Bestop soft doors installed - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 04-02-2011, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Bestop soft doors installed

Got my 4 soft doors (uppers and lowers) this week and put them on, they were very easy to adjust, I have seen some posts of people saying they took them hours, I just hung them up with all adjustments loose, latched the door and then reached in and tightened them all, they all swing and align perfect 5-10 min a door for setup! My over all thought of them is they are great, fit the jams good are very light and is perfect for the good weather coming upon us, at highway speeds the tops dont start to pull out away from the jam until i hit around 68-70mph and after that its like maybe a 1/2" I dont speed around much over 65 anyways so all is well with that, they are not that loud, they do have a slight flap here and there but not bad at all, I am very happy with them and glad I bought them.

Just figured I would share my findings for anyone that is looking to pull the trigger on a set, but not sure due to mixed posts on them. Im glad I did.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-02-2011, 06:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
post #3 of 26 Old 04-02-2011, 07:41 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenFoo View Post
Lmao....that is good =)

Banned from that "other" site.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Let's go find some rocks! =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 04-02-2011, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Pic of just lowers

Pic with uppers
post #5 of 26 Old 04-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Coonasian

Garage

Nice stuff! I am debating between those and tube doors. Since I don't have a soft top at all now, I'll probably go with the tubes. Decisions, decisions! Very nice!
post #6 of 26 Old 04-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Rock God

Garage

i have seen people run the soft uppers with their hard tops. doesn't look too bad either.! so you really don't HAVE to run the tube doors just cuz you have a hard top... just sayin..

2011 MANGO TANGO sahara jku....bone stock.
r.i.p.08 jk x steel blue

CALL MARCUS.. NUFF' SAID..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 26 Old 04-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Coonasian

Garage

That is an option but I was thinking more along the line that if the heavens open up on me, I can't just pull over and lift the top on. My ass is soaked anyway!
post #8 of 26 Old 04-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via MSN to superdavis78 Send a message via Yahoo to superdavis78 Send a message via Skype™ to superdavis78

I'm glad you posted this. I was debating on getting a set for my 07 Rubi, so I could take the doors off this summer. I bet they might look pretty damn good with the new Trektop NX I am getting (if it ever releases, haha).

2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport
post #9 of 26 Old 04-02-2011, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdavis78 View Post
I'm glad you posted this. I was debating on getting a set for my 07 Rubi, so I could take the doors off this summer. I bet they might look pretty damn good with the new Trektop NX I am getting (if it ever releases, haha).
They will look damn good!
post #10 of 26 Old 04-03-2011, 05:57 AM
Rock God

Nice jeep. I like the renegade stickers and the soft doors.

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #11 of 26 Old 04-03-2011, 06:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Thanks for posting, I've been looking at those & contemplating putting on the soft top for the warm season. I had those on my former rock rig YJ. Had a bear of a time getting the top half to seal properly. JK has a bit better top to work with in that regard.
post #12 of 26 Old 04-03-2011, 06:44 AM
Granite Guru

I'm one of the unlucky ones that has a set that doesn't fit so well. I mean, sure they installed quickly enough and open/close without a problem, but like the back driver's side door leaks pretty badly during a steady rain (and I can't figure out where to adjust it as it's not an obvious spot). At speeds greater than about 55 the driver's side upper starts pulling away from the door frame about 2". Looking at it, it's flush to the door frame and shouldn't catch the wind, but it does.

For me, they work if I'm going to be out for an extended period of time and I want to be doorless...I can throw them in the back and know they're there if i need them and are certainly better than being completely doorless in a rainstorm!

however, if somebody local offered me decent $$$ for them, i can't say i'd turne em down!

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (Auto)
Stock Suspension
post #13 of 26 Old 04-03-2011, 07:17 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via MSN to superdavis78 Send a message via Yahoo to superdavis78 Send a message via Skype™ to superdavis78

I remember my dad's old CJ7 back in the day with the shitty soft top and full soft doors. Ahhh....memories!! I am pretty sure that I will have to have a set!!

2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport
post #14 of 26 Old 04-03-2011, 07:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Phil - I don't have the soft doors but I wonder if there is some way you use some strips of magnets attached to the door along the areas where the metal door frame contacts to keep it sealed tight at speed and still pop loose when you open the door. Not sure if this is possible or helpful but just thinking out loud. ? I wouldn't think there is anything at the very top area but what about the front portion?
post #15 of 26 Old 04-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Wheeler

Last year just before our Rubicon trip I ordered a set so I didnt have to run hard doors over the trail. I was not thrilled with the fit at all, it took much adjusting along with velcrow straps on the uppers around the rool bar so they didnt flop out and fly off. But I must say they did the trick and for what I need them for there isnt anything else out there for the $

[COLOR="Red"]COVERAGE FOR YOUR TOYS
Insurance coverage for Jeeps, Rock buggys, sand cars, R.V.'s and anything else you need insured.
Web site

Phone 951-736-6710
post #16 of 26 Old 04-04-2011, 03:00 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4 View Post
Phil - I don't have the soft doors but I wonder if there is some way you use some strips of magnets attached to the door along the areas where the metal door frame contacts to keep it sealed tight at speed and still pop loose when you open the door. Not sure if this is possible or helpful but just thinking out loud. ? I wouldn't think there is anything at the very top area but what about the front portion?
it might work, but i would think the jeep specs are within tight enough tolerances that bestop could manufacture a door with better quality control...they should put these things together and fit them BEFORE they leave their manufacturing facility.

for now, i use a velcro strap to hold the driver's side upper panel to the roll bar. should i have to do that, though? no...

Stock Suspension
post #17 of 26 Old 04-04-2011, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Like I stated above, I love them, You have to keep in mind that we are talking about doors that weigh about 15 pounds each total upper and lower together, they dont have the strength of a factory door by no means, they are what they are and do whats needed, this is a summer get the doors off quick and light with no back breaking set up, as they should be! They fit and shut pretty damn good for an aftermarket item, specially a door! They are no frills and if you want the feel of driving with stock hard doors I would say they are not for you then! If you want a door you can sling off quick with no weight behind them and then toss on quick in the summer showers, then these are a def for you! At first I was a little set back by the price as all should be,,,but after grabbin those damn doors off the hinge and holding them like holding the weight of a childs plastic kite.... now I am all about that!!!

The pros out weigh the cons in my opinion, I want you to make your own decisions though, I like mine, for sure! Anyone that likes slinging the doors off, Im sure you will be happy and so will your back, lol!
post #18 of 26 Old 04-07-2011, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Got my trek top in the mail today, Im digging the look with that and soft doors!

post #19 of 26 Old 04-07-2011, 02:33 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkbooth View Post
Got my trek top in the mail today, Im digging the look with that and soft doors!
that looks pretty sharp!

Stock Suspension
post #20 of 26 Old 04-07-2011, 02:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I like the look of the soft doors... maybe someday I'll pick some up.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #21 of 26 Old 04-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Rock God

I like that look, I need some soft door for mine,and I like that softtop

2010 2 door sport, 6 speed,Dark Charcoal Pearl
post #22 of 26 Old 04-08-2011, 04:29 PM

My experience was the exact opposite. Got the Bestop soft half-doors with uppers from Quadratec. The first set had one of the door latches with a bent jam keeping it from working correctly. The upper window posts would not fit into the receptacles on the lower half of the door. Phoned Bestop and Quadratec and got the "it's never happened before line".

Quadratec sent me a new door latch and later another set of doors. Out of the five door latches I was able to get one pair that would work. As to the uppers fitting the lowers, same problem, the fit-up tolerances were so poor I was only able to sort of get one upper into one of the lowers. This after taking a cheater bar to it and bending the posts.

As you can see from the photo, that will only get you so far. I sent it all back to Quadratec for a refund.

I ordered and received the stock half-doors with plastic windows from Jeepsareus. Kinda pricey but I think I will be happier with them in the long run.

Bob in Houston

post #23 of 26 Old 04-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Rock God

Garage

what fenders are those? any more pics of the whole jeep? i like the soft stuff! ;]

Teraflex - Poly Performance - Poison Spyder - Off Road Hero's - Rugged Ridge - Superchips - Goodyear - aFe
post #24 of 26 Old 04-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Rock God

This will be my second season of running these doors. I will say the uppers can be a total bitch to adjust properly, mine took a lot of manipulating the posts to make the upper get a good seal. I have found that if you bend the posts in a bit (so the uppers lean toward the jeep) it cuts down the flap a lot. Did your new doors cone with the stoppers for the posts, I bought mine used and they were missing would help a ton for getting a good seal.

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

Crew
post #25 of 26 Old 04-08-2011, 07:33 PM

Yeah, they do. Except the allen nut isn't tight out of the box so the first thing that happens is they fall off into the grass.

As you can see in the photo, the receptacle is offset by 1/8". You can bend all day and you won't be able to get the upper all the way down.

I was thinking of cutting most of the forward post off to get it to fit but decided for $500 it shouldn't need to be cut up.

Bob in Houston
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode