And here is how it can all add up..... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-06-2011, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

And here is how it can all add up.....

So my latest project is to lighten up my fatass porker of a Jake and keep only what I need. I have full Poly Performance skids and sliders, and can't sacrifice those - I need them. Also, the winch stays of course. I just removed the Rock Hard bumpers and saved a ton of weight.

This stuff adds up fast!

Tranny/X-member skid: 66 lbs
Gas tank skid: 70 lbs
Transfer case skid: 31 lbs
Engine skid: 30 lbs

Total skid weights: 197 lbs. Not terrible given the protection.

Sliders weight: 135 lbs

Total skids/sliders: 332 lbs

Winch, extra battery, etc: 160 lbs

Total: 500 lbs

Now, this is before bumpers!!!

Rock Hard full width: 160 lbs
Rock hard rear/carrier/skid 200 lbs
Bumpers total 360 lbs

Total everything: 860 lbs!!!

Yes, 860 pounds!! Bringing my 4200-pound Jeep to over 5000 lbs!! Not including wheels and tires of course. No wonder its a nasty porker. The bumpers will be staying off and replaced with super-lightweight pieces.

Now, imagine if I left the bumpers on and stuffed some nice Currie D60s under there. That's another couple hundred pounds at least. Now lets add steel tube fenders, some quarter armor, ram assist.....I would have no trouble building a 6000-lb two door. No wonder some of these guys need a Hemi just to get out of their own way!!

Anyway just some food for thought before you add that next round of plate steel to your ride. It's remarkable how fast it adds up!

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Wheeler

What sliders are you running? Mine are only about 60lbs total.

Also what skids? Im running stock gas skid and rock hard skid that covers, oil, tranny and transfercase, and I don't think it weighs anywhere near 200lbs

Last edited by Jae Suite; 05-06-2011 at 02:32 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-06-2011, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Poly Performance. The site indicates 135 lbs but does not distinguish weight between the 2-dr and 4-dr versions like they do for other products. So they may not be quite 135 lbs but I can attest that they are flippin' heavy (and completely and entirely bomb-proof).

Skids are Poly too, but remember that they replace the crossmember and all the other skids also. You might be surprised - that chit adds up fast and Rock Hard uses some heavy plate stock.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman

Last edited by BADGER; 05-06-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Coonasian

Garage

This is great info and something I think about a lot. I never had any ballpark figures of what all that stuff weights, pretty shocking actually. I have to maintain a daily driver so I consider weight for any mod; I drive more than I wheel. Thanks for putting a good perspective to it.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Wheeler

I mean definitely great info to share. I mean since I put from 37s on going from stock my rig felt heavy as hell. The rest I don't notice so much. I do have a 6.1 hemi sitting in my shop, just need to find free time to do the swap.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Rock God

Garage

I was looking at the nemisis stuff. I couldn't believe how light it was. (Aluminum).
High up on my wish list now!!!!

You smell that?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode