Fuel Gauge/Low fuel warning... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 12-19-2008, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Fuel Gauge/Low fuel warning...

the way the fuel alarm reports drives me nuts. i hate that it stops showing the miles to empty at about 30.

i always try to pay attention to the DTE and once the mileage goes away and the "low fuel" shows up, i drive about 30 miles. the problem is that when i do this, then fill up, i rarely ever put more than 16 gallons in the tank, meaning there is about 2 gallons still left in the tank. it drives me nuts to not really know how much gas is left in the tank and for there to be 2 gallons left in the tank when the gauge shows "E."

my old WJ had a DTE reading that kept showing numbers all the way down to zero. i wish the JK would show numbers, instead of switching to the "low fuel" reading, because i know there is probably two or more gallons left in the tank at that point, (or about 50 miles) which can be about two days worth of driving for me on an average day.

i've been trying to push how far i can drive once the "low fuel" shows up, but it's a bit nerve racking, having to worry about whether or not i'm going to run out of gas.

guess i need to get a jerry can so i can drive until it dies.

how far does everyone else drive after the "low fuel" shows up, and how much to you put in the tank when you fill up from "empty?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Granite Guru

I just lol'd

I have the same problem but chalked it up to having a dented gas tank. Guess it isn't as bad as I thought

-One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Wheeler

I didnt know it had a low fuel light.... Mine has never been that low. I fill up once it gets to 1/4 of a tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 12-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to vegasjeep

i have driven mine to a needle width below the lowest fuel line.

08 Rubicon Unlimited-Just about stock!
I'll keep my guns, my freedom, and my money... You keep "The Change"!
Ask me about SH!TTY companies like Full Traction, Pure Jeep, and others!
post #5 of 16 Old 12-19-2008, 09:47 AM
Openly Hostile

I'd like to run mine dry to see how much it takes to fill it back up. My tank is dented tho, you would think the stupid plastic would pop back out. If I run mine till it is on E I can put in just over 15 gallons.

Jason
post #6 of 16 Old 12-20-2008, 07:00 AM

I've driven mine till just about the empty line. But Once I filled the gas tank I still had about 2 gallons left. I just hate the damn chime that goes off when the tank gets low. I know how much fuel I have. Jeep must have made that for ditsy females who don't pay attention to their vehicles.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-20-2008, 07:12 AM
Rock God

many tanks have the pump immersed in the fuel to keep it cooled. It's set up to keep some fuel in the tank when reading "empty." I, honestly, don't know enough about the JK's fuel delivery, but suspect it's the same.

It is not a good idea, however, to run your tank till it's empty. Heavy contaminants reside at the bottom and will prematurely clog your fuel filter if you run it to empty all the time.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-20-2008, 07:20 AM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon View Post
many tanks have the pump immersed in the fuel to keep it cooled. It's set up to keep some fuel in the tank when reading "empty." I, honestly, don't know enough about the JK's fuel delivery, but suspect it's the same.

It is not a good idea, however, to run your tank till it's empty. Heavy contaminants reside at the bottom and will prematurely clog your fuel filter if you run it to empty all the time.
Exactly and I believe the JK fuel pump is in the tank. When I owned my H2 I read about people running them dry (LOL, not hard in a H2) and burning out the pump.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-20-2008, 07:22 AM
Alec W

Donít worry, gas will go back to $4 one day and you wonít be so worried about getting that extra gallon in there anyway
post #10 of 16 Old 12-20-2008, 08:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Only driven it once when the low fuel light came on... I usually fill at 1/4 of a tank. I'm not brave enough to go any further... ran out of fuel once in another vehicle... 20 miles out of town... not fun.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 16 Old 12-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Rock God

I always run every vehicle down to the line at least once, to know where it stands.

In the JK, I ran it down till it got to "low fuel" and parked it at the house. Next time I got in it, it had jumped up to 37 miles to empty. The needle was on the line when I parked it and jumped a needle width above the line when I got back in.

drove it to "low fuel" and then filled it back up.

so, I won't push it unless I had to because it seems to be guessing at the amount
post #12 of 16 Old 12-20-2008, 09:04 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to vegasjeep

ive put 20 gallons in my jeep before.

08 Rubicon Unlimited-Just about stock!
I'll keep my guns, my freedom, and my money... You keep "The Change"!
Ask me about SH!TTY companies like Full Traction, Pure Jeep, and others!
post #13 of 16 Old 12-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

All these miles and gallons...LOL

The four door has a larger tank then the two door. I never run out, when the fuel light comes on I put gas in it. Today I drove 30 miles on Lo Fuel... Usually at the light my 2dr will hold 16 out of 18 gallons.

But I still want to get a reserve gas tank 5-10 gallons ... work in progress...

edit...I worry about very different things...haha

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 16 Old 12-28-2008, 05:42 AM
Rock God

This is funny, cause there is an exact replica thread on the other board. I'll briefly restate my opinion:
Turning a gauge into an idiot light at a time when you need it most is, well, idiotic! Plain and simple.

Say what you want about not being a good idea to run that low, but the bottom line is information; KNOWING exactly what you have should be the name of the game.

Honestly, the fact that Jeep calculates the DTE so that when it reads 0 you actually still have 2 gallons (2.5 on my JK, 2.0 on my KJ) left doesn't bother me quite as much as this stupid business of DTE changing into a LOW FUEL idiot light. I mean. come on - they already put a light and a chime to come on at 30 gallons left. What possible sense does it make to also eliminate the DTE?

So I reset one of my Trip Odomoters as soon as the LOW FUEL light comes on. I know that I have about 60 miles left to truly be empty at that point depending on driving. The trouble is that the DTE does recalculate based on current conditions and my trip odomoter cannot.

I never plan on going that far, but Jeeping has much to do with dealing with the unexpected!

Why have guages if they're are going to be disabled when needed? Does our temp guage say "hot" at anything above NORMAL? Why have a tach? It should just glow red when we hit the rev limiter. They already did away with oil psi and volts guages on most cars.

IDIOTS!

Adam
First Jeep:

(heavily modded and wheeled!)
Last Jeep:

Sunburst Orange

Ordered 11/14/08
Shipped 11/25/08
Delivered 11/28/08

Mods:
Wrangler MT/R 35x12.5x15 on Soft 8's for the trails.
Duratrac 35" on Dick Cepek's for DD'ers.
5.13s, TF 2.5" Coil Lift, LCAs, & track bar, Mopar bumpers, WARN 9.5ti, diff covers, lots o' skids, EVAP relocated, breathers extended, ALLGIG, backup cam, Soundcoat Absorbtion Panels, and more...
post #15 of 16 Old 12-28-2008, 09:45 AM
Alec W

Good points Adam. Maybe we need a speedo that says, slow, fast and too fast
post #16 of 16 Old 12-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Rock God

Just don't go wheeling when you have anything less than half a tank. I had a quarter tank and was playing on some hills. The fuel light came on and the JK stalled at a very inopportune time. I was on a deeply rutted hill with no 4wd or power steering.. I puckered up real quick!! Luckily I made it down in neutral fighting the wheel to a level spot where it promptly started and said 1/4 tank again.. I think the whole system is jacked...

Lifted by
, JKS DC's, Skid Row Protected,
ProComp 7105, Kevlar MTR's,
Switchblade rear, Red Rock Fab stinger etc...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode