rubicon front locker - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 03-31-2011, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

rubicon front locker

I was looking for some imput on the rubicon front locker. This is what i was thinking, I was going to buy a new Dyna trac pro rock 44 housing and just use my factory locker and then buy new RCV axles for it. However knowing that the factory locker is not all that strong I checked with the dealership today on the cost of a replacement locker and both dealerships quoted a price of $1899.00, With this in mind I am now thinking that I should go ahead and order the PR44 housing that takes the ARB 35 spline axle shafts. I know I probably should have just done this from the beginning but I was looking at saving some money on the locker. Any thoughts on this would be very helpfull.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-31-2011, 04:32 PM
Rock God

There is no advantage to ordering 35 RCV axles. They are only 35 spline for the last 5" of the shaft. It is just as strong as a standard 30 spline shaft.

We offer the ProRock 44 in 2 different center section configurations. One for the Rubi locker and one for a conventional differntial (Detroit, ARB, etc)

Many customers are considering the same thing with their PR44 housings. The standard Rubi locker is very expensive to replace, much more than an ARB, and replacement parts aren't available. Many customers are ordering their PR44 for a conventional differential and installing something other than the factory Rubi locker.
post #3 of 21 Old 03-31-2011, 04:37 PM
Granite Guru

Dynatrac Man,

I ask this because you are in the "Biz" and I am hoping you have some insight.

Seeing that the factory locker is so expensive and there are a lot of people who may need a replacement at some point, why is there no other option available for sale?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 03-31-2011, 05:03 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbass122 View Post
Dynatrac Man,

I ask this because you are in the "Biz" and I am hoping you have some insight.

Seeing that the factory locker is so expensive and there are a lot of people who may need a replacement at some point, why is there no other option available for sale?
There is another option in the works but it is, probably, a year away. This option, to remain unnamed, will allow use of the factory Rubi axles (unlike the ARB RD157 which requires special 35 sp shafts).
post #5 of 21 Old 03-31-2011, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

DynaTrac Man,
Maybe you can tell me what ARB will work in your housing. I did read that the 35 spline axles are not that much better than the 30's but I didn't know what locker to run in your housing. I just didn't want to spend $2000.00 for a new housing for my stock locker and then have the locker go bad and wish that I'd gone with one for the ARB
post #6 of 21 Old 03-31-2011, 07:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I am guessing they have more front lockers with problems so they raised the price The rear is still 900+ and you can get it for $619...The front lists for 1800 now and you can get it for 1200...they are NUTS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #7 of 21 Old 03-31-2011, 08:05 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynatrac View Post
There is another option in the works but it is, probably, a year away. This option, to remain unnamed, will allow use of the factory Rubi axles (unlike the ARB RD157 which requires special 35 sp shafts).
This is good news indeed. When I move to the PR 44 in time I would rather not replace things I already have until they actually break or there is a compelling reason.

Thanks for sharing...
post #8 of 21 Old 04-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbo943 View Post
However knowing that the factory locker is not all that strong I checked with the dealership today on the cost of a replacement locker and both dealerships quoted a price of $1899.00, :
Glad you posted. I was thinking about the PR44 housing and using all my rubi internals, but hadn't thought about what would happen if the stock locker died. Starting to get tired of weighing all the front axle options. Maybe I'll just wheel it until it explodes and then buy 60s
post #9 of 21 Old 04-03-2011, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

any new info on this?
post #10 of 21 Old 04-08-2011, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

You guys got nothin???
post #11 of 21 Old 05-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Anything to share on this front? Anything will do. For example would a person want to have on board air available for the yet to be unnamed option? Probably going to be a lot of people interested in this one for replacement and upgrade reasons.
post #12 of 21 Old 05-28-2011, 07:57 AM
Rock God

The new selectable locker will not be air operated. It will bolt in place of a Rubi locker and retain the factory axle shafts. Pricing should be similar to current ARB prices. I have no doubt that this will become a very popular part for the guys with Rubi lockers.
post #13 of 21 Old 05-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Granite Guru

I totally agree that this thing will do well.

I don't know when I will have the funds for my PR but having another option if my stock locker goes bad would be nice in itself. I just can't see me spending $1200 on something I don't have total confidence in. To date I have had no problems with my stock lockers but seen enough threads that if it went out I would not be totally surprised.

Thanks for the update.
post #14 of 21 Old 07-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Granite Guru

Dynatrac,

Been a couple months, just wondering if you have any new info to share on this still unnamed replacement for the factory e-locker?
post #15 of 21 Old 07-25-2011, 07:23 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbass122 View Post
Dynatrac,

Been a couple months, just wondering if you have any new info to share on this still unnamed replacement for the factory e-locker?
Nope, not yet. I spoke with my source last week and things are still moving along. I don't think there will be anything we can say until late this year.

BTW- A few weeks back I was told that there will be another locker to replace front and rear Rubi lockers too. It may be available earlier than the selectable unit I mentioned earlier.

Man, what a tease!!!
post #16 of 21 Old 07-25-2011, 11:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

A couple weeks ago on the Rubicon, out of about 20 or so JKs, 3 of them lost Rubi lockers. Not very confidence inspiring. Its good to know that options are being worked on.
post #17 of 21 Old 07-25-2011, 11:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Man, what a tease!!!
QTF!

You're like the woman that runs around at a topless beach and wonders why everyone is staring at them. LOL
post #18 of 21 Old 07-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Nope, not yet. I spoke with my source last week and things are still moving along. I don't think there will be anything we can say until late this year.

BTW- A few weeks back I was told that there will be another locker to replace front and rear Rubi lockers too. It may be available earlier than the selectable unit I mentioned earlier.

Man, what a tease!!!

Sweet. More options is mo better.
post #19 of 21 Old 07-30-2011, 05:25 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Praying for a Detroit that fits.
post #20 of 21 Old 06-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Its been a year and still no options availabe?

Jeeps...the cure for a heavy wallet.
post #21 of 21 Old 06-29-2012, 11:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You asking about this:

Ox Locker

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75828

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode