Jeep 1 Altima 0 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 04-05-2011, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to D5Fire
Jeep 1 Altima 0

Had this stupid lady loose it on the on ramp to the interstate as I was leaving the fire dept headed to work at the fire academy. She spun out doing at least 65 crossed 2 lanes, where I missed her once, then she took it back into the guard rail and bounced back out. Unfortunately I couldn't miss her the 2nd time. My cheap Chinese Smitty Bilt bumper help up like a champ, which is more than I can say for my fender. From what I could tell on the side of the interstate, my axle has been pushed back on the passenger side, the shock is blown, and she was hemorrhaging oil. ( I think my filter caught a hole in it, but Im not sure yet, wasn't exactly in a place to crawl underneath)

Fortis cadere, cedere non potest

Poison Spyder BFH w/ trail stinger, custom rear BFH, crusher flares, rocker knockers, evap skid, hood louver. Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, Teraflex rear tire carrier, River Raider cowl snorkel,Warn VR 10,000 lbs winch, sPod, Rigid 50"SR.

Last edited by D5Fire; 04-11-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 04-05-2011, 08:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Wow sounds like you were pretty fortunate. Lady okay, is that a dealer tag on her car?

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #3 of 37 Old 04-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Glad you are alright, how about the lady?

Sorry to hear about the Jeep damage, hopefully it will lend to an upgrade you want.

09 BLACK Sahara 4 Door - Auto, G2 4.88s
TF 2.5" Coil Lift w/shocks, TF Frnt Adj Trac, TF FLCA, JKS Discos, JKS Rear Adj Trac, LOD Full Rear GEN2,
A.C.E. Rock Rails, Viper TB: Check the Garage for more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 04-05-2011, 08:17 AM
Wheeler

That sucks, but as long as your ok, the Jeep can be fixed.

4" Superlift, 35" Nitto Tera Grapplers, 18" Moto Metal wheel's, front XHD Rugged Ridge bumper, 10000 lb SuperWinch, rear XHD Rugged Ridge bumper with tire carrier, ACE rock rails.
post #5 of 37 Old 04-05-2011, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

everybody walked away, so thats good. Thats not a dealer tag on her car just one of the pretty lame state plates we have. Looks a bit ghey for me. My biggest concern is the front axle, hopefully when it got pushed back nothing sheared, ripped, or tore and it will still be good. There is a little rash on my wheel, but thats no biggie, and of course the fender is tore off so it looks like a set of PSC crusher flares has moved up on my list of mods to do. The shock is definitely blown, and the spring is way bent out of shape so Im sure that will have to be changed as well. Ive got my fingers crossed that the oil was coming from a hole in the filter, and nowhere important or expensive.

Poison Spyder BFH w/ trail stinger, custom rear BFH, crusher flares, rocker knockers, evap skid, hood louver. Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, Teraflex rear tire carrier, River Raider cowl snorkel,Warn VR 10,000 lbs winch, sPod, Rigid 50"SR.
post #6 of 37 Old 04-05-2011, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

In one of the pics you can see the guard rail and how its now pretty wavy, that was a brand new section of rail, she put all those waves in it. Lucky for her it was there because on the other side is a drop into a 30-40 deep ravine. Good for her, bad for me, cause if it wasnt there my Jeep would be in my garage and not on a rollback.

post #7 of 37 Old 04-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Rock God

Garage

Dude, UPGRADE TIME!!!! sweet. Did your airbag deploy?

Call Larry and Anthony for insurance quote purposes....just saying, and she even destroyed your Rigid light you just put on there!

Poison Spyder BFH w/ TRail Stinger,Teraflex Budget Boost,Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers,Warn M8000,AEM Cold Air Intake,DIY Fender chop
Pro Comp Wheels
Pro Comp Extreme All Terrain tires
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediamaxim View Post
I won't even SQUINT, WHICH IS SAD WHEN I'm F-ING ASIAN!
post #8 of 37 Old 04-05-2011, 09:05 AM
JKowners Vendor

post #9 of 37 Old 04-05-2011, 09:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sounds like a good time for the shop to "Accidentally" quote a D44 for you since her insurance is obviously going to be paying.
Glad you are safe.
post #10 of 37 Old 04-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Sounds like a good time for the shop to "Accidentally" quote a D44 for you since her insurance is obviously going to be paying.
Glad you are safe.
THIS!!!!!!!!

Justin
2009 Sahara Unlimited-The Saharacon
Just hanging out in the land of the banned
post #11 of 37 Old 04-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Glad everyone walked away. Sorry that your Jeep is going to be out of commission for a little while. Good luck with everything.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #12 of 37 Old 04-05-2011, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by REBEL OFFROAD View Post

Check your giveaway thread I just posted those exact flares on my wishlist there Maybe you could stick the sympathy card into the number randomizer that you use for the drawing.

post #13 of 37 Old 04-05-2011, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenfeet View Post
Dude, UPGRADE TIME!!!! sweet. Did your airbag deploy?

Call Larry and Anthony for insurance quote purposes....just saying, and she even destroyed your Rigid light you just put on there!
To go along with the prorock 44 axle, and the RK max travel lift that was also just installed right.

post #14 of 37 Old 04-05-2011, 09:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Damn!
where was that?

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #15 of 37 Old 04-05-2011, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
Damn!
where was that?
I-20 west bound just before exit 71

post #16 of 37 Old 04-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Granite Guru

Good to see you didn't get hurt, I have the same front bumper and I'm glad to see it held up. Enjoy your new flares and axle upgrade!

2010 Sahara Unlimited & a 1998 TJ - See my You Tube channel
post #17 of 37 Old 04-05-2011, 10:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Glad youre alright man, they call the fire dept out there ?
If you need any help with those PSC flares I'm always down.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
post #18 of 37 Old 04-05-2011, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I was very impressed with how the bumper held up. A lot of people give Smitty Bilt products crap because the whole made in china thing, but this took the full hit on what should have been the weakest part of the bumper (the tube extensions) and didn't budge at all. Even the tow truck drivers were commenting on how well it held up. I have been tossing around the idea of switching it for the PSC Brawler Lite, but if I had had that one on here the care would have went right into my tire and fender and Im sure things would have been much worse.

post #19 of 37 Old 04-05-2011, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Glad youre alright man, they call the fire dept out there ?
If you need any help with those PSC flares I'm always down.
Yeah engine 14 showed up for about 2 minutes. Just long enough to make sure there were no injuries and they took off. With the storm that came through last night we had all been running pretty hard, from one call to the other so I cleared them and hung out for Highway Patrol

post #20 of 37 Old 04-05-2011, 10:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D5Fire View Post
I was very impressed with how the bumper held up. A lot of people give Smitty Bilt products crap because the whole made in china thing, but this took the full hit on what should have been the weakest part of the bumper (the tube extensions) and didn't budge at all. Even the tow truck drivers were commenting on how well it held up. I have been tossing around the idea of switching it for the PSC Brawler Lite, but if I had had that one on here the care would have went right into my tire and fender and Im sure things would have been much worse.
It looks like it did a great job.
Realizing slowly that my psc "bumper" isn't much protection

-Doc Holiday
post #21 of 37 Old 04-05-2011, 10:14 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Awww man!!

Glad you're ok and hooray for new Jeep parts! LOL

Marcus

post #22 of 37 Old 04-05-2011, 10:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sorry for your luck. Glad everybody is OK though.

Hopefully you had it towed to your house or the tow yard and not to a shop. If you let a shop handle everything for you, you won't see a penny and they will get to decide what replacement parts to use.

It is your right to fix your Jeep with whatever parts you want and even do it yourself. Just have yours or her insurance adjuster write an estimate. It's OK if they miss things because you can claim suppliments as they occur. You may also choose to have your insurance handle the repair for you if you are not comfortable dealing with the other person's carrier. That's what I did.

In my case, the labor and parts for a Rubicon D44 replacement just happened to be the same cost as a Currie D60 with self install. I also did pretty well on the other repairs.

Last edited by RotorHead; 04-05-2011 at 10:27 AM.
post #23 of 37 Old 04-05-2011, 10:25 AM
JKowners Vendor

Wow buddy! Sorry to see this! If there is anything we can do, please let me know! We would be more than happy to send you some more PSC goodies your way! Or that axle or lift or...

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #24 of 37 Old 04-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Rock God

Garage

Don't knock any bumper or brand in this case, except NISSAN,lol.

BFH bumper, not Built For Dumbasses

Poison Spyder BFH w/ TRail Stinger,Teraflex Budget Boost,Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers,Warn M8000,AEM Cold Air Intake,DIY Fender chop
Pro Comp Wheels
Pro Comp Extreme All Terrain tires
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediamaxim View Post
I won't even SQUINT, WHICH IS SAD WHEN I'm F-ING ASIAN!
post #25 of 37 Old 04-05-2011, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
It looks like it did a great job.
Realizing slowly that my psc "bumper" isn't much protection
Dont get me wrong PSC makes a great product, and I may still get one, and I know for sure I will get a lot of their other products, but its the age old bumper question of protection or clearance. The Full width offers the best protection but you loose out on clearance for crawling over obstacles, where as the stubby type is the exact opposite. I was also never a fan of how bulky some of the full width bumpers are which is why I went with the one I got, it offers good protection, but its very bulky, so Im just working the middle ground.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode