Long arm upgrade - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 04-08-2011, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Long arm upgrade

So I have an 07 unlimted X with a rough country 4" bottom of the barrel lift.I am thinking of upgrading to the poly performance long arm set up.Can I install just the front set up to start with? or do I have to install the front and rear together?I don't really see a reason why not.

2007 unlimited X
rough country 4" lift
18" KMC Rockstars
superchips flashpaq
1 ton Offset TRE's with 1.5" X .25" wall DOM tubing Tie Rod
1.5" X .25" wall DOM tubing Draglink with 7/8" hiem's
Adam's Front Driveshaft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-08-2011, 09:41 AM
JKowners Vendor

You should be fine but let me check on one thing to be sure...

Be right back!

-Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #3 of 25 Old 04-08-2011, 10:15 AM
JKowners Vendor

Okay just checked to make sure. You can do front before rear up you would have to buy everything separate. Or, you can save some and buy it all at once in a kit.

Shoot me a PM if you would like and we can go over some details!

-Jason

:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 04-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by woomdawg View Post
So I have an 07 unlimted X with a rough country 4" bottom of the barrel lift.I am thinking of upgrading to the poly performance long arm set up.Can I install just the front set up to start with? or do I have to install the front and rear together?I don't really see a reason why not.
Not the way I would do it.. but I am sure you could do it. It might ride as if the rear of the rig has a grudge against the front though..lol

Going from what you have now to a Poly LA will be like you bought a new rig.

Good luck with it!

įlllllį

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #5 of 25 Old 04-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Rock God

We are running there 5.5 in long arm on the wifes 2dr rubi. IMO just do the whole lift once you get the stock controll arm mounts off the install is a piece of cake. Instructions are good and there on there website. Took me 4 / 8 hr days with some jack stands and a floor jack. Pm me and I will shoot you my # if you want any info from someone whos been there. Unsub

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
post #6 of 25 Old 04-08-2011, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Unfortunately I don't have the money available to do it all at once I just purchased it 6 months ago and have already done alot of work to it and still have to do ball joints asap,and I just got engaged so piece but piece is my only option. As for the rear conflicting with the front with only the front LA upgrade if toe,caster and track are in harmony I don't see a problem.Bu i have been wrong before and I don't think it can ride any worse than it does now.

2007 unlimited X
rough country 4" lift
18" KMC Rockstars
superchips flashpaq
Adam's Front Driveshaft

post #7 of 25 Old 04-08-2011, 03:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Forget the wedding, buy the whole lift. If she doesn't understand, you're forewarned!

Seriously, save the money and do the whole thing all at once. You'll be money, time & aggravation ahead.
post #8 of 25 Old 04-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Rock God

I've got to agree on this one. I would just save up and do the whole thing at once, even if it means waiting a while longer. I think you will experience some really funky handling characteristics with one end done and the other not. Plus, even if you stay with a 4 inch lift, the actual lift amount with different manufacturers springs can be significant. You will most likely end up with either a lot of rake or nose high depending upon which end you do first.

Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, + upper control arms:RRD remote reservoir shocks:Teraflex Speed Bumps:Poison Spyder bumpers, fenders, and rockers: Gen Right tire carrier: Rigid duallies, 20 and 50 bars, fogs: Trucklites: Off Road Hero's Top: Genesis Off Road dual battery kit:
post #9 of 25 Old 04-08-2011, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

i am not switching out springs right now just the front long arm components ie the frame brackets and long arms themselves. Can anyone from poly chime in here?

2007 unlimited X
rough country 4" lift
18" KMC Rockstars
superchips flashpaq
Adam's Front Driveshaft

post #10 of 25 Old 04-08-2011, 07:01 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
i am not switching out springs right now just the front long arm components ie the frame brackets and long arms themselves. Can anyone from poly chime in here?
PM sent with some needed info...

-Jason

:

post #11 of 25 Old 04-09-2011, 02:28 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
You can do the front and rear independently.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #12 of 25 Old 04-09-2011, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG View Post
Thank you PIG.

2007 unlimited X
rough country 4" lift
18" KMC Rockstars
superchips flashpaq
Adam's Front Driveshaft

post #13 of 25 Old 04-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG View Post
i've been thinking of doing this too, can't save up for everything all at once. how would the front L/A and rear S/A setup handle differently then the S/A front and rear on the highway?

Mike M

2013 2dr rubi
MC 2.5", Fox RR TF tuned shocks, TF carrier, Viair, TL's and so on...... still on stock tires
post #14 of 25 Old 04-09-2011, 06:20 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
i've been thinking of doing this too, can't save up for everything all at once. how would the front L/A and rear S/A setup handle differently then the S/A front and rear on the highway?
Depends on lift height really. Anything over 4.5" really should be that different; LA vrs SA front/rear.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #15 of 25 Old 04-09-2011, 11:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Maybe you can buy them piece by piece and have the mounts welded on at the same time and then buy the arms slowly over time. I think a LA upgrade would be nice to take from the wedding gift fund...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #16 of 25 Old 04-10-2011, 04:16 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I bought my poly in pieces because of a lack of abilty to save money. Yes I know it cost more but I didn't feel so bad buying the parts a little at a time.

I did wait to install it all at once though.

07 Rubi rescue Green
"The previous explanation is based on my historically bad memory of a conglomeration of past experiences and conversations. The opinions above probably have some kernel of truth to them but the details are most likely flawed on some level. Please acquire further help from experts before listening to anything I say."
post #17 of 25 Old 04-10-2011, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanitize View Post
I bought my poly in pieces because of a lack of abilty to save money. Yes I know it cost more but I didn't feel so bad buying the parts a little at a time.

I did wait to install it all at once though.
Well I feel so much better knowing that I am not the only one that owns a JK that does not have a bottomless wallet.

2007 unlimited X
rough country 4" lift
18" KMC Rockstars
superchips flashpaq
Adam's Front Driveshaft

post #18 of 25 Old 04-10-2011, 06:31 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Well I feel so much better knowing that I am not the only one that owns a JK that does not have a bottomless wallet.
Most of us here don't have bottomless wallets. We put a little money aside here and there and save up for the components that we want. Don't have much green? Why waste it buying a kit piece by piece? Save some cash and buy the whole kit at once, it'll save you the little money you do have.
post #19 of 25 Old 04-10-2011, 06:39 AM
JKO Addict!

I sure as hell don't have a large wallet. It may look like that..But if you look at my build thread and look at the dates. You can see in reality for most, it takes time. Why not just do the lift first...then do the long arm later..? whats the rush to even start 1/2 of it. I've just completed my lift and I don't have long arm's yet. Why do you need long arm's?

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #20 of 25 Old 04-10-2011, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

well I bought the jeep with a rough country 4" lift (POS) and it rides horrible,IMO the front axle is responsible for a large chunk of ride quality. If that axle is not placed under the jeep in the right place the ride quality is horrible.The way the axle sits now with the caster where it is and it's location further back it is transmitting allot of the road force through the control arms as opposed to the shocks.I could be wrong but this is how I view my situation.Had I lifted this jeep myself I would have never chosen such a horrible lift ( ROUGH COUNTRY ).My left rear shock is leaking already and it is maybe 7 months old and has never been off-road,I contacted rough country and they told me to shit in my hat cause I was not the original owner.

2007 unlimited X
rough country 4" lift
18" KMC Rockstars
superchips flashpaq
Adam's Front Driveshaft

post #21 of 25 Old 04-10-2011, 07:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
well I bought the jeep with a rough country 4" lift (POS) and it rides horrible,IMO the front axle is responsible for a large chunk of ride quality. If that axle is not placed under the jeep in the right place the ride quality is horrible.The way the axle sits now with the caster where it is and it's location further back it is transmitting allot of the road force through the control arms as opposed to the shocks.I could be wrong but this is how I view my situation.Had I lifted this jeep myself I would have never chosen such a horrible lift ( ROUGH COUNTRY ).My left rear shock is leaking already and it is maybe 7 months old and has never been off-road,I contacted rough country and they told me to shit in my hat cause I was not the original owner.
I've heard rumors that RC has spring rates that are less than desirable. When you go over 3" in lift. You simply need to address the caster along with an adj. track bar. Ball joint's do play a major roll as well. Simply installing stock ball joint's and using a needle end on your grease gun in the boots will extend your ball joint's life. The lower ball joint's seem to take most of the abuse. So I'd recommend getting the Poly lower greasable ball joints.

How big of tires are you wanting to go too?

Are you staying with the stock flares or creating flat fenders or buying flat fender's?

What will the jeep be used for?

Start with answering those three questions before you decide on where your lift is going. Save you a lot of headache down the road. The companies on this forum are incredibly well designed. They will all help you out in dialing in your suspension to your tastes and won't lead you in the wrong direction.

Past jeep:
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #22 of 25 Old 04-10-2011, 07:29 AM

Does you RC lift have adjustable, or even extended length control arms, or are you still rocking the stockers? If you're still on the stockers, allow me to make a suggestion. I would ditch that entire kit. From what you've posted about ride quality being your concern, I don't think even an upgrade to a longarm kit will cure your issues. The RC stuff is pretty stiff, and if your shocks are leaking its time for an upgrade there as well. Rip that kit out and replace it with something like the rockkrawler 2.5 max travel, or their 3.5 entry level kit. This way you will get the control arms you need to properly locate that front axle, as well as upgrading your shocks and springs, which will give you much better ride quality. Then in the future you can upgrade to long arms if necessary. I just don't see the point in spending a bunch of money on a fancy long arm kit while you still have crappy springs and shocks.
post #23 of 25 Old 04-10-2011, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourplyn View Post
I've heard rumors that RC has spring rates that are less than desirable. When you go over 3" in lift. You simply need to address the caster along with an adj. track bar. Ball joint's do play a major roll as well. Simply installing stock ball joint's and using a needle end on your grease gun in the boots will extend your ball joint's life. The lower ball joint's seem to take most of the abuse. So I'd recommend getting the Poly lower greasable ball joints.

How big of tires are you wanting to go too?

Are you staying with the stock flares or creating flat fenders or buying flat fender's?

What will the jeep be used for?

Start with answering those three questions before you decide on where your lift is going. Save you a lot of headache down the road. The companies on this forum are incredibly well designed. They will all help you out in dialing in your suspension to your tastes and won't lead you in the wrong direction.
I have 35" tires on 18" rims. My ball joints are fawked those are first on the list to fix and i am ordering them from poly next week finally.As far as the flares go I will trim what is necessary but as of now it only rubs a very small amount on full lock and will probably trim them when I do the ball joints. My plan is to use psc fenders.Right now the jeep is used for commuting untill i get it properly outfitted and wrapped in armor.When I got my TJ I wheeled the hell out it and destroyed it in no time, I don't plan wheeling it till I protect my investment.I am sure I will get flamed for my point of view. whatever

2007 unlimited X
rough country 4" lift
18" KMC Rockstars
superchips flashpaq
Adam's Front Driveshaft

Last edited by woomdawg; 04-10-2011 at 07:48 AM.
post #24 of 25 Old 04-10-2011, 08:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I have 35" tires on 18" rims. My ball joints are fawked those are first on the list to fix and i am ordering them from poly next week finally.As far as the flares go I will trim what is necessary but as of now it only rubs a very small amount on full lock and will probably trim them when I do the ball joints. My plan is to use psc fenders.Right now the jeep is used for commuting untill i get it properly outfitted and wrapped in armor.When I got my TJ I wheeled the hell out it and destroyed it in no time, I don't plan wheeling it till I protect my investment.I am sure I will get flamed for my point of view. whatever
I'm doing the same thing. Build it first, then go take it off-road. Good job. Your headed in the right direction, seeing what works for you.

I'm just wondering, whats the offset on your wheels. With that lift and 35's. I'm guessing you have a 4.5"-4.75" wheel offset. Is this right?

Past jeep:
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #25 of 25 Old 04-10-2011, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks man it is very hard to resist the urge to go tear it up some where,we will see though in july I go spend a few days at a friends camp in northern maine 43 acres in the middle of nowhere o the Canadian border and more trails in the surrounding area I love it up there.

2007 unlimited X
rough country 4" lift
18" KMC Rockstars
superchips flashpaq
Adam's Front Driveshaft

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode