft bend.

That being said, mine did it a lot until I installed a Rock Krawler tie rod, even with a Poly drag link.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 07:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuesdayJK View Post
Poly Performance, Rock Krawler....

It is what gets smashed the most.... IMO.. it needs to be tougher than woodpecker lips.

post #8 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Granite Guru

Tie rod - bending...or connections failing

I just replaced mine with a Tefaflex unit..the stock tie rod was 3/4" shorter hole to hole as compared to stock...I had a new spare unit also...

i bent it at the hump...and another note if you bend the tie rod "up" at the hump it can then start to come in contact with your transmission cooler lines...not a good situation.

I run a 4" lift and the stock tie rod did not require changing but the aftermarket one is much lower, thicker, and reinforced at the hump or bend location...
post #9 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

would a draglink flip-kit help? What the heck is a sector shaft? sorry to sound dumb.
post #10 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 08:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
would a draglink flip-kit help? What the heck is a sector shaft? sorry to sound dumb.
A drag link flip kit will help improve handling and the drag link is much stronger than the stock one, but mostly I'd say it's your tie rod causing your issues.

The sector shaft is the shaft in the steering box that the pitman arm attaches to. It's prone to bend in the JK with heavy use. Hydro assist will help solve that problem.
post #11 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 08:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
goodysgotacuda-
From what I've looked into, I will buy a Poly Performance. I like that is Chromoly. It has adjusting sleeves that allow you, or any shop, to easily adjust the toe while the tie rod is installed. Other companies, such as the Rock Krawler (I believe) require you to remove one end of the tie rod from the knuckle to perform a toe adjustment. I have had friends be charged extra for an alignment with tie rods designed like this. It can be had for $290 + shipping from the Poly guys through the forum.

Be certain you are not just adjusting the drag link to center the steering wheel. The wheel is "off" due to the incorrect toe from bending the tie rod. The toe adjustment needs to be made first to ensure proper tracking, road feel, tire wear, etc, etc first, THEN the drag link should be adjusted to center the wheel.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 05-09-2011 at 08:07 PM.
post #12 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 08:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrack View Post
Tie rod - bending...or connections failing

I just replaced mine with a Tefaflex unit..the stock tie rod was 3/4" shorter hole to hole as compared to stock...I had a new spare unit also...
Can you share a link to Teraflex's tie rod, I can't seem to find it.

post #13 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

thanks for all the replies. Ill check into Poly Performance.
post #14 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 08:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

What kind of suspension/tires are you running? Just curious.

I am running 37s on a 4" and will have to address my steering very soon. Hydro assist, sector shaft brace etc.... I just hope I can wheel it for a few months while I save up the coin.
post #15 of 18 Old 05-09-2011, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Im running a Clayton 3.5" Lift with 35x12.50R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers.
post #16 of 18 Old 05-10-2011, 10:59 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
Could be:

1. drag link bending
I'd put money on this one.

My factory drag link did the same thing, every wheeling trip it would get slightly tweaked and throw the steering wheel off by 1/4 to 1/2 turn. The alignment would stay true, unless I crunched the tie rod. An aftermarket drag link should solve the problem, I went with the Poly flip solution and don't have any issues any more.
post #17 of 18 Old 05-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Rock God

we were shuttling up the mtn this weekend for mountain biking . I have to drive up a dirt road about 5 miles with mild washboard. By the time i got to the top my steering wheel was about a 1/2" to the right. I have a poly tie rod...brand new drag link. i seriously think my sector is shot. Just no coin to spend money on hydro

2007 Wrangler
Rescue Green

3.5" AEV Lift
37" GoodYear MTR
Pro Comp 7089's
Tom Woods Shafts F&R
OR Fab Tire Carrier
Shaffer Stinger
Bulldog Winch
Buschwacker Flat Flares
Poly Tie Rod
JKS Disco
post #18 of 18 Old 05-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Video showing Rock Krawler's new aluminum tie rod. Its amazing what it can take and I have on on my JK right now.

Marcus at River City Offroad is a supporting vendor and can help get you a deal on any brand that you decide on. www.rivercityoffroad.com

YouTube - JK-Adventure.com Product Review: Rock Krawler's Steel and Aluminum Tie Rods

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 05-10-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode