Thickness of an AEV hood? (hail damage) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 04-11-2011, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thickness of an AEV hood? (hail damage)

My JK got beat up pretty well last night from hail. The hood and the whole drivers side is like a titleist. I may try to swing to upgrade to an AEV hood if we run it through insurance and I'm looking to see if anyone has had theirs to attest for hail? It mentions it's all steel, no gauge thickness.

Any other options or input is appreciated!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-11-2011, 08:38 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
My JK got beat up pretty well last night from hail. The hood and the whole drivers side is like a titleist. I may try to swing to upgrade to an AEV hood if we run it through insurance and I'm looking to see if anyone has had theirs to attest for hail? It mentions it's all steel, no gauge thickness.

Any other options or input is appreciated!
Yes my TJ/LJ went through a recent hail storm that damaged 200 cars on out lot. My Aev hood undamaged! So were the stock TJ's though!

Stock TJ 18ga Aev Hood 14ga Stock JK Hood:25ga?? LOL

We can get you that Aev hood btw!

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #3 of 27 Old 04-11-2011, 08:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

No help on the hail part but the weight diff between the 2 is crazy the AEV is 3 times heavier....

www.jeepasylum.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 04-11-2011, 08:42 AM
JKO Addict!

That sucks a lot. It would be pretty funny if you had a small Titleist sticker on your windshield. Here's your answer from AEV forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV Matt
Hood lift seems to work fine with the hood. The UAJK has one and I know Dave sent the weight of the AEV hood to Hoodlift. The AEV Hood is about 30% heavier than stock. Its been gauged up to 1mm thick inner and outer, vs the OE 0.7mm.

Matt - TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #5 of 27 Old 04-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
No help on the hail part but the weight diff between the 2 is crazy the AEV is 3 times heavier....
Wow I would look for something lighter... just my .02
post #6 of 27 Old 04-11-2011, 08:52 AM
Banned

Jester has the AEV hood. Fucker is heavy. Solid.

And it looks great if you like Hummer 2s!

post #7 of 27 Old 04-11-2011, 08:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Wow I would look for something lighter... just my .02
you wouldnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
Jester has the AEV hood. Fucker is heavy. Solid.

And it looks great if you like Hummer 2s!

i love hummers

www.jeepasylum.com
post #8 of 27 Old 04-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
you wouldnt
Yep, I would LOL Probably some kind of composite. Living in Co we get a lot of hail and I still wouldn't add the extra weight of an AEV hood when you can buy something lighter that will hold up.
post #9 of 27 Old 04-11-2011, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks, the thickness sounds like what I'd be after. At least I wouldn't "really" have to worry about that again. It's the most damage prone spot on there!

As far as the weight, it makes no difference to me. I think it's funny some toss 100lb winches, 125lb wheel/tires on their rig. Yet 30% more of a, what? 30lb/40lb stock hood? Big deal! Do you guys never fill up either because it's dead weight?

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 04-11-2011 at 09:54 AM.
post #10 of 27 Old 04-11-2011, 09:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

It will solve you hodd lift as well lol

just dont use the nots that come with it to reattach the grills after paint, there should be a small pack of clips to use.

www.jeepasylum.com
post #11 of 27 Old 04-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Wheeler

thinking of getting an AEV hood too. My hood took a pounding Sat night. Baseball sized hail. Screwed it all up
post #12 of 27 Old 04-11-2011, 02:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

What about the Lexan hoods.. light and strong.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #13 of 27 Old 04-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Rock God

IIRC AEV hoods are made by the same Co. that stamps the factory JK hoods.
post #14 of 27 Old 04-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Granite Guru

The AEV hood is heavy enough and sturdy enough that when it's flipped up onto your windshield it will dent the windshield frame in 2 places and the hood itself will be unaffected.

This is now the 2nd time a dealership has done this. I figured I'd take advantage of a 10 dollar oil change and get on the list for a new gas tank. Now I've got to go back for them to fix it.

The TruckMasters hood would be a good option, can't dent and it's got to be lighter than the AEV, and while I love my AEV hood, having water pour into the engine bay through the hood vent during a storm doesn't thrill me.
post #15 of 27 Old 04-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to LS6TT

jeez Mike, my house didnt get any hail in Saginaw, and here in coppell we didnt either.

Ive seen one AEV hood up close and its beefy but with hail, i firmly believe it can dent anything in the right spot.

-Alex
2010 2dr Sport | 2.5" BB Lift with 4dr Springs | More to come
post #16 of 27 Old 04-11-2011, 09:39 PM
JKO Addict!

you don't need a hood. God!

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #17 of 27 Old 04-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Yeah very thick and solid hood. You can check mine out if you want, let me know and I'll run it over.

My stock hood got taken out the same way a couple of years ago. With the insurance it only cost me a couple of hundred to go with the AEV

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #18 of 27 Old 04-12-2011, 06:08 AM
Rock God

Whoever has one post up some pics

2010 4-DOOR MOUNTAIN
post #19 of 27 Old 04-12-2011, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
Yeah very thick and solid hood. You can check mine out if you want, let me know and I'll run it over.

My stock hood got taken out the same way a couple of years ago. With the insurance it only cost me a couple of hundred to go with the AEV
Not sure mine is bad enough to get replaced. I don't do body work!

post #20 of 27 Old 04-12-2011, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Doesn't look like I'll really be able to work in the AEV hood. Only got $325 toward PDRing my stock hood. I was hoping for a replacement + paint. Getting another estimate or two though. AEV will still cost me another ~$575 or so once painted, can't justify it right now.

post #21 of 27 Old 04-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Granite Guru

I was back and forth with the AEV hood until I saw one...They are beefy and pretty damn heavy.

LoD Stinger◊Warn PowerPlant◊RockHard Cage◊AEV Beadlocks◊37" MTR's◊5.38's◊LoD Tire Carrier◊PSC Crusher Flares◊2.5" Teraflex◊1" PA BL
post #22 of 27 Old 04-12-2011, 06:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
LS6TT Hail

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6TT View Post
jeez Mike, my house didnt get any hail in Saginaw, and here in coppell we didnt either.

Ive seen one AEV hood up close and its beefy but with hail, i firmly believe it can dent anything in the right spot.

Texas Hail can for sure,,,,,

We got hit but it was pea sized !!!

The Project is moving forward.
post #23 of 27 Old 04-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

My friends thought for sure that I took a ball peen hammer to mine but it really was hail

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIZZLY47 View Post
Whoever has one post up some pics

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 04-12-2011 at 11:56 PM.
post #24 of 27 Old 04-13-2011, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Looks good Kevin, I'd say I have a couple more dings. Hopefully this other estimate isn't lowballed like the insurance companie's

post #25 of 27 Old 04-13-2011, 05:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6TT View Post

I'm assuming you work in Coppell?

I live about 3 minutes from Mike, just on the other side of 380 and we got hammered. I'll try to get some pics of my hood here in a bit once the sun comes up a little more. I'm sort of glad I didn't have my hard top on at the time. Suffered a hole in one window of my TrekTop, though. So I'm definitley pushing for insurance to replace that with a new one. But looking at my JK just makes me sick....I mean it's only 4 months old! And I just put a factory stubby on it Sunday morning, too. I don't think there's a single panel on the passenger side that didn't get pounded by hail. And my wife's 2010 Xterra got it worse since it was parked beside the JK.

But yeah, I was considering upgrading to an AEV hood yesterday myself. Any other options out there? I don't really dig all the vents in that thing.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode