China suspends wrangler importatiton, because of FIRE concers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 04-12-2011, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

China suspends wrangler importatiton, because of FIRE concers

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/11/r...er-safety-con/

China's General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ) has suspended the importation of the Jeep Wrangler due to a series of car fires. Car News China reports that the Agency's investigation showed the fires resulted from issues with the automatic transmission and systems tied to the transmission.

The AQSIQ reportedly asked Chrysler to find the cause of the issue and solve it, adding, "Manufacturer and importers should take precautionary measures for the vehicles involved to ensure consumers' safety." The imported Wranglers likely come from our shores, but a quick check of NHTSA's recall database shows there are no active recalls for Wrangler fires in the U.S. See any irony here?

In an unrelated (though somehow still related...) issue, Chrysler has also recalled 464 Wranglers in China for improperly torqued bolts that lead to loud noises and even potential steering problems. The vehicles in question were built between July 7, 2010 and September 10, 2010. The Chrysler China Sales Company will check affected vehicles for free and fix bolts where necessary. That very same recall is happening here in the U.S. as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-12-2011, 05:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Where's the mopar troll telling us all our transmissions are more than adequate when we need him...

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #3 of 19 Old 04-12-2011, 05:17 AM
Granite Guru

JKs bursting into fire happens here too. Most noticeably with the V6 Automatics and 4 doors.

Seems they get hot and proceed to spill their transmission fluid out the filler tube onto the exhaust manifold.

Not the best design in the world.

ex: RHD JK 2dr CRD auto
now: RHD JK 2dr Rubicon 3.8 6spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-12-2011, 05:33 AM
Granite Guru

I find it hilarious that china is even complaining about the way something is made! Now Thats Funny!!
post #5 of 19 Old 04-12-2011, 06:04 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkbooth View Post
I find it hilarious that china is even complaining about the way something is made! Now Thats Funny!!
No shit. Those bastards send us childrens toys coated with lead paint, sheet rock that puts off fumes that corrode copper pipes, food made of dogs and cats, etc, etc.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #6 of 19 Old 04-12-2011, 06:44 AM
Rock God

Hmm will this mean that Chrysler LLC will finally look for a fix on the overheating issue instead of the band aid "Hot Oil" message solution?
Hope that enough vehicles are exported to China to get some corporate gears turning with that ban.
post #7 of 19 Old 04-12-2011, 06:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Mopars burn? No way

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...on-dc-parade/1

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 Old 04-12-2011, 06:54 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamon Creel View Post
Hmm will this mean that Chrysler LLC will finally look for a fix on the overheating issue instead of the band aid "Hot Oil" message solution?
Hope that enough vehicles are exported to China to get some corporate gears turning with that ban.
I think its strange that I have the very same transmission in a Jeep that weighs more than a stock JK and never had an issue with the trans overheating. I drove a 4 dr sport on a aggressive trail for a stock Jeep and the Hot oil message was going nuts! It must have something to do with the difference between the 2 engines.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #9 of 19 Old 04-12-2011, 07:07 AM
Rock God

Jeep won't do anything. They already issued a service bulletin for export Wranglers to have transmission coolers installed. But us Americans aren't good enough for it.

Wrangler Mountain Edition

Rock KrawlerSynergyJKSLoDGoodyear
post #10 of 19 Old 04-12-2011, 07:35 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
I think its strange that I have the very same transmission in a Jeep that weighs more than a stock JK and never had an issue with the trans overheating. I drove a 4 dr sport on a aggressive trail for a stock Jeep and the Hot oil message was going nuts! It must have something to do with the difference between the 2 engines.

Jason
Don't even need an aggressive trail, had it ding at me just going through some steep hills in the Sierras here on a gravel/dirt road and it wasn't even a hot day. I now know to downshift manually so that the tranny doesn't chase gears and to keep the TC from working the oil too much when the going gets slower so that the tranny runs cooler.
post #11 of 19 Old 04-12-2011, 10:51 AM
JKO Addict!

It's just a matter of time, folks, before one of these things burns and kills the occupant(s). Chrysler has been utterly irresponsible about this matter and deserves what's coming. If you haven't yet installed an auxiliary cooler on your JK automatic, do it NOW!
post #12 of 19 Old 04-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Granite Guru

Auto transmissions are for sissys anyway

2008 Rubicon 2 Dr 6 speed
Stone White
post #13 of 19 Old 04-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20JK10 View Post
Jeep won't do anything. They already issued a service bulletin for export Wranglers to have transmission coolers installed. But us Americans aren't good enough for it.
My 2 door JK caught on fire last weekend because the transmission overheated and shot oil onto the manifold. My dealership fixed the tranny under warranty and used the TSB to install a cooler on my JK!

post #14 of 19 Old 04-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by oO_Rogue_Oo View Post
Auto transmissions are for sissys anyway
Auto transmissions are for people who wheel

I like a manual on the street way better though

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #15 of 19 Old 04-16-2011, 07:34 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
Auto transmissions are for people who wheel

I like a manual on the street way better though
Well you're half right anyway

2008 Rubicon 2 Dr 6 speed
Stone White
post #16 of 19 Old 04-16-2011, 05:08 PM
Rock God

they also banned movies which involve time travel.

RubiRed Unlimited

ARB bumpers
Superwinch 9.0i
3.5" AEV premium lift
35" KM2s, OR-Fab tire carrier
Viair on board air
post #17 of 19 Old 04-16-2011, 05:43 PM
Granite Guru

Other than Jeep not taking care of the problem,especially here in the great USA, who cares about China. I am astonished with their human rights record that they even thought about doing this. Screw China!

1. '10 Rubicon Unlimited
  2. Rock Krawler 3.5 Mid Arm Flex/Bilstein 5100's
  3. Rough Country SS
    4.GDY Duratrac 315/70/17

post #18 of 19 Old 04-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Wheeler

Transmission Overheat

The transmission overheat problems started with the JK Wrangler series. The JK transmission fluid is cooled by coils in the condenser. The TJ Wrangler transmission fluid is cooled in the radiator. Same transmission in both vehicles. Could this be the cause of hot trans fluid ???
In my JK Rubicon, I use a Derale heat sink cooler. It holds about one quart more trans fluid. On a hot Arizona day, 30 mile run, the trans pan reads 178 degs F, with my laser thermometer.
post #19 of 19 Old 04-25-2011, 05:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

why would they stop importing them? theres nothing wrong with a little fire damage....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode