aftermarket sound system - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 04-12-2011, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
aftermarket sound system

hey guys, just wondering what most of you out there are running, speaker wise. i'm kinda a weirdo and want to run the same brand all the way thru. i'm eyeing a kenwood head unit, so would ultimatley like to run the same speakers as well. haven't bought speakers since my first car and i was running just subs. don't want to be that guy who's "bumping his stupid ass music as stop lights, and in the walmart parking lot." lol. just want something that's a little louder and better sound quality than the stock stero system that i have now. have a base model x with the non infinity system. thanks.!

2011 MANGO TANGO sahara jku....bone stock.
r.i.p.08 jk x steel blue

CALL MARCUS.. NUFF' SAID..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Granite Guru

Im running Kicker componets throughout with a pioneer nav unit up front. I have the tweeters mounted in the pods on the dash so it looks factory. Ive been a fan of Kicker for years.
post #3 of 21 Old 04-12-2011, 10:29 AM
JKowners Vendor

You can run Kenwood if you would like! They make some nice sounding speakers and great headunits! They also have a marine line that is made for the weather! We carry both of them and more so if you need something, let me know!

-Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

Phone: 864-437-8029
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 04-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Rock God

I have always been a fan of kenwood, ever since my first car. I have a keenwood touchscreen head unit, kenwood amp, and kenwood 12's. The subs aren't comp subs but the sound quality is good.

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rescue Green NSG370
RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

A lot more to come very soon!
post #5 of 21 Old 04-12-2011, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco08jk View Post
I have always been a fan of kenwood, ever since my first car. I have a keenwood touchscreen head unit, kenwood amp, and kenwood 12's. The subs aren't comp subs but the sound quality is good.
see that's what i'm wanting is that kenwood touch screen unit with the nav and blue tooth and stuff, and throw in a back up cam as well.

r.i.p.08 jk x steel blue

post #6 of 21 Old 04-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Rock God

I put a Kenwood KDC-X794 with Polk db6501 and db651s speakers and it sounds great compared to the stock X stuff. I didn't use any polyfill/dynomat and don't have any rattles. Got all my stuff from sonic electronix they had good prices and service.
post #7 of 21 Old 04-12-2011, 12:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Kenwood KDC-BT954U head unit
Alpine MRP-M500 mono subwoofer amplifier
Alpine SWE-1043 10" 4-ohm subwoofers (pair)
Sound Ordnance BB102-75S sealed enclosure
Stock speakers

Everything lined with Dynamat Xtreme and stuffed with Polyfill

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #8 of 21 Old 04-12-2011, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Just another question about the kenwood head units. The one I'm looking at is model dx-616 or something like that. It has the hands free dialing and what nots. My question, is that with my iPhone, does it hook up through blue tooth if I wanted to call someone or do I hook it up through a USB cord?

r.i.p.08 jk x steel blue

post #9 of 21 Old 04-12-2011, 02:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've got all Alpine in mine... head unit, speakers, sub and amps.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #10 of 21 Old 04-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_jacklyn View Post
see that's what i'm wanting is that kenwood touch screen unit with the nav and blue tooth and stuff, and throw in a back up cam as well.
Yeah my head unit has all those options, even though nav is the only one I'll use.

RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

post #11 of 21 Old 04-12-2011, 06:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

With all these aftermarket head units/stereos/etc., how do you all keep your components secure? I've wanted to upgrade my speakers, maybe add a subwoofer, and head unit for a while but am afraid of it getting stolen. Especially in the city.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #12 of 21 Old 04-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
With all these aftermarket head units/stereos/etc., how do you all keep your components secure? I've wanted to upgrade my speakers, maybe add a subwoofer, and head unit for a while but am afraid of it getting stolen. Especially in the city.
Well thats the chance you take owning a jeep with a soft top in philly.

RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

post #13 of 21 Old 04-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Granite Guru

Alpine head unit, MB Quart front and Polk Audio soundbar. All speaker are component, stuffed with poly and expanding foam. Also stuffed the rear infinity stock sub and wired it to aftermarket amp. Sounds decent, actually rumbles your guts before the amp shuts of, hahaha just trying to blow it so I can get 2 alpine type R. I listen to all kinds of music, but once in a blue moon, away from other people that might not like it, I need to turn it up to 11 and crank the bass to loosen some teeth!! Not all the time. Attachment 33028Attachment 33029

2008 Unlimited Rubicon automatic with 35" KM2

15" black procomp 8069
Swag Offroad tailgate conversion
OR-Fab Tire carrier with Amo can for straps & tools
K&N cold air intake
Magnaflow exhaust
Alpine iDA-X305S
MB Quart 4 channel amp
MB Quart 6" Components
Pollk Audio 6" components

Last edited by cardenasrc51; 11-18-2013 at 08:24 PM.
post #14 of 21 Old 04-12-2011, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Yeah my head unit has all those options, even though nav is the only one I'll use.
as far as your touch screen goes, do you ever use it to make calls or receive calls? can you shed some light on how that works. do you have to use a usb cord to run from your phone to the head unit? or does it work through blue tooth?

r.i.p.08 jk x steel blue

post #15 of 21 Old 04-13-2011, 04:15 AM
JKowners Vendor

The headunits run the hands free via Blue Tooth. If you want to use your IPhone or IPod, it would be connected via the basic USB cable.

-Jason

:

post #16 of 21 Old 04-13-2011, 06:56 AM
Granite Guru

I just installed the Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD in our JK, its a Double Din with a 7" screen. The main purpose was to get a rear-view camera but it also streams Pandora via an iPhone. We didn't add blue-tooth as the top is usually off all summer and with our upcoming move to Texas it will hardly be on all year.

Did not get the NAVI version as Pioneer is releasing a cradle that will let you use MotionX GPS on a smartphone through the HE display. The speakers and tweeters are next on the list to replace.

We love the HE so much we are putting it into the SUV as well.

post #17 of 21 Old 04-13-2011, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

wow that looks really sharp. If y don't mind me asking, what'd that set u back! The kenwood unit I'm looking at, best buy has listed for 407 at the moment.

r.i.p.08 jk x steel blue

post #18 of 21 Old 04-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com View Post
The headunits run the hands free via Blue Tooth. If you want to use your IPhone or IPod, it would be connected via the basic USB cable.

-Jason
Jason is exactly right, the phone works through bluetooth and the ipods work through USB direct connection. BUT!!!! The bluetooth thing is a seperate little box that hooks up to the head unit, The bluetooth box has a microphone on a wire that you run to where you want it (ie. up the a-pillar or on the dash above the stereo. ) Oh and that little bluetooth box cost an extra $200 smackaroos.

RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

post #19 of 21 Old 04-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Rock God

FOCAL!!!!!!! and ALPINE

Focal KRx2
Focal KRc
Mosconi AS300.2
Mosconi AS200.4
3 JL Audio 10W6
Alipine IXA-W407

I want to swap out my subs for some focal subs. I understand why you want the same brand all the way around. In some cases it really makes a difference with for all the speakers to match brand. For the head unit and the amp not so much.

Focal and mosconi are both distributed by orka though does that count?

Alpine is awesome by the way. Just go alpine and don't look back.
post #20 of 21 Old 04-13-2011, 09:29 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Jason is exactly right, the phone works through bluetooth and the ipods work through USB direct connection. BUT!!!! The bluetooth thing is a seperate little box that hooks up to the head unit, The bluetooth box has a microphone on a wire that you run to where you want it (ie. up the a-pillar or on the dash above the stereo. ) Oh and that little bluetooth box cost an extra $200 smackaroos.
Good point! I forgot to mention that. Usually with headunits, all the "LITTLE" featurs are tide into additonal units. So, keep that in mind! But, like I said, we can help if needed!

-Jason

:

post #21 of 21 Old 04-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Wheeler

memphis 6.5's all the way around. still on the stock tweets for now. clarion head unit.

Bill - Just Jeepin' it real.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode