Superchips and mileage - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 04-12-2011, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Superchips and mileage

I know the JK isn't as economic on fuel as most of your guys priuses, but that being said, gas is nearing $4/gal in my area. I'm considering getting a superchips for a number of reasons, one of them being mpg improvement. To anyone who has a superchips, what kind of mpg increase did you see? I'm not expecting to get super mileage, but the closer to 20mpg I can get the better. I've got an auto unlimited, 2.5 in lift, and 33's with 3.73's. I drive conservatively. If anyone who has a similar setup could chime in I'd appreciate it.

08 Unlimited Steel Blue
All Sorts of Crap on it

In the space of about 30 seconds, this man was in a car accident, an explosion, lit aflame and then kicked in the balls with more force than a human foot can technically take.

Future terrorists take note: this is your retirement package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-12-2011, 07:16 PM
JKO Addict!

I seem to get 1-1.5mpg out of it on my rig. I imagine it to take a little bit to pay off the $300+ in just fuel mileage though. Has some nice other features, but I don't think I'd recommend buying one for just fuel savings.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-12-2011, 07:21 PM
Granite Guru

What are you averaging now, 14-17? Not that it matters much, gains will be gains. Between myself and those who have either used SC or any other programmer, 1-2 mpg average is not out of the realm. I have a manual so I don't think I saw as big of a boost, but I have buddies with autos telling me thy went from 11 mpgs to 13 or a little more on surface streets.

The auto just gets more out of tuning.

I would conservatively say 1.5-2 mpg consistantly, so basically you'd gain 2 gallons, or 8 bucks per fill up in my experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-13-2011, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

1-2 mpg was about what I was expecting. I'm looking at the Superchips for other features like recalibrating the speedo and whatnot.

08 Unlimited Steel Blue
All Sorts of Crap on it

In the space of about 30 seconds, this man was in a car accident, an explosion, lit aflame and then kicked in the balls with more force than a human foot can technically take.

Future terrorists take note: this is your retirement package.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Wheeler

No service for 2011

Superchip still does NOT have data for the 2011s. If you have a 11 you better go elseware. I have a SC I used in my 08 but traded last Oct and still waiting for SC to update. Big waste of $$$.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-13-2011, 09:42 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockednloaded View Post
1-2 mpg was about what I was expecting. I'm looking at the Superchips for other features like recalibrating the speedo and whatnot.
You shouldn't have to recal the speedo with 33's. Mine is actually dead on now with 33's. For some reason manufacturers these days calibrate speedos so that they show faster than youre actually going...maybe so youre warranty runs out faster>? Depend on how many miles you drive daily the payback time with a 1-2 mpg increase might not be worth it. Now if you plan on changing gears and/or going bigger tires in the future then you might want to invest.

"Sweet ain't as sweet without the sour"
post #7 of 19 Old 04-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Wheeler

I'm new here: What are the details on this Superchips thing? hell, 1-2 MPG could be worth it over a shorter period for me than most, as I have a 30 mile commute each way (luckily mostly highway, but there are a couple bottlenecks of traffic)
post #8 of 19 Old 04-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Wheeler

I have an 09 auto unlimited with 33's and 3.73. went from 13 14 mpg to 14 15
mpg up to 16 17 mpg running the 60psi the tire calls for but it rides a whole lot rougher. I have only used the 87 tune though not sure what it will do with the gas mileage tune.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-19-2011, 01:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I don't have one but I've read 1-2 mpg at best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUJeep View Post
You shouldn't have to recal the speedo with 33's. Mine is actually dead on now with 33's. For some reason manufacturers these days calibrate speedos so that they show faster than youre actually going...maybe so youre warranty runs out faster>? Depend on how many miles you drive daily the payback time with a 1-2 mpg increase might not be worth it. Now if you plan on changing gears and/or going bigger tires in the future then you might want to invest.
bad advice lol... Mine came with 30.5's and it was dead on with gps and highway mile markers. With the 32" rubi takeoffs I was about 5pmh off at 70.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.

Last edited by gold knight; 04-20-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: revision a: was 31.5, incorrect :)
post #10 of 19 Old 04-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Rock God

I didnt even see a 1mpg increase with mine. 3.73 stock tire manual

post #11 of 19 Old 04-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I did not see any MPG increase either, just the addition of pinging. I no longer run my tunes, just use it for other functions.

I have a stock sahara, 3.73 auto.

09 BLACK Sahara 4 Door - Auto, G2 4.88s
TF 2.5" Coil Lift w/shocks, TF Frnt Adj Trac, TF FLCA, JKS Discos, JKS Rear Adj Trac, LOD Full Rear GEN2,
A.C.E. Rock Rails, Viper TB: Check the Garage for more.
post #12 of 19 Old 04-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Rock God

Garage

I'm in an 08 x unlimited auto w/ 3.73's on 35's and 3" lift. I've had a superchips programmer for right at a year (bought it at the last Jeep Beach!). During that time I've run it two ways when on road. First, on my 35's I run the 87 octane mode, and in this mode my experience is consistent with about 1.5 mpg savings. Add to that instant throttle response and a noticeable power gain and I'm a happy customer.

Second, when I'm feeling cheep and driving 800 miles a weekend down to south FL and back I'll run it in "economy" mode with little stock tires on stock steelies. That gets me about 16, or roughly 4.5 mpg over normal. It also nics the performance gains and my rig looks stupid with a lift and no fenders on stock wheels. Still, I really hate running down my mud tires on the interstate and I'm cheaper than I am proud.

I'll be honest, I didn't instantly feel a power gain after programming my Jeep. I think I was being hyper sensitive trying to tell a difference. But I did notice the throttle response. I have two "power" mods, the superchips and a k&n cai. I have a buddy with an 08 auto, same lift and tires, but without the programmer and cai. He chirps off the line quicker than me, thanks to his 5.13 gears, but a little bit into second gear my throttle body opens up and I'm gone.

Compared to any other moderately equipped truck or passenger car I'm still slow as crap, but real world testing side by side with a comparable Jeep has proven to me that the programmer really does make a difference.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." --Stephen Wright
post #13 of 19 Old 04-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Rock God

my jeep is fairly stock with stock tires and i actually lost 1-2mph after installing Superchip 87 tune. Before i could get 21mph on the highway and now best i see is 19mph

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
post #14 of 19 Old 04-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I have had my Flashpaq for a year and a half and a AiRaid CAI since I bought my JK and saw about a 3 mpg gain with the 93 tune running 91 gas. I have seen as high as 25 mpg instantly on the high way but my best tank has only been 20 mpg with stock tires, 6spd and 4.10 gears.

The power increase on the 93 tune is the only reason I have suffered through the higher gas prices.....it is not a street racer but I felt it was a noticeable improvement over stock.

Since I put my 35's on I have yet to run a full tank of gas through it but the mpg gauge in the dash shows a loss of about .5 mpg. My effective gear ratio now is 3.75 and it definately shows a lack of power....much the same as what my stock tune was. I am anxious to see what my numbers are going to be with the new tires.

09 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Zone Offroad 4" lift with 35" KM2
Superwinch LP8500 in ARB front bumper
And too FEW Lights!!
post #15 of 19 Old 04-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Wheeler

Hey Penn, don't forget to mention that mine is a 2 door, compaired to your 4 door. So there is a weight difference also. My stuff is on order so when it comes in I will call you to help me install it.
post #16 of 19 Old 04-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Granite Guru

Mine will be here tomorrow and am interested to see what it does. I am also regearing next week to 5:13 so I am hoping for something better than the 13mpg I am getting.
post #17 of 19 Old 04-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
I don't have one but I've read 1-2 mpg at best.
bad advice lol... Mine came with 31.5's and it was dead on with gps and highway mile markers. With the 32" rubi takeoffs I was about 5pmh off at 70.
5MPH difference and only 1/2" bigger?!?!?! That's crazy talk!

post #18 of 19 Old 04-20-2011, 12:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUJeep View Post
5MPH difference and only 1/2" bigger?!?!?! That's crazy talk!
oops my bad I meant 30.5 (245/75R16) up to 32 (255/75R17)

(30.47/32.06)*70mph=73.45mph = ~5mph at 70 lol

Either way it was dead on from the factory. YMMV

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #19 of 19 Old 04-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Rock God

Garage

That's better GK. Just didn't want the noobies to get confused with bad advice! haha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode