Snowboarding! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 12-22-2008, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
14ers

Snowboarding!

Anyone have a good suggestion for mounting snowboards on the JK? I've been throwing them in the back, but that takes a bunch of room. I don't want to spend the $200 Thule wants for rack that mounts on my bike rack.

2008 Rescue Green UJK Rubicon 6 spd with a bunch of super cheap mods!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-26-2008, 11:01 PM
wcr
Wheeler

drill into the top and mount a roof rack..
post #3 of 18 Old 12-27-2008, 06:34 AM
Rock God

I'm going to try this on Tuesday. When I test mounted it, the whole setup was extremely strong!

Adam
First Jeep:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(heavily modded and wheeled!)
Last Jeep:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sunburst Orange

Ordered 11/14/08
Shipped 11/25/08
Delivered 11/28/08

Mods:
Wrangler MT/R 35x12.5x15 on Soft 8's for the trails.
Duratrac 35" on Dick Cepek's for DD'ers.
5.13s, TF 2.5" Coil Lift, LCAs, & track bar, Mopar bumpers, WARN 9.5ti, diff covers, lots o' skids, EVAP relocated, breathers extended, ALLGIG, backup cam, Soundcoat Absorbtion Panels, and more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 12-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Rock God

Mopar has a nice board rack that simply mounts on the spare. I have one and it's low profile and simple to install and remove. They, like almost all ski/board carriers, are more than 200. I think they're 229 ish.

Colorado Mountains = Land of Mountain Trails

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13

'08 JK Sahara, Jeep Green, BFG MT's, Pro Comp 4" Lift, Smittybuilt XRC8 Winch, Olympic BOA front & Olympic Defender rear bumpers, Olympic A/T Slider Rails, Spidertrax Spacers, SeatGlover Seat Covers, Bestop TrekTop, Husky Mats, Midland 75-822 CB, Magellan Maestro 3250.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-13-2009, 07:51 PM
Rock God

EPIC FAIL tonight!!!

Despite the embarrasing goof, I wanted to post this to show you how durable this mount set up is.

Great skiing today in 2 foot of powder in Vail. SOOOOOO tired when we got home and got distracted at the last minute and forgot the rack on the roof.

So here is the scenario for you.

-Yakima gutter mount rack attached to the front panels and rear gutters.
-Thuly cargo box full of ski stuff.
-4 ski carrier full of skis.

-7 foot garage door with me driving straight in. (rack ran straight into my house)

Impact DESTROYED my Yakima rack.Bent the front bar and snapped one of the mounts clean off. Impact then pushed the rack backwards on the gutters until it slid off the end. Think for a moment how much force it takes to bend a Yakima bar and destroy a Yakima mount.

With a hard mount bolted to the roof it would have destroyed my top. Anything bolted through the top would have ripped out. Instead it allowed the rack to pull/slide off and break the rack.

ONLY damage to the top was a scratch on each side. I inspected it for an hour with a flashlight in great detail. This is just proof on how strong and how durable the gutters and front panels are on the JK top.

post #6 of 18 Old 01-14-2009, 05:51 AM
Rock God

OMG!!!

Wow!!!

All I can say is, THANKS for testing and sharing! This is going above and beyond for your fellow JK'ers. Holy tomato!

I thought I gave it a good workout by simply driving in 40+MPH gusts for 300 miles with just skis up top. This is a really good test!

Do you have pics of your setup before? I'll have to search to see if you already posted them (there were so many).

It sure gives me that extra confidence in using the gutters and also in using the gutters on the front panels! If I ever use my Thule box up top, I think I'll use the front gutters to spread the load out better and avoid a big overhang at the front of the box. That leverage worries with if wind gets under it and lifts up. But clearly pushing on the rails doesn't cause them to just give way!!!

I'm gald your top isn't toast. More pics would be great too.

Oh, and PS, if you ever have the chance, install an 8' door. I love mine! Nothing like loading your skis in a heated garage

Adam
First Jeep:

Last Jeep:

Sunburst Orange

Ordered 11/14/08
Shipped 11/25/08
Delivered 11/28/08

Mods:
5.13s, TF 2.5" Coil Lift, LCAs, & track bar, Mopar bumpers, WARN 9.5ti, diff covers, lots o' skids, EVAP relocated, breathers extended, ALLGIG, backup cam, Soundcoat Absorbtion Panels, and more...
post #7 of 18 Old 01-14-2009, 08:40 AM
Rock God

Here are some pics of how it was mounted. Sorry I don't have any with the Thule Cargo box on it. I only put that on if we had 4 people in the Jeep and needed to carry more gear. It was on the Jeep at the time of the incident. I drive 200-600 miles a week with skis on the rack and the rack was always on the Jeep the rest of the time.

If I had used a "bolt through" method of any kind it would have shreded my top.

The reason I can't put them in the back

post #8 of 18 Old 01-14-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
I want to be there right now. You CO folks have it real good when it comes to Snow.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Rock God

Would not believe that would be the only damage - thanks for sharing your goof. And great pixs and beautiful dog -Husky or Mal ?

Oh - and for mentioning you day of skiing in 2 feet of powder at VAIL (!!!!!) no less - YOU SUCK !!!!!!!!!!!

i'll just crawl back to my little Pocono ski bump and its 3 inches of ice......just too sad......

Ron - 2010 Wrangler JK Sport 4dr - Dark Charcoal
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" Jimmy Buffet

post #10 of 18 Old 01-24-2009, 06:03 PM
Rock God

I put a new set up on tonight. I decided to go a slightly different route.

I used Yakima tracks on the rear of the hard top. Nut zerts with 1.5" fender washers on the back side(now painted to match the inside of my black hard top).

Forgive the dirty rack, Jeep and dark pics, it's late and cold.

post #11 of 18 Old 01-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Rock God

I can't fit out the gargage with the ski rack up, or the box on it.

So I have to fold down the ski racks for daily use and only put the box on when we take 4 people skiing. (only takes about 5 min to put the box on).

Sorry for the camera phone pic, I was in a rush and left the camera at home today.

Here is a quick picture with the box on it.

post #12 of 18 Old 01-28-2009, 05:06 AM
Rock God

hehehe, I'm subscribed to both your threads!

What made you decide to change over from gutter mounts to this setup?

Adam
First Jeep:

Last Jeep:

Sunburst Orange

Ordered 11/14/08
Shipped 11/25/08
Delivered 11/28/08

Mods:
post #13 of 18 Old 01-28-2009, 07:09 AM
Rock God

I just happed to have the other rack too. Decided to give it a try since my gutter mount one was now broken. (of course in the process of installing this one I found a replacement gutter mount tower for $5)

post #14 of 18 Old 01-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Rock God

post #15 of 18 Old 04-03-2009, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
14ers

I didn't know anyone had supplied more info on this thread! Good stuff to know. I never though it would be strong enough. I think I'll start looking into the gutter mount option.

BTW, you're not alone on the great day/ major bummer activities. A couple years ago a guy I rode with had an awesome day singletracking, put his bike on top his brand new BMW and drove it straight into his garage. Damage to car, rack, front of house, garage door, and pretty much destroyed his bike.

2008 Rescue Green UJK Rubicon 6 spd with a bunch of super cheap mods!
post #16 of 18 Old 04-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Rock God

If you are still looking for a rack I have accounts with Yakima and Thule. Let me know what you are looking for and I will price it out for you.

James

JKOWNERS Member Discount Available at:

Click the link to automatically apply the current offer!

Follow us on:

post #17 of 18 Old 04-04-2009, 07:38 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
The picture right there is a perfect Jeep advertisement!

2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Rubicon Wheels and Tires
post #18 of 18 Old 04-04-2009, 08:22 AM
Rock God

Thanks!

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode