Pentastar V6 or Burnsville 6.4 Hemi Swap? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old 04-04-2011, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to Bombero37A
Question Pentastar V6 or Burnsville 6.4 Hemi Swap?

I have a beautiful 2010 Sahara Unlimited. Ive put 16k into it on tires, lift, wheels, bumpers, sound system etc. Should I trade for the new V6 when it comes out or should I go for the Burnsville 6.4 VVT Hemi swap @ $26K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 04-04-2011, 08:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Why not go with a 5.7 Hemi swap for +/- 10K. The 6.4L isnt that much better of an engine to justify the extra 16k cost.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #3 of 52 Old 04-04-2011, 08:39 AM
JKO Addict!

I doubt you will be able to recoop anywhere near that 16K investment so keep it would be my suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 Old 04-04-2011, 08:39 AM
Granite Guru

I would say get a HEMI. The pentastar is probably going to be cut down on the power end. I have read that thread a bunch of times on another forum and they are quoting 280HP but I would imagine that Chrysler is going to tone it down because of CAFE standards and Emissions. The HEMI gives you the ability to get a lot more HP then the pentastar would. But you are going to put about $25000 into the HEMI conversion. The guys in my apartment complex has a HEMI in his wrangle done by AEV and it cost about $17K because he already had the HEMI motor from his old work truck.
post #5 of 52 Old 04-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Wheeler

If you think the penastar engine is going to be somesort of a powerhouse, you better think again. Its not that impressive. Marginally better than the current engine. Test drive the new Grand Cherokee with this engine and you'll be disappointed.

There is no substitute for V8 power, especially a 6.1L

2008 Rubicon 2 door 6.5" lift, 37" Swampers, RR narrow tube fenders, reinforced axles, long travel shocks, Rubicrawler 10.88:1, Allied Rockathon Beadlocks, AEV snorkel, Warn winch, purejeep rocker guard, stubby tire carrier, plus a ton of other mods.
post #6 of 52 Old 04-04-2011, 09:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rubicon View Post
Why not go with a 5.7 Hemi swap for +/- 10K. The 6.4L isnt that much better of an engine to justify the extra 16k cost.
I have to disagree with the first part of that. The 6.4 is a HUGE improvement over the old 5.7. All of the dyno tests in the new charger have hinted that the numbers actually understated.

As for the costs, to be fare Burnsville wants 21,500 for the 5.7 swap so its only a ~5K difference.
post #7 of 52 Old 04-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Granite Guru

How about a supercharger? Ripp or Avenger?

2009 JK Unlimited - Deep Water Blue
Rough Country 2.5" Series II Budget Boost
18" XD Monsters w/ 35" Trail Grapplers
Superchips Flashpaq
KC windshield light brackets w/ KC slimlights
Rugged Ridge XHD Modular Winch Bumper
Smittybilt SRC8 Winch
Relocated Flowmaster Super 44 w/ offroad tailpipe
post #8 of 52 Old 04-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

AEV 6.4 if you think you need 480+HP with no check engine light on and great customer support....

I would recommend the 5.7VVT its plenty of HP and better on gas and at a much lower install price.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #9 of 52 Old 04-04-2011, 09:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabookie10 View Post
How about a supercharger? Ripp or Avenger?
The best bang for the buck you can get. I love my Avenger setup.
post #10 of 52 Old 04-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
The best bang for the buck you can get. I love my Avenger setup.
Still not gonna give you the HP and torque that a V8 is going to get you. The V6 SuperCharged is good if you just want minimal HP gains. The Avenger Ive seen on youtube, a JK with 500hp. Not bad for a minivan engine.
post #11 of 52 Old 04-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Rock God

Garage

I have the 5.7 Hemi in my 2007 unlimited and although I'm sure the 6.4 would be more powerful I just don't see a reason why I personally would need the extra power.

Contact Ben Hedrick on here he has had the 5.7, 6.2, and now has the 6.4 and they are all AEV installs. He may be able to provide a very intelligent response to your question.

Jester
Jester Offroad

863-875-7907
post #12 of 52 Old 04-04-2011, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to Bombero37A

Which install is better, the AEV or Burnsville? What are the price differences between the two companies in regards to the 5.7 and 6.4 VVT's?
post #13 of 52 Old 04-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07BlackOps View Post
Still not gonna give you the HP and torque that a V8 is going to get you. The V6 SuperCharged is good if you just want minimal HP gains. The Avenger Ive seen on youtube, a JK with 500hp. Not bad for a minivan engine.
Wrong... check out post 34

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...t=46664&page=2

2011 JKU Rubicon
PSC Evap Skid
PSC Diff Covers
Dynomax Rock Crawler exhaust
ACE Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier
Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex W/ Bilstein 5100's
35" Nitto Trail Grappler's
post #14 of 52 Old 04-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Granite Guru

This was the post I saw, where I got my info.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...video-1190714/
You should really watch both videos to get the point of what Im saying.
post #15 of 52 Old 04-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombero37A View Post
Which install is better, the AEV or Burnsville? What are the price differences between the two companies in regards to the 5.7 and 6.4 VVT's?
Different calibrations and CEL's are common on BOR's conversions....Ask SGT Rock!

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #16 of 52 Old 04-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Wheeler

Send a message via Yahoo to ChopperPilot

If you got the bucks... go for the Hemi.

Electric Hats On, Cool Visor Down, Two to Fly and lets get the Hell out of here...
post #17 of 52 Old 04-04-2011, 10:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Its been awhile, But last I checked JSS was doing a turnkey swap for about 10k.

$3k Used 5.7VVT with Trany
$3.5K Conversion Parts kit
$3.5K Labor

And they have gotten their kit thru California Smog!

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #18 of 52 Old 04-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Pentastar V6 or Burnsville 6.4 Hemi Swap?

Is this a trick question?

I would do a 5.7 and call it a day... or better yet, get in touch with Jeep Speed Shop and do a Chevy 6.2L VVT swap.

įlllllį

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #19 of 52 Old 04-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Rock God

Guys,
Here's my thoughts. I done a 5.7L (converted to an LX) truck in my black Sahara which is now Jester's, I done the 6.1L SRT8 in my Silver Rubicon Racer build and my new 2011 will have the 6.4VVT SRT8 and is being completed now. My favorite "so far" has been the 5.7L truck and I did not like the 6.1L very much at all and the jury is still out on the 6.4VVT but, I fully expect the 6.4L VVT to be the best but also the costliest. The 5.7VVT right now, would be the least expensive if you're going all new parts. This unit although I haven't owned the 5.7VVT I've driven it and it is REALLY REALLY nice in the JK's. I expect the 6.4 VVT will be just as good but with just with a little more power than the 5.7VVT.
As far as a install kit goes, I've only used AEV's kit so can't really comment on BOR or JSS's kit. Sorry...

Anyway, although the RIPP and Avenger superchargers are nice, I'm a V8 guy and you can't beat the torque and sound from the HEMI's along with the iconic "jaw drops" you get when you open the hood. The JSS Chevy kits I'm sure are great engines too, it's just I like to keep my Mopar's Mopar and my Chevy's Chevy. I get a lot of support from Mopar so my Jeep's will always have Mopar power. My Silverado truck, has a Chevy in it...

Ben

Ben Hedrick
Projects:
2011 6.4L VVT SRT8 HEMI Rubicon

2010 6.1L SRT HEMI JK Unlimited Rubicon
2007 5.7L HEMI JK Unlimited Sahara
2002 4.0L Jeep AEV Brute
2003 6.4L Stroker HEMI Jeep AEV Brute
2005 4.0L Jeep AEV Brute
2014 5.7L HEMI JK Unlimited Rubicon eXpedition Jeep

Last edited by Ben Hedrick; 04-04-2011 at 12:40 PM.
post #20 of 52 Old 04-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSDPV View Post
If you think the penastar engine is going to be somesort of a powerhouse, you better think again. Its not that impressive. Marginally better than the current engine. Test drive the new Grand Cherokee with this engine and you'll be disappointed.

There is no substitute for V8 power, especially a 6.1L
Folks

I just turned in a 2011 Dodge Durango (rental) with the new Penastar. NOT IMPRESSED. If you have every driven the old Dodge charger or intrepid with the 3.5 it is the same thing..... Very little low end and at about 4500 RPM the engine starts to come alive. You had to have your foot in it most of the time to get this vehicle to move. However at highway speed it was a great cruiser. SUPERCHARGER or HEMI I would not spring for a new Penestar. I think it is well over rated.

Obama's EPA just shut down your favorite ORV trail.
post #21 of 52 Old 04-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hedrick View Post
The JSS Chevy kits I'm sure are great engines too, it's just I like to keep my Mopar's Mopar and my Chevy's Chevy.Ben

I would too.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #22 of 52 Old 04-04-2011, 07:54 PM
JPK
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hedrick View Post
Guys,
Here's my thoughts. I done a 5.7L (converted to an LX) truck in my black Sahara which is now Jester's, I done the 6.1L SRT8 in my Silver Rubicon Racer build and my new 2011 will have the 6.4VVT SRT8 and is being completed now. My favorite "so far" has been the 5.7L truck and I did not like the 6.1L very much at all and the jury is still out on the 6.4VVT but, I fully expect the 6.4L VVT to be the best but also the costliest. The 5.7VVT right now, would be the least expensive if you're going all new parts. This unit although I haven't owned the 5.7VVT I've driven it and it is REALLY REALLY nice in the JK's. I expect the 6.4 VVT will be just as good but with just with a little more power than the 5.7VVT.
As far as a install kit goes, I've only used AEV's kit so can't really comment on BOR or JSS's kit. Sorry...

Anyway, although the RIPP and Avenger superchargers are nice, I'm a V8 guy and you can't beat the torque and sound from the HEMI's along with the iconic "jaw drops" you get when you open the hood. The JSS Chevy kits I'm sure are great engines too, it's just I like to keep my Mopar's Mopar and my Chevy's Chevy. I get a lot of support from Mopar so my Jeep's will always have Mopar power. My Silverado truck, has a Chevy in it...

Ben
I have the AEV done 5.7 VVT and I've driven a 6.1 SRT8. I found the 6.1 quicker, faster for sure. I didn't drive the 6.1 for very long, but I never did find the flat spot in the torque curve that the AEV guys said would be there, the engine just seems to pull and pull more through the rpm's. It sure liked the rpm's, but didn't seem to be missing anything down low either.

Though the 6.1 seemed to be more of everything compared to my 5.7 VVT I have to say that the 5.7 VVT in the JKU is about the perfect combination and I'm very pleased with my set up.

If I were to do it again (and I would in a heart beat if my Jeep were totaled or stolen) I might try the 6.4 since it is supposed to have a flatter, lower torque curve than the 6.1 and just more of everything compared to the 5.7 VVT, but the 5.7 VVT puts a smile on my face everytime I fire it up or head down the road. You wouldn't go wrong with the 5.7 VVT. And I would go AEV.

For all the talk of the Pentastar, it will be not so much the engine that fixes the stock JKU performance but the five speed transmission. The 42rfe just sucks with its too large a leap from 1:1 third to .67:1 OD fourth. Heck, half the benefit of a Hemi swap is the 5-45rfe which has third at 1:1 like the 42 but had an intermediary OD fourth before the ~.66:1 or so fifth. No drama on downshifts unless your foot is into it big time and you're looking for drama. The Pentastar will only be a better 3.8, still missing the low end.

As far as a supercharger, well, there must be some torque and hp gain down low, Ripps says so, but the dynos all start too high.

Remember this: ANY Hemi has more torque at 1200rpm's than the 3.8 does at max. That won't change with the 3.6.

JPK

Last edited by JPK; 04-04-2011 at 07:59 PM.
post #23 of 52 Old 04-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Rock God

You can get a brand new 5.7L VVT hemi truck engine and trans for around $6K. If you really want a 6.4L VVT then I would wait a little bit until the prices come down. I think just the engine alone is somewhere between $7K-$9K. You can also do ported intake, ported heads, camshaft, add a supercharger later on seeing that BOR has tuning figured out. If you really want the power curve wherever you want it then get a custom grind camshaft, ported heads, custom spec torque converter.
post #24 of 52 Old 04-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerblackout08 View Post
You can get a brand new 5.7L VVT hemi truck engine and trans for around $6K. If you really want a 6.4L VVT then I would wait a little bit until the prices come down. I think just the engine alone is somewhere between $7K-$9K. You can also do ported intake, ported heads, camshaft, add a supercharger later on seeing that BOR has tuning figured out. If you really want the power curve wherever you want it then get a custom grind camshaft, ported heads, custom spec torque converter.
Thats a lot of money to spend not to have cruise control or audio controls....

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #25 of 52 Old 04-05-2011, 12:06 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
Thats a lot of money to spend not to have cruise control or audio controls....

Jason
Care to explain? I don't understand what that has to do with an engine swap?

Last edited by wranglerblackout08; 04-05-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode