Trying to decide on tire size.... Need some pics. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 05-08-2011, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Trying to decide on tire size.... Need some pics.

Hey guys, I'm still trying to decide on tire size. Basically I've got an 07 2dr and I'm going to be going to a 3.5 Teraflex lift. I currently have tube fenders, so i'm trying to decide between 35's and 37's. I already regeared to 4.88's so I think i should be fine either way (might be a little undergeared for 37's). What do you guys think? Are the benefits of 37's worth it? Also pics would be greatly appreciated so i can get an idea of how each looks. Thanks!

07 X 2dr- 6spd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

IMO- It really depends on the kind of wheeling that you do. The most important thing off-road is skill.....not tire size. There are a lot of rigs (because of the drivers) that are VERY capable and not running anything larger than 35's. Rock-crawling is where the increased benefit comes into play when going big.

Consider some disadvantages of the larger sizes too......Decreased gas mileage, increased stress on components, more expensive to buy and replace, more weight to lift and to put on a tire carrier......not a huge difference in any of these areas, but at least something to consider.

1st pic = 35" KM2's (measured closer to 34")
2nd pic = 37" MTR's (right at 37")
Attached Images

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 32 Old 05-08-2011, 09:34 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Stub speaks the truth...

With your mod list I'd just go to 37s...you're already set up for em.

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 05-08-2011, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
IMO- It really depends on the kind of wheeling that you do. The most important thing off-road is skill.....not tire size. There are a lot of rigs (because of the drivers) that are VERY capable and not running anything larger than 35's. Rock-crawling is where the increased benefit comes into play when going big.

Consider some disadvantages of the larger sizes too......Decreased gas mileage, increased stress on components, more expensive to buy and replace, more weight to lift and to put on a tire carrier......not a huge difference in any of these areas, but at least something to consider.

1st pic = 35" KM2's (measured closer to 34")
2nd pic = 37" MTR's (right at 37")
Very nice Jeep! I agree with you completely, tire size or any other mod for that matter is no replacement for skill. That being said, i also have seen too many of my friends and relatives buying parts, lifts, tires, etc only to replace them 6 months later because they didnt like them or whatever. I'd like to try to limit that as much as possible, so i try to be smart about it and ask around and do my research before i buy anything. I dont claim to be the best drive and i never will be, but I'd like to have a Jeep that is capable of doing basically anything I ask it to, plus I'm trying to do this build the right way so if i have to spend a little extra money for better components so be it. I already have a D60 in the rear and hopefully a front one will be in the near future, however power is a bit of a concern and i realize that with the 4.88's i might have to regear if i go with 37's (maybe not, as i'm hoping to be able to do an atlas at some point too).

What did you like about 35's/37's? What was your reason for going to the 37's? Did you regret it or was it worth it? Also, what lift brand/size are you running?

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #5 of 32 Old 05-08-2011, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
Stub speaks the truth...

With your mod list I'd just go to 37s...you're already set up for em.

Marcus
You think 4.88's will be too undergeared with the 37's? thats one of my main concerns. That and i'd probably have to do a new front axle before going to 37's...

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #6 of 32 Old 05-08-2011, 09:43 PM
VKS Fab

Auto or 6 speed?

Handmade One At A Time

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
post #7 of 32 Old 05-08-2011, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Vick View Post
Auto or 6 speed?
6 speed. probably should've mentioned that lol. oops

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #8 of 32 Old 05-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

You should be fine with 4:88's for the short-term. You could even keep 'em in there, but as you know....you will be WAY happier w/ 5:13's.

*Have to note that I have a 6 speed trans.....so it will be worse if you have an auto.

Sounds like a perspective build that might see some benefit with the 37's. Something tells me you are one of the ones (like most of us) that regret/ would regret going to something smaller. With an Atlas and 60's........

Thanks for the compliment. Been a long road......never quite done- lol.

I really liked the KM2's but I REALLY like the MTR's. Had the 35's for about 10k miles, and through a lot of rock-crawling and a little mud. Performed awesome, on and off road. Very quiet for a 35" MT. Very capable too (aired down to about 10 psi).

Haven't had near as many off-road miles on the MTR's yet, but they seem to hook up well on loose soil and rock. Great on the highway. Absolutely no vibration or handling issues.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #9 of 32 Old 05-08-2011, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
You should be fine with 4:88's for the short-term. You could even keep 'em in there, but as you know....you will be WAY happier w/ 5:13's.

*Have to note that I have a 6 speed trans.....so it will be worse if you have an auto.

Sounds like a perspective build that might see some benefit with the 37's. Something tells me you are one of the ones (like most of us) that regret/ would regret going to something smaller. With an Atlas and 60's........

Thanks for the compliment. Been a long road......never quite done- lol.

I really liked the KM2's but I REALLY like the MTR's. Had the 35's for about 10k miles, and through a lot of rock-crawling and a little mud. Performed awesome, on and off road. Very quiet for a 35" MT. Very capable too (aired down to about 10 psi).

Haven't had near as many off-road miles on the MTR's yet, but they seem to hook up well on loose soil and rock. Great on the highway. Absolutely no vibration or handling issues.

Good to know. I've been looking at the MTR's but it looks like it might be a while before i get them. Its looking more and more like I might have to consider bearing with my 33's for a while longer and just bite the bullet and go with a front axle upgrade first...If i do that I can order my front axle with 5.13's and then install that and take it down and have my rear 60 regeared... Just sucks because I want my lift and tires next, but it would probably be smarter not to put the cart before the horse...

Oh and what lift are you running? still curious.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #10 of 32 Old 05-09-2011, 10:56 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun863 View Post
You think 4.88's will be too undergeared with the 37's? thats one of my main concerns.
Depends where you live, I've ran 36's, 37's and 40's with 4.88's and they are fine around here as it is flat. When I get into hills and stuff some 5.13's or 5.38's would be better.

I have an auto, so may be a little different for a manual. FWIW the difference in an auto between 4.88's and 5.13's at 60 mph is about 100 rpm.
post #11 of 32 Old 05-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Good to know. I've been looking at the MTR's but it looks like it might be a while before i get them. Its looking more and more like I might have to consider bearing with my 33's for a while longer and just bite the bullet and go with a front axle upgrade first...If i do that I can order my front axle with 5.13's and then install that and take it down and have my rear 60 regeared... Just sucks because I want my lift and tires next, but it would probably be smarter not to put the cart before the horse...

Oh and what lift are you running? still curious.
X2. Sounds like a better idea to wait and upgrade all together. Hard to get those MTR's right now anyway.

I'm running a 4 1/2" lift that is a combination of RE and Poly Performance components.

FWIW- I had issues with bent axle-tubes, outer C's, ball-joints on 35's (rock-crawling)......so I replaced/ upgraded just about everything when I went to 37's......trussed front and rear axles, skid-plated/ boxed the rear LCA brackets, reinforced the front track-bar mount (frame side), upgraded the steering box by PSC, added a dbl-sheer sector shaft brace, re-tubed the front axle, added all new Poly front axle brackets (shock mounts, LCA mounts, track-bar mount, spring perches, lower shock mounts), Poly rear track-bar bracket, etc......all welded in instead of bolt-on. Also replaced the OEM ball-joints and knuckles with Dynatrac Pro-steer BJ's and Reid Racing knuckles.

post #12 of 32 Old 05-09-2011, 11:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I really need to take a new picture. Here's 35" Toyo MTs...

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #13 of 32 Old 05-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Rock God

I have 4.88's and 37s with a six speed and I'm happy with it. Personally I would not go with the 5.13s, but its really just my preference. It's still geared better than it was w/ stock tires and gearing. I have done nothing performance-wise and I'm satisfied with the way it accelerates/ holds speed. The only plans I have in store is a tuner to adjust the speedo and an exhaust.

It's really up to you, just offering up my 2 pennies.

Stub- I like your super narrow fender chop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
Thats a special kind of stupid right there.......
post #14 of 32 Old 05-09-2011, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
X2. Sounds like a better idea to wait and upgrade all together. Hard to get those MTR's right now anyway.

I'm running a 4 1/2" lift that is a combination of RE and Poly Performance components.

FWIW- I had issues with bent axle-tubes, outer C's, ball-joints on 35's (rock-crawling)......so I replaced/ upgraded just about everything when I went to 37's......trussed front and rear axles, skid-plated/ boxed the rear LCA brackets, reinforced the front track-bar mount (frame side), upgraded the steering box by PSC, added a dbl-sheer sector shaft brace, re-tubed the front axle, added all new Poly front axle brackets (shock mounts, LCA mounts, track-bar mount, spring perches, lower shock mounts), Poly rear track-bar bracket, etc......all welded in instead of bolt-on. Also replaced the OEM ball-joints and knuckles with Dynatrac Pro-steer BJ's and Reid Racing knuckles.
Wow ok. Sounds like a pretty nice build. As much as it's going to kill me to have to wait, I think I'm just going to go with a complete D60 front axle. Then I'll know I won't have any issues with strength. Just gonna be really pricy... but it should be worth it in the end. I like the stance of your jeep and that's very much what I'm after as far as looks. Although I think I'm gonna go with Teraflex's 3.5" lift to try to keep my CG as low as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Depends where you live, I've ran 36's, 37's and 40's with 4.88's and they are fine around here as it is flat. When I get into hills and stuff some 5.13's or 5.38's would be better.

I have an auto, so may be a little different for a manual. FWIW the difference in an auto between 4.88's and 5.13's at 60 mph is about 100 rpm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schubbie View Post
I have 4.88's and 37s with a six speed and I'm happy with it. Personally I would not go with the 5.13s, but its really just my preference. It's still geared better than it was w/ stock tires and gearing. I have done nothing performance-wise and I'm satisfied with the way it accelerates/ holds speed. The only plans I have in store is a tuner to adjust the speedo and an exhaust.

It's really up to you, just offering up my 2 pennies.

Stub- I like your super narrow fender chop.

I live in SoCal so not much for flat land around here, almost everything I'm into is in the mountains/hills. That's not to say 4.88's wouldn't work. That's why I'm asking. And I guess I'm just going to have to try to find someone with either tires that I can borrow and try on my jeep or with a jeep build similar to mine so I can see how it feels to me. I'm still not absolutely sure about going to 37's yet but as of right now that's the direction I'm leaning. Any idea how much fuel mileage drops from 35's to 37's. 37's are looking like they would probably be more beneficial to me. plus I like the way they look. You guys with 2 doors and 37's feel like you have any stability issues?

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #15 of 32 Old 05-09-2011, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_fjizzle View Post
I really need to take a new picture. Here's 35" Toyo MTs...
Nice jeep. If you end up taking more pics post 'em up if you get th chance. I'd like to see em. I like that bumper btw, might end up switching to one of those later on.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #16 of 32 Old 05-09-2011, 05:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

35x12.5x15 BFG KM2 $190 ea
Procomp 8179 Wheels 15x8 3.75 BS

Sorry I didn't pay attention that you had a 2 door.

Last edited by 4x4x4; 05-09-2011 at 06:12 PM.
post #17 of 32 Old 05-09-2011, 05:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

As REQUESTED, 2-door with flat fenders;

2.5" TF springs with 35" KM2s.
Name:  2.5in with 35s.JPG
Views: 643
Size:  45.7 KB

2.5" TF springs with 1/2" spacers and 37" Iroks.
Name:  2.5in with 37s.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  21.7 KB

4" TF springs and 37" Iroks.
Name:  4in with 37s.JPG
Views: 674
Size:  88.9 KB

4" Measured lift over stock (coilovers) and 39.5" Iroks.
Name:  4in with 40s.JPG
Views: 672
Size:  129.8 KB

Keep in mind that manufacture's lifts give different heights, especially with the 2-door. The TF springs tend to give a little more lift than advertised with the 2-door.
post #18 of 32 Old 05-09-2011, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4 View Post
35x12.5x15 BFG KM2 $190 ea
Procomp 8179 Wheels 15x8 3.75 BS

Sorry I didn't pay attention that you had a 2 door.
No worries. I could look at good lookin jeeps all day Just need some 2 door jeep pics to help me get an idea of what it's gonna look like

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #19 of 32 Old 05-09-2011, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
As REQUESTED, 2-door with flat fenders;

2.5" TF springs with 35" KM2s.
Attachment 34258

2.5" TF springs with 1/2" spacers and 37" Iroks.
Attachment 34259

4" TF springs and 37" Iroks.
Attachment 34260

4" Measured lift over stock (coilovers) and 39.5" Iroks.
Attachment 34261

Keep in mind that manufacture's lifts give different heights, especially with the 2-door. The TF springs tend to give a little more lift than advertised with the 2-door.
So what TF lift did you end up going with before you went to the coilovers? How did you like it? So a 3.5pm lift should put me at about 4in then right? How's the stability with your jeep being that high? That's one of my concerns with going to 37's. I don't want to get my CG to high, but the added ground clearance would be nice... Just weighing my options. Nice jeep btw.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #20 of 32 Old 05-09-2011, 10:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
So what TF lift did you end up going with before you went to the coilovers? How did you like it? So a 3.5pm lift should put me at about 4in then right? How's the stability with your jeep being that high? That's one of my concerns with going to 37's. I don't want to get my CG to high, but the added ground clearance would be nice... Just weighing my options. Nice jeep btw.
TF 4" short arm kit was on before coilovers. It gave me 4" of lift with my bumpers and armor. I thought that was a perfect balance between articulation, clearance, and stability with 37s. I wheeled that set-up very hard in some nasty places.
post #21 of 32 Old 05-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Rock God

Rock Krawler 2.5" lift and 37's. 5.13 gears.

post #22 of 32 Old 05-11-2011, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
TF 4" short arm kit was on before coilovers. It gave me 4" of lift with my bumpers and armor. I thought that was a perfect balance between articulation, clearance, and stability with 37s. I wheeled that set-up very hard in some nasty places.
Ok that's good to know. That was one of my biggest concerns with the 37's.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #23 of 32 Old 05-11-2011, 02:04 PM
qqq
Wheeler

i got one 4 inch 39 krawler ,be sure of the real size of tire mine are realy 38,on a 17x9 beadlock

Last edited by qqq; 07-13-2011 at 04:02 PM.
post #24 of 32 Old 05-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Rock God

2" Old Man EMU Long Travel Shock Suspension =

35's

37's

post #25 of 32 Old 05-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Rock God

Don't flame me for the sticker, k, thx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode