Rubicon Express - New Owners - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 05-06-2011, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Rubicon Express - New Owners

This news has been floating around for a week or so.. I didn't see it posted here, so here it is..

Transamerican Auto Parts has bought Rubicon Express.

http://www.team4wheelparts.com/trans...bicon-express/

°lllll°

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube Channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 05-06-2011, 04:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Well, guess I can officially cross them off my list. Never a huge fan of RE, but nothing bad to say about them either..........4WP on the other hand...............I have nothing nice to say.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #3 of 36 Old 05-06-2011, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rubicon View Post
Well, guess I can officially cross them off my list. Never a huge fan of RE, but nothing bad to say about them either..........4WP on the other hand...............I have nothing nice to say.
Transamerican is the parent company of 4wheelParts.

From my observation, when Transamerican buys a company they keep the key people of the company and they still run it.. 4wd.com is owned by Transamerican and is still run by the 4wd.com people... same with Smittybilt, Pro Comp, G2, etc.. Then the purchased company gets an influx of money and resources.

I would rather have a Transamerican owned Rubicon Express then no Rubicon Express at all.

EDIT: BTW, speaking of 4Wheel Parts and Transamerica... they do a helluva alot of good for our sport... just sayin.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 05-06-2011, 05:08 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I deal with Trans-American all day long and they are a good group of people. I'm excited to see Rubicon Express staying on board and as HITMONEY mentioned, they will have more money and resources than they ever had before.

This is a good thing and you'll see a lot of good things come from this.

The guys at 4Wheel Parts can be a little difficult to deal with at times, but they are good for the industry too. It's always nice to have somewhere you can walk into on a Friday afternoon and pick up a track bar or something for the weekend.

I wonder how long it'll be before they have parts cranking out again?

Marcus

post #5 of 36 Old 05-06-2011, 05:08 PM
JKO Addict!

I'm pretty much done with RE and 4WP. I'll never say "never" though.
post #6 of 36 Old 05-06-2011, 05:16 PM
JKO Addict!

4wp is convenient as stated above..if you know what your looking for and aren't searching for answers.. Get in get out kinda situation..As for RE I havnt dealt with them so I can't pass judgment

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #7 of 36 Old 05-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Granite Guru

4WP has bought the intellectual property and rights to the Rubicon Express Name only. To the best of my knowledge there is little to none of them going with the Name. The only guys worth anything left was Scott Becker. Ryan the old owner ran it into the ground! I don't think 4WP can bring big enough bilge pumps to save that sinking ship. Not only was their bushings a huge warranty issue, but the TJ/LJ frame rails in their long arm systems was also a big warranty issue with stress cracks all over! Nothing short of an all out redesign of all the products will be needed to save the Rubicon Express Brand at this point.

The funny thing is in my opinion, the Pro Comp JK long arm system is much better than the RE JK long arm system and 4WP owns both of them.

Thanks!!
Joe Daro
Absolute Offroad

07 JK Rubicon with a "few" Mods....and NO!, My ESP light IS NOT ON!
post #8 of 36 Old 05-06-2011, 09:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Its OK, everything will be made in China now (like after they bought pro comp and smitty), and the labor camp supervisors will demand better.
post #9 of 36 Old 05-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Its OK, everything will be made in China now (like after they bought pro comp and smitty), and the labor camp supervisors will demand better.
Agreed
post #10 of 36 Old 05-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Rock God

I fawking despise 4WP! I used to go there when I was younger, and damn did they fuck some shit up! All it took. You can't get a straight answer for shit around here. Unless your lifting your superduty, you are screwed

07' Unlimited X
PSC Bumpers F/R
8k Warn winch
2.5" RK Max Travel
35" MTR's
5:13 yukons
Sleeved/Gusseted front
Dynomax pre-axle exhaust
post #11 of 36 Old 05-06-2011, 11:11 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I think that its good news. I'll be glad to see RE continue, just hope the new owners dont mess things up.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #12 of 36 Old 05-07-2011, 12:20 AM
Granite Guru

TAP buying Rubicon Express is great news for everybody in my opinion.

First off I I just got back from spending the week in Moab with the whole 4 wheel parts crew for the second year in a row and have gotten to know a few of the key players rather well , from Greg Adler their president to their head engineers and some of the guys who run different aspect of their business and I can tell you that they are as committed to our sport as anybody I have ever meet in this industry.

Yup, no doubt about it they are in the biz to make money but they are also keenly focused on taking care of their customers, offering excellent value on their products and services and I have seen first hand how committed they are to engineering the best products available.

As far as RE goes, they will continue to make suspensions in northern California and many of the current employees will be keeping their jobs.

speculation on my part is that RE was slow to address and fix some of the problem with their suspensions because quite honestly I don't think they could afford to. TAP on the other hand has the resources to not only fix the older issues but with their strong engineering capabilities and finical backing will likely make all new RE suspension systems state of the art.

seeing first hand the lengths that pro comp has gone to get things right with a suspension I have no doubt that any current RE suspension owner is going to be very glad that TAP owns RE. Not only will parts be available, I have no doubt that they will be better then ever.
post #13 of 36 Old 05-07-2011, 12:31 AM
Granite Guru

And just because I am certain that some of you will think I am just swinging from their nuts.

I have been around the 4 wheel parts, smittybilt, procomp,g2 business and people enuff to have seen first hand how they handle their business.

I am not blind and I know some of you guys have had or heard some horror story about them. But I have seen or been involved in more then enuff business dealings with them to say I would personally endorse them as a first class operation.

They do and make possible more for our sport of wheeling then any other company I can think of.
post #14 of 36 Old 05-07-2011, 03:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camo View Post
I have no doubt that any current RE suspension owner is going to be very glad that TAP owns RE. Not only will parts be available, I have no doubt that they will be better then ever.

I'm really hoping that this is the case. It's been tough to stand behind their product given the recent issues and I really hope that as a customer, I feel my concerns are being heard and not blown off as installer error. Now that others have stepped up and offer outstanding suspensions systems for the JK, the RE name has alot of work ahead IMO.
post #15 of 36 Old 05-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Rock God

I'm glad to hear of this, due to I have a RE lift. The only problem I've had with mine is the shocks leaking oil, but I think that is the manufacturer of these shocks is to blame here not RE. I just hope to see a better product(shock) in the future with the kit that I bought. Other than that I'm very content with my lift.

Kevin M.
2008 JK Sahara Unlimited, 3.8L, 3.5" Rubicon Express lift with (5) 35/70R17s' BFG KM2s' on Pro Comp Xtreme Alloys 7069 Series, Red Rock, Crystal Pearl, Galaxy CB Radio, Hella FF lights, Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers, Xenon Flat Fenders, 12K Mile Marker winch, front and rear Rugged Ridge diff guards, Mopar slush mats, and Vision X led rock lights, IPF 920H4 JK Headlights, Superchips flashpac, River Raider rock sliders, front/rear Coast 1310 driveshafts

post #16 of 36 Old 05-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by camo View Post
And just because I am certain that some of you will think I am just swinging from their nuts.

I have been around the 4 wheel parts, smittybilt, procomp,g2 business and people enuff to have seen first hand how they handle their business.

I am not blind and I know some of you guys have had or heard some horror story about them. But I have seen or been involved in more then enuff business dealings with them to say I would personally endorse them as a first class operation.

They do and make possible more for our sport of wheeling then any other company I can think of.
Thanks Camo !

For those of you that do not know me, I have been with 4WP for over 18 years, 4WP will do what ever it takes to make thing's right. Just ask my friend Mustard Dog or Bender...

-Ethan
post #17 of 36 Old 05-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Granite Guru

I don't know about they rest of you but 4wp in Jaxsonville FL went above and beyond on my Powerwagon and have therefore earned my business to help build my JK. It is at there Jax store now which is also a TAP warehouse so if any parts are needed to complete the build it is right there in the massive warehouse full of everything an off roader could want.

2011 4DR Rubi
rugged ridge fenders
38" KM2's on Pro Comp wheels
5.38 gears, Frt and Rear Ten Factory Axle shafts
2.5 RK Max Travel w/ Bilsten 5160's & 1.25 in body lift
c gussets, G2 Diff covers, & Poly Ball Joints
Metal Cloak stinger frt bpr w/ warn winch
Road Armor Rr Bpr

Going on soon!!
PSC Rocker Knockers
line-x tub

2005 Power Wagon on 35's
35" KM2's, XD Rockstar wheels, Tiregate, 2" lift, Frt lightbar
post #18 of 36 Old 05-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Rock God

Garage

This is Excellent News IMO. I have done business with TAP for years in fact about 15! I am glad to see them take RE. The more diversity, parts and players in the bus. helps us all and keeps trails open for our use.

Kevin Carey

Method Motorsports

Email:
post #19 of 36 Old 05-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Rock God

I wonder who pays for Camo's condo and give's him a JK to wheel all week in Moab?? LOL!!

Those of you that think you know everything really annoy those of us that do!
post #20 of 36 Old 05-09-2011, 12:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Despite being owned by the same company, there's a huge difference between 4wp and 4wd hardware. Id assume it'll be the same with re...

And its not like re's customer service could get any worse lol. I'd much rather call bustabizz and let him chase down re than me trying to call and them never calling back or picking up the phone...

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #21 of 36 Old 05-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

This is positive for RE and the Jeep community

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #22 of 36 Old 05-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Just for the record.

I called My sources at TAP to confirm and as I stated RE will continue to be made in Nor-Cal and they will continue their relationship with existing suppliers, right down to using their current powder coater. This is great news for many guys in nor-cal who will be keeping their jobs.

Also, your pro-comp comment is inaccurate, pro-comp suspensions are made in San Diego, sure they use some over seas sourced components just like most companies have to now days. But overall it is made in San Diego. They have 6 huge laser cutting machines in-house that run full time as well as all the other major machinery you would expect to be required to build a major product like a suspension. From CNC punch presses to huge brakes for bending, state of the art tube benders. Basically all the trick machine shop and fabrication stuff we all wish we had access to.
post #23 of 36 Old 05-11-2011, 09:23 AM
Granite Guru

Camo is correct. we build just about every part in house at procomp. i have been with 4WP for 9 years this month and have ran 3 different stores and now run all 5 florida stores. while we are not perfect we try our best to take care of every customer we come in contact with. of course there are the hardcore customers out there that know more than some of our sales people. we work on every type of vehicle and vendor for hundreds of lines of product. its impossible for every person to know everything about every vehicle and manufactures product. that goes for any indusrty. call summit racing in atlanta i can promise there are some people on this website way smarter then some of those guys. i donate thousands of dollars in raffle prizes and winches every year to local clubs big or small. the company does the same nation wide. we try to help everyone in this industry and keep it alive and everyone wheeling. with the purchase of RE we hope to help a once strong company that makes a good product. for years they made some of the best off road kits available. hopefully with our help they can get back on top.
post #24 of 36 Old 05-11-2011, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage

I can't speak for the other Pro Comp kits but the Pro Comp LA brings teh Sexy Back.. but I could be a bit bias And... made in San Diego?? Nice. I don't think there is a kit out there that tucks the Ctrl arm mounts up higher IMO.

Good to hear that alot of the RE people still have jobs.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #25 of 36 Old 05-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Granite Guru

Thought you guys might like to see a few pics from the pro-comp factory in San Diego Ca.

I will make sure I let you guys know when the factory of Pro-Comp will be on Pirate4x4 TV. the place is pretty awesome.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode