more FLEX ! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old 04-01-2011, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

more FLEX !

so bought the jeep a month ago and the stealership told me that the MOPAR lift is the only lift they will accept under warranty for the 3/5yrs, but about a week ago a JKO member told me that isnt true, so the stealership pretty much screwed me over so im stuck with it now, but anyways im trying to get more flex out of the lift, wondering if thiers any tinkering i could possibly do to get more flex. Thiers only like a inch of space between the bottom stop and top, any help is appreciated. THANKS!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 04-01-2011, 08:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Holy crap what a horrible install. TOO MUCH BUMPSTOP!

The Dealership here in Bakersfield does the same crap.
post #3 of 45 Old 04-01-2011, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Holy crap what a horrible install. TOO MUCH BUMPSTOP!

The Dealership here in Bakersfield does the same crap.
what i dont understand is the bottom stop suppose to be that big? i havent gotten a chance to look on a stock JK to see if its the same size and maybe the stealership just didnt install the one from the kit which in my opinion would be smaller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 Old 04-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Granite Guru

Dealership

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRubicon90 View Post
so bought the jeep a month ago and the stealership told me that the MOPAR lift is the only lift they will accept under warranty for the 3/5yrs, but about a week ago a JKO member told me that isnt true, so the stealership pretty much screwed me over so im stuck with it now, but anyways im trying to get more flex out of the lift, wondering if thiers any tinkering i could possibly do to get more flex. Thiers only like a inch of space between the bottom stop and top, any help is appreciated. THANKS!

Actually, I think it is left up to the dealerships if they want to warranty any lift kit. I called Mopar and they told me that any lift kit would void the drive train warranty. I then went to the dealer and talked to them about installing a Mopar lift. They told me and put it in writing, that if they did the install, they would warranty the work for 3 years or 36,000 miles.
post #5 of 45 Old 04-01-2011, 08:13 AM
Rock God

Garage

how the heck does that work? 1 inch of travel? that has to make driving over pebbles a biatch?!?

I LIVE, I RIDE, I DESTROY, ANYTHING I GET BEHIND THE WHEEL OF
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
But you either support your troops or you are shit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 45 Old 04-01-2011, 08:16 AM
Banned

Nah. No fucking way this ain't a joke.

Thought that thing was a coilover at first glance

post #7 of 45 Old 04-01-2011, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBTJ View Post
Actually, I think it is left up to the dealerships if they want to warranty any lift kit. I called Mopar and they told me that any lift kit would void the drive train warranty. I then went to the dealer and talked to them about installing a Mopar lift. They told me and put it in writing, that if they did the install, they would warranty the work for 3 years or 36,000 miles.
Thats the path i took due to im in college figuring save a couple of bucks, but in the long run i kinda got screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhrd4 View Post
how the heck does that work? 1 inch of travel? that has to make driving over pebbles a biatch?!?
surprizingly the ride isnt that bad but idk if that just me i went from a lifted truck to a jeep. Its like if i put one of my wheel on a speed bump im already maxed out !
post #8 of 45 Old 04-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Its like if i put one of my wheel on a speed bump im already maxed out !
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
Nah. No fucking way this ain't a joke.

I LIVE, I RIDE, I DESTROY, ANYTHING I GET BEHIND THE WHEEL OF
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
But you either support your troops or you are shit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 45 Old 04-01-2011, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

now if you go on quadratec and look at the 4" lift it looks like it shows a front bottom stop and that thier not using the i guess stock stop. i could be wrong that why im posting a thread figuring the suspension guys will throw in some advise
post #10 of 45 Old 04-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Wheeler

Worst install/lift EVER. That looks like something a prius driver would do....WTF?---Actually puked in my mouth a bit after seeing that.

And also: No way in F-$# would a lift void a "Drive Train (Axles, Driveshafts etc) warrenty, it would however void the warrenty on the suspension. This has been pounded to death. 90% of what the damn dealership says if so full of bullshit that it would make your head spin. If the dealership tried to axe your drive train warrenty--or even mentioned it--next call would be to corporate to have them axe their 5 star rating....
post #11 of 45 Old 04-01-2011, 08:41 AM
JKO Addict!

My thought would be dump that dealer find another one
And get a different lift/install..hell mabe even sell it back to em to recoupe some money lol...either way you shouldn't put up with that

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #12 of 45 Old 04-01-2011, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherride View Post
My thought would be dump that dealer find another one
And get a different lift/install..hell mabe even sell it back to em to recoupe some money lol...either way you shouldn't put up with that
yeahh im a little late for that bc thier just going to tell me we cant do anythign about it were here to sell jeeps and screw you over while doing it. Is thier any way i could shorter the upper bump stop or possibly make my own lower stop, i need at least some kind of use out of this lift bc my jeeps like a slut and just wants wants wants so now im in the hole as of right now
post #13 of 45 Old 04-01-2011, 08:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
yeahh im a little late for that bc thier just going to tell me we cant do anythign about it were here to sell jeeps and screw you over while doing it. Is thier any way i could shorter the upper bump stop or possibly make my own lower stop, i need at least some kind of use out of this lift bc my jeeps like a slut and just wants wants wants so now im in the hole as of right now
I do believe i would be taking a saw to those bump stops.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #14 of 45 Old 04-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Granite Guru

I hope this is an April fools joke.
post #15 of 45 Old 04-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Rock God

Anyone ever considered that the install was actually done correctly by the dealer?
The Mopar 4" kit replaces the front upper bump stop dampeners with a longer ones plus has the additional spacer installed on the bottom spring perches.
Now reading the OP and looking at the pics I would guess that the mention 1" is actually the gap between the dampener and the spacer and not the gap between the actual bump stop and the spacer. The dampener does compress so there will be more up travel then the mentioned 1".
post #16 of 45 Old 04-01-2011, 09:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee1669 View Post
I do believe i would be taking a saw to those bump stops.
They just bolt on, no need for a saw.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #17 of 45 Old 04-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamon Creel View Post
Anyone ever considered that the install was actually done correctly by the dealer?
The Mopar 4" kit replaces the front upper bump stop dampeners with a longer ones plus has the additional spacer installed on the bottom spring perches.
Now reading the OP and looking at the pics I would guess that the mention 1" is actually the gap between the dampener and the spacer and not the gap between the actual bump stop and the spacer. The dampener does compress so there will be more up travel then the mentioned 1".
If that is the "Correct" way to install a kit--then MOPAR is now making some pretty shitty kits.

Shame on mopar.
post #18 of 45 Old 04-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by henthorn View Post
If that is the "Correct" way to install a kit--then MOPAR is now making some pretty shitty kits.
Shame on mopar.
Not trying to defend Mopar here but why shitty? Because of the longer dampener?
Again the dampener is not the bump stop. The bone rattling "clunk" you get when hitting a bump too fast is metal against metal after the PU dampener is fully compressed.
The OP should disconnect, try fully flexing the front and report back how much up travel he gets.
post #19 of 45 Old 04-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Rock God

Garage

Obviously the bump stops are to large. Just pull out the bump stops, springs and keep your shocks connected. Cycle the suspension to determine the proper bump stop needed by jacking up the axle and stopping before the shocks bottom out and you smack the frame. Measure that distance and order a new bump stops. They probably put that large bump stop in for some insurance issue. Good luck. Did you ever ask them why they mounted such large bump stops? I'm curious what the respose would be.

W6FJK

post #20 of 45 Old 04-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamon Creel View Post
Not trying to defend Mopar here but why shitty? Because of the longer dampener?
Again the dampener is not the bump stop. The bone rattling "clunk" you get when hitting a bump too fast is metal against metal after the PU dampener is fully compressed.
The OP should disconnect, try fully flexing the front and report back how much up travel he gets.
Im going to need to hit my dealer friend up and see if this is actually a "damper"

If it is--then...weird design.

If its not then:

When have you EVER seen that large of a bump-stop for such a small lift? Hell, I'm running a RK Long arm and dont use that large of a bump stop.

Shocks are shocks, springs are springs, bumpstops are bumpstops...dampeners? What the hell? Since when the hell did they start using "dampeners" on a standard lift?
post #21 of 45 Old 04-01-2011, 10:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

See the shiney aluminum in there. Thats a bump stop spacer, and it's bolted to the spring perch on the axle. Take them out and either leave them off completely, or cycle the suspension and find out the proper length spacer you need. they probably just put the biggest one they had becasue the dealer didn't know any better. It's really not rocket science.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #22 of 45 Old 04-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Granite Guru

Whats even more interesting is that the Mopar kit is made by Rubicon Express....and we know where they are right now. We just removed a kit from a 4 door that was set up exactly like this from a dealer. About 1-1.5" of uptravel in the front. I guess its a good way to guarantee that the tires wont hit the fenders....

Thanks!!
Joe Daro
Absolute Offroad

07 JK Rubicon with a "few" Mods....and NO!, My ESP light IS NOT ON!
post #23 of 45 Old 04-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by henthorn View Post
I....... Since when the hell did they start using "dampeners" on a standard lift?
Not using, the Mopar kit is replacing the stock top dampener plus adding the lower bump stop spacer, the latter what's usually added by other kits only. Check the install instructions for more details.
Again the OP should flex and I'll bet there will be much more up travel then the 1" that are currently assumed.
post #24 of 45 Old 04-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrahawk View Post
See the shiney aluminum in there. Thats a bump stop spacer, and it's bolted to the spring perch on the axle. Take them out and either leave them off completely, or cycle the suspension and find out the proper length spacer you need. they probably just put the biggest one they had becasue the dealer didn't know any better. It's really not rocket science.
While you're at it, may want to check the length of those drag link ends - they look like stock ones - if they left the shorties up front, you sway bar won't be horizontal to your frame (or nearly horizontal) and as such - have fun with that...

2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod Lift : Bilstein 5100's Front & Back : Rock Krawler Discos : 35X12.5X17 Goodyear MTR/K's : 2" Rock Krawler Stackable Bumpstops F/R : ProComp 7089's 17x9 4.75BS : Poison Spyder Evap Skid : Poison Spyder Brawler Lite : Spiderwebshade - Trailmesh : Recon 10,500lb Winch : Olympic Rock Sliders : Hella Black Magic Lights

post #25 of 45 Old 04-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Rock God

To visualize a bit better

Hope the OP doesn't mind me modifying and posting his pic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode