jk brakes upgrade,, whos done it - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 04-04-2011, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

jk brakes upgrade,, whos done it

As my JK brakes are getting due to change out. Im curious to see what other JKOs are using. I guess what im asking is, what brand rotors, slotted, drilled, or blank, or oem replacement, I guess also material, as there is different materials in the rotors an pads, Im not looking for a big brake kit. Im just asking what you guys an gals are running, and are happy with. price per rotor will also help and price you paid on pads. Or a online hookup. As i do more research an the input from all of you, I want to find the best possible brake kits for the best bang for the buck$$$. Thanks JKO FamBam,,,,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 04-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Granite Guru

rebel offroad has an awesome break kit... i love it and their customer service is the best ive ever delt with. sent them an email asking a question and they called me within a day or two to talk to me about my question. good luck getting any other company to call you to talk about your jeep and to answer all your questions you might have. the best people ive ever delt with.

Nice one Codd. Why dont you go have a Crainal Anal Inversion and call me tomorrow?

Thanks to people like you I have job security!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Why no officer this is not a potato launcher. Potato launchers are illegal. Why this, this is a Yam launcher!
post #3 of 39 Old 04-04-2011, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter_EMT View Post
rebel offroad has an awesome break kit... i love it and their customer service is the best ive ever delt with. sent them an email asking a question and they called me within a day or two to talk to me about my question. good luck getting any other company to call you to talk about your jeep and to answer all your questions you might have. the best people ive ever delt with.
Thanks, but im really looking for your opinion on the brakes you have, are they slotted, drilled, or oem,, what brand are they? Price? how did they perform after installed,,,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 04-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Granite Guru

they are cross drilled and slotted with ceramic pads up front and semi metallic in the rear. they were about 600 with shipping and that was to ga from cali. the breaks are significantly better and its not enough to throw you through the windshield but it def. stops a hell of a lot quicker than stock.

Nice one Codd. Why dont you go have a Crainal Anal Inversion and call me tomorrow?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Why no officer this is not a potato launcher. Potato launchers are illegal. Why this, this is a Yam launcher!
post #5 of 39 Old 04-04-2011, 07:44 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I second the Rebel Offroad Engineering brake kits.

Here's some information as well as a link to the Rebel Offroad Engineering brake kits:

REBEL OFFROAD ENGINEERING JK Brake Kit (Complete Kit). Front and Rear Brake Rotors with Front and Rear Pads. These rotors are both double drilled and slotted for the ulitmate in stopping power. If your Jeep has larger than stock tires then you know just how poor the factory brakes work. UPGRADE your brakes and stop your Jeep, safely and with confidence.

Customers state the stopping power is up to 40% better than stock. The Double Drilled and staggered holes increase pad bite and allow faster heat dissipation. (keeps rotors about 150-200 degrees cooler over standard OEM rotors)

Kit includes:1 Pair of Front Rotors 1 Pair of Rear Rotors1 Set of Front Brake Pads 1 Set of Rear Brake Pads

Features

* Rotors are cast with a G3500 casting grade for Stronger tension strength. (Factory OEM rotors are cast with only G3000 casting grade.)
* Black Electronic finish for the rust protection. (400 hours of salt water exposure without rusting)
* Double Disc Grinding leaves a non-directional finish on the friction surface area for more effective pad-rotor break in. This special finish also provides quieter and smoother stops.
* Center Split casting provide proper heat transfer for better braking power and safety.(Eliminating Heat spots)
* Premium rotors are mill balance to a tolerance of less than 2oz per inch. (Reduces chances of vibration)
* Posi Quiet Pads. Pads are scorched and there is no break in period required. Low Brake Dust with a longer life span over standard O.E. Pads
* Customers state an increase of 40% more stopping power over stock.

http://www.rivercityoffroad.com/Sear...ad+engineering

http://www.rivercityoffroad.com/Prod...ode=ROE-JK-BKC

Here's the link over on Rebel's site:

http://www.rebeloffroad.com/SearchRe...neering+brakes

Let us know if you have more questions. I know you were asking for more options, but besides this one and the Tera-Flex kit your options are slim.

Marcus

post #6 of 39 Old 04-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Rock God

Garage

I also have the Rebel kit and highly recommend.

2008 Rubicon Unlimited | Rescue Green | OME Long Travel HD Lift | Raceline Monster Beadlocks | 39.5 Irok Bias Tires| 5.13 Gears | PSC BFH Front Bumper | PSC Flares | PCS Crusher Corners |PSC Rock Brawler Rear w/tire carrier | Warn 9.5ti | ARB High Flow On Board Air | sPOD |Rock Hard Sport Cage | Poly High Steer Kit | Poly Front Track Bar Brace | Alloy Chromoly Rear Axle Shafts
post #7 of 39 Old 04-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Granite Guru

I have the Teraflex big brake kit and I love it. I had EBC yellow pads and EBC slotted and dimpled rotors but I wasnt really impressed by them

08 Detonator Yellow Rubicon-RE Arms-37" Mt/R's with Kevlar-Riddler Diff Cover-LoD stubby with Stinger-LoD stubby tire carrier-Warn M8000 Winch-Rigid D2's-20" Rigid Light Bar-SPOD-PS Rocker Knockers-PS Body Armor-5.13s-hydro assist-RCV shafts-IPF-Corbeau LG1 seats-12" King coilovers-AEV Hood-AEV Snorkel-5.7L VVT Hemi-AEV hemi Install Kit-4.5" AEV Springs-ProRock 44-AlloyUSA Rear shafts-Spyntech Hubs-Raceline Monters-
post #8 of 39 Old 04-04-2011, 08:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Here is a link
http://www.outlawoffroad.com/14704/2...pads-3721.html

These guys have done a lot of custom work on my previous Jeep and stand behind their work too.
post #9 of 39 Old 04-04-2011, 09:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Don't slotted and drilled rotors chew up brake pads pretty quickly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #10 of 39 Old 04-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Rear = Auto Zone ceramic pads & Rebel Off-Road brake rotors.
Front = Factory pads & rotors.

Noticeable difference.....especially when you have to brake really hard.

*Will be upgrading to Rebel Off-Road pads & rotors for the front....asap.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #11 of 39 Old 04-04-2011, 09:27 PM
JKowners Vendor

Thank you all for the great reviews!

Cheers,
Bond

post #12 of 39 Old 04-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Wheeler

Just put ebc greenstuff 7000s on the front with robestis*so rotors and stockers on the back. It stops somewhat faster (ABS will even come on a bit on dry roads if you really stand on it) biggest difference was how straight it went under heavy breaking

There must have been a time when we could have said no.

06 LJ Rubi with JK axles and stuff
10 JKU Sahara with Rubi axles RIP
post #13 of 39 Old 04-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by REBEL OFFROAD View Post
Thank you all for the great reviews!

Cheers,
Bond

Another vote for the Rebel upgrade. I've been running it for 6 months or so and am VERY happy with the results. Money well spent. My write up in the Write Up Library>
https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39331

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #14 of 39 Old 04-04-2011, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanx guys for all your input. Its greatly appreciated, I am looking into all these options, as im also looking into getting the best brake system money can buy. I know Rebel puts out great products an there also good friends of mine. I will keep you all posted on my decisions an look deeper into pros n cons of slotted, drilled, or oem marerials,, thanks again an keep the opinions an comments coming,,
post #15 of 39 Old 04-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Granite Guru

I have the Rebel kit also, works great.
post #16 of 39 Old 04-05-2011, 07:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUDDLZ View Post
Here is a link

These guys have done a lot of custom work on my previous Jeep and stand behind their work too.
Is that just bond's old company? They even use the same picture for the brake kit...
post #17 of 39 Old 04-05-2011, 08:21 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Is that just bond's old company? They even use the same picture for the brake kit...
It's the system I developed when I was over at Outlaw. Since it, along with the coilover systems, was my design I was able to bring everything over to Rebel Offroad.

Cheers,
Bond
post #18 of 39 Old 04-05-2011, 08:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REBEL OFFROAD View Post
It's the system I developed when I was over at Outlaw. Since it, along with the coilover systems, was my design I was able to bring everything over to Rebel Offroad.

Cheers,
Bond
Sweet
post #19 of 39 Old 04-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Granite Guru

Only thing missing out of the rebel kit is those little metal clips. But you can get some from autozone or advanced for cheap..

post #20 of 39 Old 04-05-2011, 09:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Seems kind of expensive if all your getting is rotors, I wouldnt expect a huge improvement unless your going with a better caliper and bigger rotor......
post #21 of 39 Old 04-05-2011, 09:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Check your front rotors.....the JK has a habit of concentrating its braking power to the rear, so the fronts are probably still pretty clean, rotors look almost untouched. I'm just replacing my factory rotors with a set of Mopars and installing the Hawk pads I got from 4x4trailgear.

So ceramic pads in the front (if you go that route) shouldn't be too much of a problem with the dust (always enjoyed the quality of ceramics, but hated the dust....then again, my speciality was Japanese sport/luxury cars). Slotted/drilled rotors are pretty much in the same boat....will tear up pads more quickly, but will keep it cooler when running the hot laps (again, coming from an import sports car perspective).

Dirty's Minions don't officially exist. They are a myth, a bedtime story, a whispered rumor. They are ghosts.

post #22 of 39 Old 04-06-2011, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Check your front rotors.....the JK has a habit of concentrating its braking power to the rear, so the fronts are probably still pretty clean, rotors look almost untouched. I'm just replacing my factory rotors with a set of Mopars and installing the Hawk pads I got from 4x4trailgear.

So ceramic pads in the front (if you go that route) shouldn't be too much of a problem with the dust (always enjoyed the quality of ceramics, but hated the dust....then again, my speciality was Japanese sport/luxury cars). Slotted/drilled rotors are pretty much in the same boat....will tear up pads more quickly, but will keep it cooler when running the hot laps (again, coming from an import sports car perspective).
Yes im gona have to totally agree with you. The slotted may help with the pad to rotor suface, but I honestly dont think the double drilled is helping. My Jk dosnt move that fast to actually heat the rotor up. To where I need it to kool down from the drilled portions,, Im still tryn to get the correct answers on pros n cons.
post #23 of 39 Old 04-06-2011, 08:25 AM
JKO Addict!

My $.02

Be careful with the cross-drilled and/or slotted rotors. In many cases they can actually reduce brake performance.

The point of cross-drilling/venting is to realease the gasses that can build up under the pad during hard braking and to reduce heat build-up. The problem with that is that by drilling/venting you are removing swept area off the rotor, in some cases as much as 10+%. The bennifit that you would recieve from the gas release and cooling would be outweighed by the loss of performance from lack of swept area unless you are constantly running at the high end of your brakes performace envelope. Unless you tow heavy loads daily or are going to an oversized rotor (think 15-20% greater swept area) you are better off staying with a simple factory styled rotor.

A simple and relativley inexpensive way to drasticaly improve your stock brakes performance for towing and oversized tires is to do three things.

1. Change out your pads for a super premium/performance pad (Hawk, EBC, Etc.)

2. Change out your rubber brake lines for braided stainless. This reduces swell in hot and old lines under pressure (and they are also much more durable off-road!).

3. If your breaking system will support it, switch to a higher rated brake fluid (DOT 5). This has a higher silicon amount and a much higher boiling point. If you do this though be sure to thoroughly evacuate all old fluid before filling with the new fluid.

These three things can be accomplished in most cases for much less than $200 and can make a very dramatic improvment in your brake system performance as well as longevity.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #24 of 39 Old 04-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUDDLZ View Post
Here is a link

I like the Rebel Kit and do not like EBC. Most of the rotors you are looking at online are white box rotors. In other words made in China and shipped to the USA. Not to get into the argument of made in China or USA is better or worse. However the quality and manufacturing of the Rebel kit is far and away better than most Rotors out there for that price point. I have had to replace the EBC slotted and dimpled rotors 2x on my other vehicle due to warping. EBC replaced them for free but still it cost me $200 for the 2x I had to have the new rotors turned before installing them. (EBC told me that this was necessary, ProCut lathe)

If you want Rotors that will last the life of the Jeep go with REBEL.

Obama's EPA just shut down your favorite ORV trail.
post #25 of 39 Old 04-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Rock God

Garage

Would love to see a Rebel vs Teraflex shoot-out...

2011 5.3L GM LC9 Aluminum LS V8 Conversion w/ Custom Dyno Tune
Aluminum Genright Bumpers Front & Rear - Aluminum Nemesis Rockers
PR44/RCV/Reid Front - Superior Rear - ORF Front / Poly Rear Cage - ORF Tire Carrier
RK 3.5" Springs - Fox 2.0 Adjustable Shocks - JKS Arms & Trackbars - Poly Steering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode