soft top - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 05-08-2011, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
soft top

Hey everyone, got a question about the interior noise level with the top. I have a soft top and when its up it is super loud inside the cab. Is it supposed to be and I'm just not used to it or should it be minimal? When I say loud, I mean severely loud especially going freeway seeds. My wife and I can't even have a conversation and it drowns out the radio. It seems to be coming from the windshield/top connection point. When I put my hand up there, I can't feel a ton of wind coming in. I'm just irritated by how loud it is. Thanks for your input.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-08-2011, 11:47 PM
Rock God

you bought a Jeep with a soft top, its gonna be loud.

Chicago area needs to work on the Jeep Wave!!![/
Jon, Chicago, IL The real Chicago, not the burbs
2008 Unlimited X-Black-Soft Top - Sold
2013 Unlimited Sport Hard top
Stock =(
Semper Fi
post #3 of 15 Old 05-08-2011, 11:52 PM
Rock God

Garage

No, it should not be that loud. Sounds like you have a fitment issue with the header and weather stripping on the windshield.

Did you buckle down the header first then, stretch the top to fit under the lip of the tub? Are the mating surfaces clean? Do you have the factory supports from the cage to the windshield or aftermarket sport cage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-08-2011, 11:53 PM
Wheeler

Im going to put the soft top on tomorrow, wondering how loud its going to be
post #5 of 15 Old 05-09-2011, 05:03 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinoBW View Post
Im going to put the soft top on tomorrow, wondering how loud its going to be
I switched from the hard top to soft top and I didnt really notice a difference. But all i can hear is my tires humming and exhaust anyhow...
post #6 of 15 Old 05-09-2011, 06:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

I can tell you that at times it seems like the softop is quieter than the hard top, I think (we, me and the wife) it is due to the softop material is better at absorbing the sound as opposed to it bouncing it off of the hard top surfaces, one of the reasons that the head liner mod's seem to make it quieter inside.

I'm glad that you posted this because I have a lound noise issue with the top and it is only when i'm going into the wind. It flaps ALOT and gets that loud drone sound, just noisey in general. When you reach up and put your hand on the softop it is billowed out and is very tight so I would not see how the aftermarket "bow" bars would help but I hope others will chime in and tell their experience of what they are actually used for or ment to do. I just dont want to spend 30-75 bucks for bars and them be pointless and take away from the winch fund that is ever slowly growing.

I have also seen post where people have thought that they had all the door surrounds snapped in correctly on the rear doors when the actually did not. Where the side windows snap into the vertical track it is supposed to wrap around, sort of snap in and be really tight. I have seen a few running around where they were not and the windos seemed loose, I tried to wait a few minutes to try and help but with a 2 year old long waits are not too easy, plus I worried because you know how in this day and age most people get offended by common courtesy help.

I also have seen where the plastic header bar "bows" up and causes a ton of noise and there is a recent thread of a guy replacing his with the metal one and was amazed at the sound level difference inside and many others replied that they had the same experiences.

I would start with checking to see how the header sits on the windshield header to see if it is visible as it should be slightly below so it does not catch the wind and cause it to lift up and then go from there.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #7 of 15 Old 05-09-2011, 07:01 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
Hey everyone, got a question about the interior noise level with the top. I have a soft top and when its up it is super loud inside the cab. Is it supposed to be and I'm just not used to it or should it be minimal? When I say loud, I mean severely loud especially going freeway seeds. My wife and I can't even have a conversation and it drowns out the radio. It seems to be coming from the windshield/top connection point. When I put my hand up there, I can't feel a ton of wind coming in. I'm just irritated by how loud it is. Thanks for your input.

-Dan
You have a plastic header, they bow after a couple years and cause wind noise, water leaks and an overall poor fit. You should consider replacing that with the metal header as soon as you get the chance, this also solves the problem of bent latches which can cause a poor seal.

Just by replacing the header you will notice a huge difference. At some point you may want to also think about replacing the header seal depending on which one you have. If your seal has the little "ribs" at each end then you have the newer and better version, if not you should consider changing it at some point as well.

Anyhow, the cheap plastic headers are garbage and only get worse as they age.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-09-2011, 07:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Just put the soft top on last night and it's a little louder but not ridiculous. It shouldn't be unbearably loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
I also have seen where the plastic header bar "bows" up and causes a ton of noise and there is a recent thread of a guy replacing his with the metal one and was amazed at the sound level difference inside and many others replied that they had the same experiences.

I would start with checking to see how the header sits on the windshield header to see if it is visible as it should be slightly below so it does not catch the wind and cause it to lift up and then go from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SONNYDL View Post
You have a plastic header, they bow after a couple years and cause wind noise, water leaks and an overall poor fit. You should consider replacing that with the metal header as soon as you get the chance, this also solves the problem of bent latches which can cause a poor seal....
If that does turn out to be your problem here's the link to the write-up
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47268

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-09-2011, 08:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I just put mine on about 3 weeks ago... slightly louder than the hard top, but no conversation issues at all.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-09-2011, 10:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm on I40 at least four hours a week, and the only time the noise is a little bit unreasonable is when the wind is blowing. And I mean BLOWING.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #11 of 15 Old 05-09-2011, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Thanks everyone for your input. I think it is the warped plastic header issue. I found that someone else had the exact same problem on that "other" forum and replacing it helped SonnyDL you get a prize!

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #12 of 15 Old 05-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. I think it is the warped plastic header issue. I found that someone else had the exact same problem on that "other" forum and replacing it helped SonnyDL you get a prize!

-Dan
My education came the hard way. My car had more water on the inside than the outside after it would rain. When I got about 25 I sounded like I was riding in a freight train. Not only was mine poor fitting, it was cracked which was why it had a whistle to it.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-09-2011, 01:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

So what sunrider parts are they talking about in the write up? Is this something that needs to be replaced along with the header? Or is this something different?

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #14 of 15 Old 05-10-2011, 01:44 AM
Wheeler

Just got it on tonite, have no issue while driving 70mph on fwy, noticed a little wind noise but still be able to listen to a radio at normal volume, and no conversation issue either.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-10-2011, 02:00 AM
JKO Addict!

My factory soft top was jacked (I think the header) super load leaked..actually so bad it was creating drag.. Switch to trektop had few issues with the bestop header..swapped that... now it's water tight (as can be) and really quiet

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode