WHAT'S THE BEST TIRE? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 12-21-2008, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

WHAT'S THE BEST TIRE?

HELLO, THOUGHT I'D GET SOME INPUT ON THE TYPES OF TIRES EVERY0NE LIKES OUT THERE? FIRST JUST THOUGHT I'D LET YOU KNOW I'M LOOKING AT 35X12.50X17 IT IS A DAILY DRIVER SO I'M LOOKING FOR A A/T TIRE. I'VE BEEN CHECKING OUT MICKEY THOMPSON MTZ AND PROCOMP XT MT SO YOU GET THE IDEA. IT WILL BE TAKEN OFFROAD WHEN IT'S DONE. SO AGAIN I NEED A GOOD ROAD TIRE PLUS DESENT OFFROAD. THANKS AGAIN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-21-2008, 08:40 PM

Pro Comp XMT, great on the road and the in the dirt. IMO one of the best tires for a DD/off road jeep.
post #3 of 25 Old 12-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Granite Guru

FIRST OFF, NO NEED TO YELL ON THE FORUM!

This topic is pretty well covered on this and other forums so do some searching to avoid getting flamed.

Second, what kind of wheeling will you be doing? If it is mostly dry, then the BFG A/T KO is pretty popular and lasts a very long time. It is supposed to be one of the best on the road and one of the worst in mud though.

The Cooper Discoverer ST is a bit more aggressive but is still good on the street, though I've seen mixed reviews related to excessive wear, though it isn't clear if those were cases where people were exceeding the load rating. It is reported to be a bit better offroad but doesn't last as long as the BFG.

A few other AT tires are popular, but these made it to the top of my list when I replace my BFG M/T KMs with 2 sets of tires. IROKs for offroad and one of the two I listed above (probably BFG) for DD.

Bryan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 12-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Rock God

Goodyear MT/R's for rocks.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SHAFFERS OFFROAD. YOU WILL BE SORRY YOU DID..
post #5 of 25 Old 12-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Ipe
Rock God

Super Swamper Boggers are definitely the choice, no question. Absolute best AT you can get. Yep, yesserie, no doubt, uhhh huh. Most definitely Boggers.
post #6 of 25 Old 12-22-2008, 10:03 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo View Post
IT IS A DAILY DRIVER SO I'M LOOKING FOR A A/T TIRE. I'VE BEEN CHECKING OUT MICKEY THOMPSON MTZ AND PROCOMP XT MT SO YOU GET THE IDEA.
Both of those tires are MT's not AT's.

There are many good tires available, and even more opinions as to which ones are the best.

Your best bet is to check out what people are actually using on the trails you plan on going on. You will rarely hear anyone say the tires they are running are not the best thing since sliced bread, so you really need to see what people are using on the type of terrain you will be going on and what works.

I would be amiss if I didn't throw in my 2c though, so I would recommend BFG MT KM2's. Excellent on rocks, loads of traction and great sidewall flex, good in mud, and the best MT I've tried in sand. They balance easy, wear very well, and are the quietest MT I've heard (or not) on the highway.
post #7 of 25 Old 12-22-2008, 10:12 AM
JKO Addict!

x2 on the BFG KM2's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #8 of 25 Old 12-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to vegasjeep

If you are wheeling in rocks then I would not be wheeling with BFGs unless you know that sidewalls are often torn. I mean often!

With that said the Pro comp Xtreme AT is a GREAT onroad tire and has damn good tread for offroad wheeling.

Another great tire is Toyos MT. ALthough a very aggressive MT tire it works GREAT in all situations, has a stiff thick sidewall and is QUIETER then a BFG AT on road. Their lug design is what every manufacture is trying to copy now. They just are quiet on road and perform great off road.

08 Rubicon Unlimited-Just about stock!
I'll keep my guns, my freedom, and my money... You keep "The Change"!
Ask me about SH!TTY companies like Full Traction, Pure Jeep, and others!
post #9 of 25 Old 12-22-2008, 10:47 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasjeep View Post
If you are wheeling in rocks then I would not be wheeling with BFGs unless you know that sidewalls are often torn. I mean often!
That may have been true with MT KM's, but the KM2's have a much stronger sidewall, and I've seen plenty of people abuse the sidewalls real hard on rocks and not have an issue yet.

Quote:
Another great tire is Toyos MT. ALthough a very aggressive MT tire it works GREAT in all situations, has a stiff thick sidewall and is QUIETER then a BFG AT on road. Their lug design is what every manufacture is trying to copy now. They just are quiet on road and perform great off road.
I had a set of 38x15.50 Toyo MT's on a previous vehicle and they are very quiet and well behaved on the road, but I think the KM2's are even quieter. I found the Toyo's to have great traction on rocks, but not so good when the rock was wet. Overall they are great tire though, and offer a good balance between offroad performance and on-road manners.
post #10 of 25 Old 12-22-2008, 10:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipe View Post
Super Swamper Boggers are definitely the choice, no question. Absolute best AT you can get. Yep, yesserie, no doubt, uhhh huh. Most definitely Boggers.
x2 on the Boggers, best tire out there for the skreet. Can't be beat. They're OK off road too.
post #11 of 25 Old 12-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Wheeler

I run the xtreme mt 35"s, they worked great at the Superlift orv park and are great on the street. But, with less than 15k and half the tread gone, that could be better.

Last edited by gtay14; 12-22-2008 at 11:02 AM.
post #12 of 25 Old 12-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Ipe
Rock God

Just in case you were wondering... I was joking about Boggers.

Lots of the folks above are talking about wheeling tires, but you still haven't answered what sort of terrain you're going to be using them in and what you plan on doing with them. The answers to these questions play a pretty huge role in getting you a decent answer.

For all we know the best tire for you may be a 36" Pirelli PZero with 1/2" of sidewall rolling on blingin dubz with spinnaz.

post #13 of 25 Old 12-22-2008, 11:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipe View Post
Just in case you were wondering... I was joking about Boggers.
Aw man, I thought you was fo rizzle.
post #14 of 25 Old 12-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Ipe
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
Aw man, I thought you was fo rizzle.
But wait! Didn't you did hear that Interco is coming out with a 355/25R28 Bogger, right?! Its gonna be da shiznitz on da Donk sceyne, YO!
post #15 of 25 Old 12-22-2008, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Boggers you had me going on that one. My bother had them and you was all over the place with them but hey they do look good though. I wheel in central KY around Somerset area. So the terrain goes from mud to rocks then around the next turn you can be in sand so I really need a AT tire. Cause like I said my Jeep is a daily driver and a weekend warroir. So all answers are very helpful and needed. Again thanks for everything and if anyone is wheeling in the somerset area drop me a line. Becareful out there.
post #16 of 25 Old 12-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo View Post
So the terrain goes from mud to rocks then around the next turn you can be in sand so I really need a AT tire.
Whoa, hold on there a sec. AT stands for All Terrain, but it is really Mud Terrain Light. They are usually meant to be more street friendly (quieter, better handling, longer wearing) than an MT while sacrificing some offroad performance. Unless you are wheeling in sand dunes then I wouldn't suggest going with an AT for mud. The smaller tread voids fill up with mud really quickly and turn into slicks.

The more street friendly MTs sound more like what you are looking for, like the KM2.

My $0.02,
Bryan
post #17 of 25 Old 12-23-2008, 05:15 AM
Ipe
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt3073b View Post
Whoa, hold on there a sec. AT stands for All Terrain, but it is really Mud Terrain Light. They are usually meant to be more street friendly (quieter, better handling, longer wearing) than an MT while sacrificing some offroad performance. Unless you are wheeling in sand dunes then I wouldn't suggest going with an AT for mud. The smaller tread voids fill up with mud really quickly and turn into slicks.

The more street friendly MTs sound more like what you are looking for, like the KM2.

My $0.02,
Bryan
What he said.

The moment you mentioned mud all thoughts of an AT tire went out the window. The soil/mug in KY is very clay based, isn't it? If so you want to run, not walk, away from just about every AT tire out there. That is, if you ever intend for your JK to ever go off the street.

The KM2 is a great suggestion. You could do much worse than going with this tire.
post #18 of 25 Old 12-23-2008, 05:41 AM
Wheeler

If you are dead set on an AT tire, look at the Dick Cepek FC II. Like the others have said above, if you have mud, you're gonna want an MT tire. The Dick cepeks are a decent compromise though since they have large voids between the outer lugs, for an AT tire anyway.

Just to through my $.02 on the MT tires, I have a set of both KM2 and Pro Comp XMT (different vehicles) and they both do really well. If I had to pick one, I'd go with the KM2 just because they seem to not wear as fast as the Pro Comps.
post #19 of 25 Old 12-23-2008, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Sorry my bad I meant to say MT not AT. I've not looked at the KM2's yet but I will. I've checked on about everything else though. I know I can't go with anything AT just because of the mud around here I've already had to pull to many other people out of it with AT's on them. But I also don't have the money (mwc) to buy tires every year. Again thanks and I'll check on those KM2s.
post #20 of 25 Old 12-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Granite Guru

I wish somebody would try the summit mud dawg already and review it...
It's a rebranded Maxxis Bighorn.

http://www.summittire.us/Specs/Pg%2019%20Mud%20Dawg.pdf

Safety fast,

Get to know
post #21 of 25 Old 12-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Rock God

Mickey Thompson has some great looking AT's. I really liked the Bridgestone Dueler AT's that came stock on my Sahara. Great MPG and silent. You'ld have to check on sizes.

Colorado Mountains = Land of Mountain Trails

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13

'08 JK Sahara, Jeep Green, BFG MT's, Pro Comp 4" Lift, Smittybuilt XRC8 Winch, Olympic BOA front & Olympic Defender rear bumpers, Olympic A/T Slider Rails, Spidertrax Spacers, SeatGlover Seat Covers, Bestop TrekTop, Husky Mats, Midland 75-822 CB, Magellan Maestro 3250.
post #22 of 25 Old 12-31-2008, 09:13 AM

post #23 of 25 Old 12-31-2008, 10:26 AM

I've had the BFG AT's on my last 2 Jeeps (YJ, LJ) and they were incredible. They last long and you dont have to worry about them on the road. Off-road, they do have thin sidewalls. But I never had a problem with mine off-road. Not only that, they're cheap.
post #24 of 25 Old 12-31-2008, 10:34 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorDad View Post
I'm thinking of trying those myself. I've seen some pretty descent reviews on them, and they aren't priced to bad.

If you wanna read lots of tire reviews, check out Offroaders.com, theres all kind of tire reviews there.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #25 of 25 Old 12-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Granite Guru

My wife has 35" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ on her Unlimited JK. They drive fine on the street not too much noise. I don't know if they will ever see offroad conditions. Maybe snow on a trip. I am going to get some Dick Cepek Crushers. I do not see them as often as others, but i like the way they look. I talked to a guy that had some and he really liked them.

mark

2010 Rubicon Silver
Rugged Ridge XHD front Bumper
Shorty Antenna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode