Wheel came off on the highway!! WTF! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 04-06-2011, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to WVUJeeper
Wheel came off on the highway!! WTF!

So yesterday the wife was on her way home from work....she drives my JK as her DD. I get a call at about 5:15 with her saying that she just had a blowout and that she's pulled over; that I need to come get her and that she already called a tow truck. Ok, glad she's alright.

I get there and see that in fact the entire wheel and tire came off. One of the wheel studs snapped off. and it looks like the other 4 lug nuts had worked themselves off..... It has to have happened in the past week and a half or so as I just changed my rear brake pads and rotated my tires. Everything was torqued to spec (55 lb on the calipers and 95 lbs on the lugs), driven around the block to hit a few bumps, then re-torqued. I did go wheelin' last weekend and never gave everything a once over since I had to get back to work the next day, so I don't know if that's when it happened. She says there were no weird vibrations or shaking until right before it happened.

The rotor and caliper are for sure done for, the shock mount dragged down the road for about 250' and is pretty chewed up, I'm hoping that the diff and axle shaft/tube are all good....

I had it towed to the closest dealership hoping that they'll cover it under warranty. I have also talked to my insurance so if Jeep doesn't cover it hopefully they do.....

I didn't snap any pics, but am meeting with the insurance adjuster at the dealership today sometime... so may get some then.

This could have been so much worse....I'm just glad it happened in traffic at about 30 mph instead of at speed in a turn in the mountains.

Oh, and a guy found the wheel and tire and brought it back to us....really nice dude.

- Fletcher: Oil Field Trash Extraordinaire

'08 Rescue Green Unlimited X - Hard Top, 3.73 gears, Limited Slip, Infinity 7 speaker system, KC Slimlite Long Range, Cobra CB, Rough Country 2.5" BB, 35" BFG KM2's on ProComp 7089's. Fenderless and proud!

Need money for mods? Like sports? Click here to combine the two:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-06-2011, 11:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

What mods have you done (suspension, spacers, etc)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
post #3 of 27 Old 04-06-2011, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
What mods have you done (suspension, spacers, etc)?
RC 2.5" BB and 315/75/16 KM2's on 16x10 ProComp 7089's.

'08 Rescue Green Unlimited X - Hard Top, 3.73 gears, Limited Slip, Infinity 7 speaker system, KC Slimlite Long Range, Cobra CB, Rough Country 2.5" BB, 35" BFG KM2's on ProComp 7089's. Fenderless and proud!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 04-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Granite Guru

why are you posting this on every jeep forum on the net?
post #5 of 27 Old 04-06-2011, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Awareness brother, awareness. Go check your nutz.

And because I'm an attention whore.

post #6 of 27 Old 04-06-2011, 01:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

This happened to me, but it was a broken wheel spacer. Never heard of properly torqued lugs coming loose in a week from driving around town. Maybe someone was in the process of stealing your wheel, and had to stop halfway through / left the lugs loose?
post #7 of 27 Old 04-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Wheeler

Happened to me on stock rims and rubber, no lift and no spacers. Two of my lugs snapped off, luckily I noticed the wobble and was able to get home before the whole wheel fell off. It was almost 4 months since the tires had been rotated. Not sure if someone was screwing with my wheels or what. Warranty won't cover you as there's no proof you didn't overtorque them or did something else to cause it.
post #8 of 27 Old 04-06-2011, 02:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

Happened to me and a friend on a cross country trip when we were 18... An old chevy blazer. We were stuck in the middle of Kansas with about $500 worth of damage and a dire need for new boxers...

Glad the wife is ok, bro, and kudos to the good Samaritan for bringing your tire back!

Sent by carrier pigeon

post #9 of 27 Old 04-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkbooth View Post
why are you posting this on every jeep forum on the net?
why are you reading this on every jeep forum?

Dirty Minion #6
post #10 of 27 Old 04-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Granite Guru

Glad your wife is OK.
That is really what matters here.

The guy that found the wheel and brought it back get 5 Karma points.

2009 JK Rubicon:
post #11 of 27 Old 04-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
This happened to me, but it was a broken wheel spacer. Never heard of properly torqued lugs coming loose in a week from driving around town. Maybe someone was in the process of stealing your wheel, and had to stop halfway through / left the lugs loose?

X2, ^^^this. I had someone steal one of my lugs and then put back some generic lug nut. What I didn't get was why didn't they just walk off with the lug nut instead of putting one back on? F'ing people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchlayer View Post
I sometimes miss 70's bush
post #12 of 27 Old 04-06-2011, 02:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Glad your wife is okay. Weird, I rotate the tires every 3-4k miles and have yet to experience a loose lug nut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obstruction of Justice View Post
X2, ^^^this. I had someone steal one of my lugs and then put back some generic lug nut. What I didn't get was why didn't they just walk off with the lug nut instead of putting one back on? F'ing people...
maybe the cap fell of your lug nut. <shrug>

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #13 of 27 Old 04-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUJeeper View Post
RC 2.5" BB and 315/75/16 KM2's on 16x10 ProComp 7089's.
Your Jeep has been modified. Warranty = VOID. Magnusson Moss doesn't apply to Daimler Chrysler. They're too big to fail, remember?

Definitely keep everyone posted on how this plays out. Personally I'm GLAD you're posting it everywhere you can think of! This is the first I've seen it.

I nearly had something similar happen when I did my spacers. The guy who lives around the corner from me has a small one man shop right next to the parking lot where I do my wrenching (driveway is item #1 when buying our next house, BTW) and he used his impact gun on my driverside rear tire lugs. And he torqued them to about 30 pounds . I drove the prescribed 50 miles and pulled back into the lot with lugs that were then only finger tight. I spun one entirely off by hand. Scary shit.

Torque your nuts!

post #14 of 27 Old 04-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayton1999 View Post
BURN!

post #15 of 27 Old 04-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayton1999 View Post
Awesome reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #16 of 27 Old 04-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
BURN!
Not a burn, when you go surf the forums posts and keep seeing the same one pop up, come'on man what does he expect to hear from one board to the next?

Here-----Per factory "85-110" first torque all 5 lugs (in the proper sequence) to 85 foot pounds and, then, re-torque them to 110 foot pounds. This is pretty much standard procedure with composite rims. It allows for a more gradual tightening in order to obviate fracturing the rims...
post #17 of 27 Old 04-06-2011, 06:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

same thing happend to me with 35's and spacers, but the tire didnt come off, jeep just started driving funny and when i pulled over to check it out i nocied i snapped a stud off the spacer.
no way the dealer will cover that, MAYBE if you had stock rims/tires and the dealer did the brake job. id say your best bet is insurance you dont want to foot the bill yourself

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #18 of 27 Old 04-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Slow and Low

I'm sorry I tried to steal your wheels. In return for the inconvenience I have caused, I will give you a nice set of OEM front rotors, if you end up needing one.
post #19 of 27 Old 04-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Rock God

Glad all is well to but if the axle is shot I would upgrade. Just pay the difference.

I'm sure I'll think of something
post #20 of 27 Old 04-06-2011, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
I'm sorry I tried to steal your wheels. In return for the inconvenience I have caused, I will give you a nice set of OEM front rotors, if you end up needing one.
It was the rear driver. Don't know if it's worth the drive to the springs in the F350 to get them if you've got 'em though.

Thanks for the offer man.

post #21 of 27 Old 04-06-2011, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkbooth View Post
Not a burn, when you go surf the forums posts and keep seeing the same one pop up, come'on man what does he expect to hear from one board to the next?

Here-----Per factory "85-110" first torque all 5 lugs (in the proper sequence) to 85 foot pounds and, then, re-torque them to 110 foot pounds. This is pretty much standard procedure with composite rims. It allows for a more gradual tightening in order to obviate fracturing the rims...
It's not what I expected to hear, I'm not trying to troll for attention, I really wanted to get it out in the open...I didn't ask any questions in the OP.

I posted on JF yesterday just to bring it up, then today thought, "Man, not everyone is on JF" Off to JKO I go! Then I thought, "Man, not everyone owns a Jeep." Off to Colorado4x4 I run....It was just a lot easier to copy and paste it then to type up something else. I realize that my post may have been a bit of a story more than an information session.

Sorry if it inconvenienced your forum browsing efficiency....I'm on days off at the moment and have the time.

post #22 of 27 Old 04-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Iíd have that torque wrench calibration checked. I just had one of my Snapon ones done at it was way off (its 15 years old had hadnít been checked in all that time).

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #23 of 27 Old 04-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Wheeler

I have had an aftermarket wheel loosen up on my JK as well after Im certain it was tight. I have never had this issue before with any vehicle including 9 other Jeeps. No idea why it did it and now I check them monthly.

Glad she was ok!

2010 Black 2-dr. Rubicon
2.5" TF
35s
winch
stuff
post #24 of 27 Old 04-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUJeeper View Post
It's not what I expected to hear, I'm not trying to troll for attention, I really wanted to get it out in the open...I didn't ask any questions in the OP.

I posted on JF yesterday just to bring it up, then today thought, "Man, not everyone is on JF" Off to JKO I go! Then I thought, "Man, not everyone owns a Jeep." Off to Colorado4x4 I run....It was just a lot easier to copy and paste it then to type up something else. I realize that my post may have been a bit of a story more than an information session.

Sorry if it inconvenienced your forum browsing efficiency....I'm on days off at the moment and have the time.
Hay thanks for telling us and every one else. your just looking out for others, and Im glad your wife is ok.

2010 2 door sport, 6 speed,Dark Charcoal Pearl
post #25 of 27 Old 04-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Rock God

that happened on my car hauler, if the nuts are loose, the rim will work its way off.

In 2009 a crack commando wheelin' unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the South Florida underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as wheelers of fortune. If you have a problem. If no one else can help. And if you can find them. Maybe you can wheel with The 50/50 Off-Road Team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode