Engine Skids - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-08-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Engine Skids

I'm looking around for an engine skid and looking for opinions. I'm thinking I'll the T-Case skid in the future so that needs to be an option.
I like the pricing on Kilby. Anyone have any issues with them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Wheeler

I have the Kilby set-up. Purchased it a few years ago. No issues and its tough!!

One Major Pork Eating Crusader!!
2007 Black 2 dr. Rubi, 3.5 Rock Krawler Mid-arm X plus, Shrockworks Mid front and sliders,Warn RC winch, Walker Evans beadlocks, 37in. BFG KX, Rockhard rear carrier, 5.13 gears. Red Neck Ram, This thing is a tank!!!
post #3 of 13 Old 04-11-2011, 07:57 AM
Rock God

i have the skid row eng/trans skid. very beefy and works great... oil changes kinda tricky though.

08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-11-2011, 08:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkx0778 View Post
i have the skid row eng/trans skid. very beefy and works great... oil changes kinda tricky though.
What he said...

I had to wedge a hunk of cardboard in the opening to avert another BP type oil spill. And it needs to be removed to access the manual trans drain plug.

On the plus side, that thing is one beefy hunk of steel and I am very confident that it will simply "brush off" any impacts with trail obstacles

Sent by carrier pigeon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-12-2011, 04:36 AM
Granite Guru

Call RCO

Marcus at RCO just hooked me up with a Rock Hard engine skid. Install was super easy. I like the extra protection it offered for the cats and tranny. Price was right too. Cheap insurance against poor line choice.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-12-2011, 05:48 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Running a Rock Hard 4x4 here too. It's held the weight of my 4-door JK more than once (due to my superhuman ability to pick the shittiest lines when crawling over rocks) without denting or bending.

I did have to shim it down where it mounts to the transmission cross member so that it doesn't vibrate where the exhaust crosses over. My JK's hung low like that.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-12-2011, 07:38 AM
JKO Addict!

I'm a huge fan of the river raider setup

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #8 of 13 Old 04-12-2011, 08:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm running the RH skids. They were the first to perfect a design that actually bolts right up with no mods so thats what I bought. Oil changes are also very easy with the RH skids. Now, others have perfected their designs so there is lots to choose from.

My RH skids are bashed to shit; the engine skid needs to be replaced at this point (Ive already took the sledgehammer to it several times) and the transfer case skid is not far behind. But, in looking at other rigs with my style of wheeling, it looks like everyone's skids get trashed with lots of abuse. My buddies RR skids look worse than mine, and there is a JK in my club and his Poly skids are pretty mangled. Abendx's Treks skids buckled pretty easily, and he ended up with trans damage.

So, anything you buy will dent with lots of abuse - one brand doesn't appear to be that much greater than another. Thats why its great to buy modular skid systems, where you can replace damaged sections when needed. And no matter what skids you buy, also order the RH bolt protectors - you will qickly realize the value of those.

If you are going for looks, the RR skids look the best without a doubt.

Last edited by desert dog; 04-12-2011 at 08:48 AM.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
Running a Rock Hard 4x4 here too. It's held the weight of my 4-door JK more than once (due to my superhuman ability to pick the shittiest lines when crawling over rocks) without denting or bending.

I did have to shim it down where it mounts to the transmission cross member so that it doesn't vibrate where the exhaust crosses over. My JK's hung low like that.
My RROR skids make contact too.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Kilby is now out of business - too bad, Brad made great stuff. Check out the River Raider skids. They come in steel and alum.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #11 of 13 Old 04-13-2011, 03:35 AM
Rock God

Garage

Does the Rockhard skid mount to the engine block the same way the RR skid does? I can't find any photos of how it mounts?
post #12 of 13 Old 04-13-2011, 04:22 AM
Granite Guru

The Rock Hard does not mount to engine block. It mounts to the motor mounts near the frame. That was one reason i picked it actually. My new skid also came with a 1/4" spacer plate for tranny cross member to clear the cats without contact like other skids suffer from.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-13-2011, 04:23 AM
Granite Guru

The Rock Hard does not mount to engine block. It mounts to the motor mounts near the frame. That was one reason I picked it actually. My new skid also came with a 1/4" spacer plate for tranny cross member to clear the cats without contact like other skids suffer from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode