Budgeted Build Suggestions? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-12-2011, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Budgeted Build Suggestions?

As part of my promise to Ford that they can kiss my hairy white ass, in the next few weeks I may be selling my Bronco on 38s (as well as all kinds of other useless crap in my garage) to dive into this whole JK thing. I've been looking at tires, wheels, lift kits, fenders, bumpers...

This is my first Wrangler. I've had a couple XJs, a couple FSBs, a Sami, and an Explorer, so I'm accustomed to having to scavenge the junk yards and message boards for crap someone else built so I can try to make it work on my junk- never before have I had an off-road vehicle with such an aftermarket support system. It's overwhelming, to say the least.

Deep breath.

Most of you guys have a lot of experience under your belts (referencing your off-road/wheeling/4x4 experiences, not that Mexican hooker who left you itching for two and a half weeks), so I figure, "Why not go to the guys who have gone different routes and fucked up on their dimes, so I don't have to fuck up on mine?" So here I am.

If you had a budget of $3k what would you do?

In one ride, eight days after I bought the Jeep, I crunched the passenger ends of both bumpers... so those are on the list, but they also eat up A LOT of the cash. I've seen the threads to cut the stock front down to a stubby as well as add a winch with the stock front in place. I may wind up doing that to save a bit of coin while I get started. (I do already have replacement stock front bumpers that were donated by a generous local wheeler who was sympathetic to my cries to get my wife to STFU.)

Ideally, I'm leaning toward going straight to 35s with 15" wheels and flat fenders with a minimal lift, but I'm not going anywhere near a body lift. I'd rather delay some upgrades than settle for a body lift.

Here's what I'm thinking thus far:
(5) 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2 = $1050
(5) 15x8 3.75BS Cragars = $ 250
Teraflex 2.5" lift with shocks = $750

That leaves me with roughly $1k for bumpers, which I realize will be hard to do. I rarely fit my budget, but I'm hoping to at least stay very close. I'd rather "complete" each aspect than have things halfway there, like saving money to get the lift without shocks only to order them later on- I'd rather just order the lift with shocks from the beginning and not have to go back into that any time soon. I'm open to other lift kits; the Teraflex is just a name I hear very often. The bumper I'm told to get is the Rugged Ridge, but it says it accomodates UP TO a 35" tire. Seriously, guys? That's gotta be a joke. We had several JKs on the ride last weekend hanging 35s from their tailgates.

So anyway- I'll open the floor for constructive input, as well as the occasional, "STFU and search, Noob!!!!111!!11!1!"

1988 Wrangler YJ, Q78-15s, some of this, some of that...
2014 Grand Cherokee Limited, EcoDiesel, RWD...
2013 RAM 1500 4x4, more buttons that I'm usually allowed to touch...
2007 JK X, just getting started...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-12-2011, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Another note... this is not expected to cover the entire build. As soon as I can swing the cash, I plan to regear with an ARB in the front. That aspect will not be covered in this initial process.

post #3 of 7 Old 04-12-2011, 09:22 PM
Rock God

Garage

Looks like a solid plan. I would also add in some c-gussets and axle sleeves for the front axle.

Another great lift to look at is the Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod paired with Bilstein 5100's. Rock Krawler lifts provide great on and offroad handling and ride. You can also upgrade them as your budget allows with adjustable control arms etc.

For bumpers look into Poison Spyder BFH front bumpers really affordable and give you a great amount of clearance for wheeling. You can also do a rear Poison Spyder RockBrawler with tire carrier that will hold up to a 40" tire!

Also start a recovery equipment plan like:

Winch
HiLift
On-Board Air
Toolkit

Other than that welcome to JKO and the Jeep world!

Rock Krawler, Poison Spyder, Rigid Industries, Currie and more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OR CALL 813.361.0869

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Good plan. But I would stay away from 15" rims. What if you want to do a high steer setup someday, you wouldn't have the room, its a really tight fit with them. Some even require grinding of some parts to fit in there.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #5 of 7 Old 04-13-2011, 12:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

With your budget (or there abouts) I'd go:

-Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel Kit with Bilstein shocks (much better shock than what comes with the Tera kit IMO...you'll be really happy if you go this route), or even look at Rock Krawler's new shocks

-KM2s (keep in mind that they do run small)...you could save some money here with some different rubber that would perform just as well and run truer to size

-Spidertrax spacers (stock wheel works fine with the 35x12.5 or even a 37...wait for wheels until you really want to upgrade)

-As far as Rugged Ridge, I'm not a huge fan of their stuff. Others run it with no problems. Look at Poison Spyder Customs...yes it is more expensive, but you get what you pay for. There is not one person on this site that runs PSC stuff (and there are a lot of us) that would tell you they regret the purchase, I'd bet my Jeep on it.

If I'm going to spend money I'm going to do it right the first time, and not be upgrading stuff later and wasting money. I learned that with my last rig (FJC), and that's why I've been taking it slower with this build. I can honestly say I'm EXTREMELY satisfied with everything that I've done so far and wouldn't change a thing. The man you need to talk to is Marcus at River City Offroad. He's a vendor here and a good guy to boot...he can help you with all your questions and pricing

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #6 of 7 Old 04-13-2011, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Fizzle- I agree that I don't want to spend money twice. That's why I'm here asking you guys instead of guessing and hoping I have it right.

I appreciate the Poison Spyder reference- I'll certainly check them out.

post #7 of 7 Old 04-13-2011, 06:24 AM
JKowners Vendor

The TeraFlex kit your looking at will be a great starting point! I would also look at the mentioned Rock Krawler kit as well as the Synergy Suspension ones. Each offer their own take on a lift kit and each get the job done really well on the JK.

For armor, I agree with looking into the PSC items. Amazing products but may not fit in your budget.

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode