JK held up great in accident! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 04-11-2011, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

JK held up great in accident!

Well in case anyone was curious if the JK can take a hit here's the proof. Lady rear ended me going almost 60. I think it totaled her car and hopefully not mine. Anyone have any advice on dealing with accidents? Like how to make sure it gets fixed right and not just patched up? I am concerned with where she hit me. They will have to splice in a patch panel since they are not going to replace the tub unless they total it but I don't think they will. I wish they would because once wrecked they are never the same. I must say though I am impressed by how well it held up. Thanks

Last edited by 85CJ7; 06-18-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 04-11-2011, 07:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Hope everyone was okay?

My Build Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NE Trail Ride Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #3 of 31 Old 04-11-2011, 07:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Hang on, let me put this on the wall projector so I can see the more than a 1/10th of the picture at one time

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 04-11-2011, 07:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Hang on, let me put this on the wall projector so I can see the more than a 1/10th of the picture at one time
No shit...I thought my iMac had a large screen...

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Maybe we should all post the thing? He prolly won't ban us all. You go first Dave
post #5 of 31 Old 04-11-2011, 09:37 PM
JKO Addict!

If ya had PSC corners...and a bfh bumper...you'd a had less damage..lol

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #6 of 31 Old 04-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Rock God

Get cash from her insurance agency and put it into a new bumper and some crusher corners. The corners should cover everything in the pic up.

Hope everyone was ok.

Is there more damage or is this all that happened being hit by someone doing 60?

2011 JKU Rubicon
PSC Evap Skid
PSC Diff Covers
Dynomax Rock Crawler exhaust
ACE Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier
Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex W/ Bilstein 5100's
35" Nitto Trail Grappler's
post #7 of 31 Old 04-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Hope no one was hurt.

Assuming that she was at fault, it will be up to her insurance co to take care of things, but be proactive.

In terms of the injury portion- Make sure that you get checked out at the hospital if you have not yet done so. It's certainly possible that with a 60mph rear impact, that you may have sustained injury(ies) that are not immediately apparent. Whatever you are out of pocket should be reimbursed by her carrier.

Personal property- You (hopefully) have gotten her insurer & policy # from the police at the time of the accident. Don't wait for her to get the ball rolling. Get a copy of the police report, and call her ins co ASAP with that info too. Make sure that you and the insurance co are on the same page. If you don't know of a qualified body shop in your area, then search and review what choices you have. Direct frame damage (at the point of impact) may not be visibly apparent. There may also be indirect frame damage. An authorized auto-scan inspection center or a body shop that utilizes a laser measuring system will be your best bet to verify the condition of the frame.

You do have the right (after her ins co has evaluated the estimate) to dispute their findings and subsequently rely on another appraiser to re-evaluate the damage. If the damage (cost to repair) is over a certain dollar amount, than they reserve the right to total it out. This opens up an entirely new scenario that I won't get into at the moment. Just take things one step at a time.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #8 of 31 Old 04-11-2011, 11:19 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

do I like did.....I went to the dealership and spoke with them to have their senior mechanic go take a look at it at the body shop. My insurance USAA wanted to stop the quotes at $14,000 and say it wasn't totaled when the front part of the frame was cracked and front end was shifted 6 inches to the right of center. I told the dealership I dont see how it could be repairable given I had to kick the back door open from the inside in order to get the rear door open for trunk access. I told them that if it's totaled I would be buying another new JK.....they sent their mechanic down (who use to own his own body shop) and pointed out 6 known buckle points along the tub and frame which ran the damage up to $22,000 with 3 more open claims quotes. The insurance went ahead and totaled the vehicle 2 days later and I bought a new JK the next day using the "totaled" letter to appease the new loan bank!!

U.S. Army
post #9 of 31 Old 04-12-2011, 05:24 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXROCK View Post
do I like did.....I went to the dealership and spoke with them to have their senior mechanic go take a look at it at the body shop. My insurance USAA wanted to stop the quotes at $14,000 and say it wasn't totaled when the front part of the frame was cracked and front end was shifted 6 inches to the right of center. I told the dealership I dont see how it could be repairable given I had to kick the back door open from the inside in order to get the rear door open for trunk access. I told them that if it's totaled I would be buying another new JK.....they sent their mechanic down (who use to own his own body shop) and pointed out 6 known buckle points along the tub and frame which ran the damage up to $22,000 with 3 more open claims quotes. The insurance went ahead and totaled the vehicle 2 days later and I bought a new JK the next day using the "totaled" letter to appease the new loan bank!!
^^^ Right there.

You don't need to worry about what their insurance says, go get a quote at the most expensive repair shop on the planet: the dealership.

If their insurance says one word to you, just tell them from that point on they need to route all communication directly toward YOUR insurance agent. You don't need to have any direct contact with her insurance people period. The last time I was hit the lady's insurance tried to pull the same crap telling me what THEY would pay, I told them that I would get it fixed where I wanted and that they could deal with it. I got in touch with my insurance agent at State Farm and he told me to go wherever I wanted, to send him the quotes and he would handle it with the lady's insurance.

That was all I had to do, I ended up having the entire rear of the car repainted, blended with the front, clear coated to better than factory specs, had every scratch repaired ect, by a the dealers body shop. Their insurance originally said they would pay 2,000, but they paid the full 6,000 that it cost to get it done correctly.

It is her fault, don't let them bully you. Call your insurance agent and ask them to handle it from here.
post #10 of 31 Old 04-12-2011, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Wow guys thanks for the advice. I've only had 2 accidents in my life (39 y/o) and therefore could use the advise when it comes to dealing with the ins. folks. The lady was hurt and taken by EMS to the hospital but I feel she will recover nicely. I am just sore: neck and back.
post #11 of 31 Old 04-12-2011, 06:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Good luck with everything... Hope your not hurt too bad.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #12 of 31 Old 04-12-2011, 06:56 AM
Granite Guru

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85CJ7 View Post
Wow guys thanks for the advice. I've only had 2 accidents in my life (39 y/o) and therefore could use the advise when it comes to dealing with the ins. folks. The lady was hurt and taken by EMS to the hospital but I feel she will recover nicely. I am just sore: neck and back.
From that picture alone it is obvious you will need a new soft top (1200+ installed at the dealership), new tail light (250+ installed), new flares(150 intalled each, I would tell them to replace all 4 to keep it matching , or at least both rear) , new bumper (600+ installed)... and none of that even starts to include the body work and paint and you are around $2500.
post #13 of 31 Old 04-12-2011, 08:51 AM

Just remember that its her insurance company's job to get your claim settled as quickly and inexpensively as they can.

You've had two accidents in your life. Their adjuster probably closed out two more claims before he picked up your file this morning.

The other posts are spot on. Take it to your dealer, then take it to a couple of well regarded body shops in your area. Call your agent and make him deal with it.

They will pay for the repair, they just won't act like it right away.
post #14 of 31 Old 04-12-2011, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I guess one of my main concerns is where the body damage is there is not a replaceable panel it is the actual tub. Should I be worried if they cut out the damaged area in the tub and weld in a patch panel, or should they total it since that is the only way to actually replace the damaged area? Again thanks for all of the advise.
post #15 of 31 Old 04-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19T View Post
Get cash from her insurance agency and put it into a new bumper and some crusher corners. The corners should cover everything in the pic up.
THIS! I believe your axles are bent too, so call Currie!

post #16 of 31 Old 04-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONNYDL View Post
:

new bumper (600+ installed)... and none of that even starts to include the body work and paint and you are around $2500.
Holy crap. $600 for that piece of plastic shit? Labor is only 15 minutes to remove the old and 15 minutes to replace with another piece of shit plastic?
Save that $$ and buy a Poison Spyder. The next person that taps you will really regret it.
post #17 of 31 Old 04-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Wheeler

Request the Police and/or the insurance to check her CELL PHONE AND BILL. Bimbo might have been texting or on the phone, like I see 90% of them around here doing while on the highway at 60+MPH...IDIOTS

Last edited by collinp; 04-12-2011 at 05:48 PM.
post #18 of 31 Old 04-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Granite Guru

That thing is a mess!

I am willing to bet your frame has definitely been pushed, Fix and trade it immediately if they won't total it. Otherwise your going to be chasing driveline vibrations for a year, it will never be the same!

Last edited by PmedicJ; 04-12-2011 at 05:57 PM.
post #19 of 31 Old 04-12-2011, 05:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Thats one BIG hit. lol Glad everyone is ok.
post #20 of 31 Old 04-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I guess one of my main concerns is where the body damage is there is not a replaceable panel it is the actual tub. Should I be worried if they cut out the damaged area in the tub and weld in a patch panel, or should they total it since that is the only way to actually replace the damaged area? Again thanks for all of the advise.
Tell the dealer or body shop that it was her fault, it will be covered by her insurance and ask them how they would fix it if it were their car. Most places will give you the best, and most expensive option if you pose the situation that way.

If you walk in and just ask for it to be fixed you run the risk of them thinking they are helping you out, and getting your business by giving you a deal.

This is your car, you paid a lot of money for it, don't let someone's mistake turn what you paid to into junk.

You need to talk to your agent and voice your concerns to them too, they are on your side so let them know where you are at. If they know what concerns you have then they will be able to communicate with the other persons insurance company.

I've need hit by several people and heard a lot of big talk from insurance companies, but in the end they always do what in necessary because they know their drive was at fault.

You'll be fine, just communicate with your agent.
post #21 of 31 Old 04-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinp View Post
Request the Police and/or the insurance to check her CELL PHONE AND BILL. Bimbo might have been texting or on the phone, like I see 90% of them around here doing while on the highway at 60+MPH...IDIOTS
A lady rear ended me on the interstate 3 years ago while talking on the phone, it didn't change the situation. Since she was already at fault it didn't affect anything... just irritated me. Heck, the woman told the cop when we were on the side of the road!
post #22 of 31 Old 04-12-2011, 07:36 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONNYDL View Post
A lady rear ended me on the interstate 3 years ago while talking on the phone, it didn't change the situation. Since she was already at fault it didn't affect anything... just irritated me. Heck, the woman told the cop when we were on the side of the road!
Up here that will get you a charge of careless driving, possibly Dangerous Driving (Criminal) if injuries are serious. Usually just a simple rear ender will get ya done for Careless Driving. More and more jurisdictions here are banning texting and cell phone use. About BLOODY time! I used to ride a motorcycle, that is when you really notice how many idiots are on the phone, texting or believe it or not, reading a newspaper or a book. F'n retards.

Traffic charges aside, you just know their Insurance company will not be impressed one bit...

Last edited by collinp; 04-12-2011 at 07:39 PM.
post #23 of 31 Old 04-13-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks again all. The adjuster (my agent) comes in the morning to check out the damage. Any last bit of advice?
post #24 of 31 Old 04-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Rock God

What did your agent have to say?

2011 JKU Rubicon
PSC Evap Skid
PSC Diff Covers
Dynomax Rock Crawler exhaust
ACE Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier
Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex W/ Bilstein 5100's
35" Nitto Trail Grappler's
post #25 of 31 Old 04-14-2011, 06:37 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Thanks again all. The adjuster (my agent) comes in the morning to check out the damage. Any last bit of advice?
Assuming they haven't come yet; make sure you stress all of your concerns. Explain to them what the "tub" is and what it means, explain that you want to keep this vehicle long term and aren't thrilled about possible structural problems, voice every concern and then make sure you ask what they would want if this were their car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode