balancing KM2's - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-03-2011, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

balancing KM2's

My father in law mounted my tires and wheels (33x12.50-15 KM2's on 15x8 Black Rock 909s) for me today and called me on his way home to tell me that they took a lot of weight to balance. he said one took as much as 14oz. He said he broke it back down again and repositioned the tire on the wheel, but it still took pretty much. He said they wobbled pretty good on the machine. Is this normal for KM2's? I thought they were a pretty well made tire. We did use stick on weights and he said their machine has you place them along the edge of the wheel near the hub and along the outter (or inner depending on how you look at it I guess) edge of the wheel. Is this just because of the type of weights we used?

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-03-2011, 04:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

When I had KM2s, they balanced great with very little weight.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoulk View Post
My father in law mounted my tires and wheels (33x12.50-15 KM2's on 15x8 Black Rock 909s) for me today and called me on his way home to tell me that they took a lot of weight to balance. he said one took as much as 14oz. He said he broke it back down again and repositioned the tire on the wheel, but it still took pretty much. He said they wobbled pretty good on the machine. Is this normal for KM2's? I thought they were a pretty well made tire. We did use stick on weights and he said their machine has you place them along the edge of the wheel near the hub and along the outter (or inner depending on how you look at it I guess) edge of the wheel. Is this just because of the type of weights we used?
i do not have the KM2, i have a set nitto mud grapplers and when i got my tires mounted the other day the guy said you dont need to balance the tires due to how big the tire is, which seemed completely odd to me but i installed them to see if he was right and thier running good, no vibration nothing. I had them on for about 500miles now highway/city.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I like the stick-on weights towards the middle, so that they aren't as exposed to trail hazards. My KM2's took VERY little weight to balance. I had one difficult to balance MTR in a 37" that took almost 9 oz to balance. That was a lot of weight........but 14 oz on a 33" KM2 is ridiculous.

I would re-balance them. If dynamic/ spin doesn't solve it, then look into road-force balancing.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 17 Old 05-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRubicon90 View Post
i do not have the KM2, i have a set nitto mud grapplers and when i got my tires mounted the other day the guy said you dont need to balance the tires due to how big the tire is, which seemed completely odd to me but i installed them to see if he was right and thier running good, no vibration nothing. I had them on for about 500miles now highway/city.
Im with JKRubicon90, I balanced my 35" maxxis bighorns and they would take a few oz on each side, then I would spin them again and it would say that i needed more somewhere else. After a few tries with each to get them balanced out I just said forget it and put them on there. I have not been able to notice ANY vibrations even with my machine saying that they were still out of balance. FYI I work at a volvo dealership and have mounted and balanced countless tires. On normal passenger car tires 1/4oz out and the tire will have a noticable shake on the highway, once you go with oversized mud tires you will not notice tires out of balance.

2010 2 door 6 speed | Teraflex 2.5" w/ shocks | Teraflex front trackbar | Teraflex Rear Upper arms | Rock Krawler Swaybar Disconnects | Maxxis Bighorn 315/75R16 | Procomp 7032 | AEV Procal | Crown Extended Brake lines | Spiderwebshades |
a few custom things here and there

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-03-2011, 05:09 PM
GKR
Granite Guru

I have a set of both 38" and 40" KM2's. They have been mounted on both a set of Spyderlock and Trailready beadlocks. They run down the road smooth at 70 plus without being balanced. This is my usual experience with BFG tires. Love them or hate them, their QC is pretty high.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Have him check the balance/runout on the rims by themselves. That way he can find the heavy spot on the rims and then try to balance with the tires mounted. Could be that the tire is bad, and this is the best way to find out.
Just an idea, because a pound (yes 16 oz = 1 pound) is way too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE View Post
I have 2 legs, but 3 knees....right knee.....left knee.....wee knee....
Jack of all Trades, Master of Some
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-04-2011, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

He said they repositioned the the bad tire on the rim 3 times and after the second, they took tire off the rim and ran just the rim on the machine and it balanced out fine on its own. I'm gonna have to do something differently because the 1/4oz. weights they used are fine, but the 1/2oz. weights they used it my tie rod end boots in the front and just barely rub the brake calipers in the rear. I figured on the weights being towards the center of the rims though so I thought they would clear ok and I talked to two other guys that have the exact same wheels and they cleared fine for them with stick on weights on.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #9 of 17 Old 05-04-2011, 05:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRubicon90 View Post
Thats strange, had a bud mount 5 37 in Pro Comp Mud Terr on 5 Pro comp wheels, all new. Just finished the lift and wanted to do a test drive on the wifes jeep so I just put them on without haveing them balanced. Same thing drives great up to 75 ( thats where I stop, at least in the jeep) Didnt want to rotate in the 5th one in cause I knew that had to be "The One". But that one is good too. Figured I was just luckey, any thing to this?

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #10 of 17 Old 05-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsub View Post
Thats strange, had a bud mount 5 37 in Pro Comp Mud Terr on 5 Pro comp wheels, all new. Just finished the lift and wanted to do a test drive on the wifes jeep so I just put them on without haveing them balanced. Same thing drives great up to 75 ( thats where I stop, at least in the jeep) Didnt want to rotate in the 5th one in cause I knew that had to be "The One". But that one is good too. Figured I was just luckey, any thing to this?
I never tried the 5th one yet because after I got my wheels/tires on I couldn't resist on test driving it and showing if off and by that time I was like screw it I'll test it when I rotate them at my oil change
post #11 of 17 Old 05-05-2011, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

well, i took the tires off during my lunch break yesterday and took all the wheel weights off. I had it up to 65 very briefly on my way home last night and it felt pretty good but I'm gonna have to drive it more till I decide if I'm gonna let them go or not. I'm hoping they get a little better once they break in...I can feel a slight bit of wobble in them when creeping along and I can actually feel the lugs slapping the blacktop and vibrating through the jeep until I get above 5mph Pretty quiet for a mud tire though. I'll try and get pics as soon as it stops raining around here.

post #12 of 17 Old 05-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Wheeler

...two of the four 265/70r17 BFG km2's i put on needed quite a bit of weight to balance. this was last fall, seems fine to me.

...finally got my spare delivered today and the rim is supposed to be here tomorrow...we'll see how this one balances out. will have full report.

"It was the 'Year of the Wolf' and all the world smelled good"
post #13 of 17 Old 05-06-2011, 12:37 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

My 37's didn't take much weight. After 25K they still roll smooth.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #14 of 17 Old 05-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Wheeler

...6oz. on the spare.

"It was the 'Year of the Wolf' and all the world smelled good"
post #15 of 17 Old 05-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Rock God

My KM2's suck as far as balancing. I really do love the tires offroad but I will never again own a set of these. As a matter of fact I will probably never again own any BFGs.

1 of mine has 26oz of weight and 1 has 24oz. Yes 26 and 24 and that is road-force balanced. I have bad lateral runout but apparently not bad enough for BFG to replace the tire.

A buddy of mine run them on a chevy truck and had 1 blowout at low (10k or so) miles. We looked at the rest and all of them had splits on the sidewalls.

I have had swampers that ran and balanced better.

2014 Rubi Unlimited

2008 2dr X SOLD
with some chit on it
post #16 of 17 Old 05-07-2011, 08:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

4 of mine took very little weight one took 8oz use it as the spare.
post #17 of 17 Old 05-09-2011, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

well, I had it up to 70 on saturday and theres no way I can keep driving it at that speed with them unbalanced, so I'm gonna have to do something about getting them balanced. I apparently just got a shitty batch of tires.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode