Bumpers, especially rear - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 12-17-2008, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Bumpers, especially rear

After my ooops on Saturday (see: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=21498 ), I'm thinking of replacing the rear bumper.
There are options that range from $200 cheap-o tube affairs to $1400 rock crawling units with swing-out jerrycan & tire holders...

My needs are in the middle. I want it to be sturdy enough to take a hit, allow for my RR hitch that's already mounted or have a good receiver integrated, and have recovery points.

The Mopar unit looks nice and is a little over $500. And there's Rampage...
Feature for feature, the Rampage looks ideal. But, you need to ask, why is it so affordable?
Same goes for the front one. Are the other manufacturers out of their minds or is Rampage cut-rate?
Click the pics for webpages.

Safety fast,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Get to know
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Rock God

I don't know that I'd purchase a bumper based on expecting to "take a hit", but I do like the look and price of the Mopar rear bumper. You can also usually find cheap or free replacement stock bumpers. And if you are expecting to take another hit, free is golden.

Colorado Mountains = Land of Mountain Trails

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13

'08 JK Sahara, Jeep Green, BFG MT's, Pro Comp 4" Lift, Smittybuilt XRC8 Winch, Olympic BOA front & Olympic Defender rear bumpers, Olympic A/T Slider Rails, Spidertrax Spacers, SeatGlover Seat Covers, Bestop TrekTop, Husky Mats, Midland 75-822 CB, Magellan Maestro 3250.
post #3 of 21 Old 12-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to vegasjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorsteve View Post
I don't know that I'd purchase a bumper based on expecting to "take a hit", but I do like the look and price of the Mopar rear bumper. You can also usually find cheap or free replacement stock bumpers. And if you are expecting to take another hit, free is golden.
until the hit smashes the plastic bumper up in to the sheet metal and that hit damages a whole lot more then the crappy stock plastic bumper.

08 Rubicon Unlimited-Just about stock!
I'll keep my guns, my freedom, and my money... You keep "The Change"!
Ask me about SH!TTY companies like Full Traction, Pure Jeep, and others!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 12-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

Rooster was running a rampage bumper and it looks very beefy and well made. Not sure if he had any issue with it but you could pm him and ask.

IMO a lot of companies out there are getting the first run big bucks... and I know steel costs had gone up quite a bit, but ... the older model (tj, etc.) almost equal parts are much cheaper. I know R&D costs...blah blah blah...

I have the LoD and am quite happy. Red Rock Fab would have been my next choice.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
post #5 of 21 Old 12-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Granite Guru

Made in the USA matters to me.

Many of the more expensive bumpers are made in the USA.
This is more expensive, do your research if you care about our country.

Jeremiah
Sierra Explorers
post #6 of 21 Old 12-27-2008, 07:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Very happy with my Rockhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #7 of 21 Old 12-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to vegasjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraexplorers View Post
Many of the more expensive bumpers are made in the USA.
This is more expensive, do your research if you care about our country.
and usually mount up better with no modifications, made of better steel, fit better, look better, function better,

08 Rubicon Unlimited-Just about stock!
I'll keep my guns, my freedom, and my money... You keep "The Change"!
Ask me about SH!TTY companies like Full Traction, Pure Jeep, and others!
post #8 of 21 Old 12-29-2008, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfj aka tambil View Post
I have the LoD and am quite happy. Red Rock Fab would have been my next choice.
The Red Rock Fab is very nice and is starting to pull ahead.

Especially since somebody dinged my front bumper in Myakka State Park over the Christmas camping trip....

Oh well, we'll see what my Sweetie lets me buy myself for my birthday.

Safety fast,

Get to know
post #9 of 21 Old 12-29-2008, 08:16 AM
Wheeler

FYI, we are now shipping the XHD Rear.
post #10 of 21 Old 12-29-2008, 10:15 AM
Rock God

Have you looked at the Smittybilt XRC rear bumper? i like them.

Kevin M.
2008 JK Sahara Unlimited, 3.8L, 3.5" Rubicon Express lift with (5) 35/70R17s' BFG KM2s' on Pro Comp Xtreme Alloys 7069 Series, Red Rock, Crystal Pearl, Galaxy CB Radio, Hella FF lights, Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers, Xenon Flat Fenders, 12K Mile Marker winch, front and rear Rugged Ridge diff guards, Mopar slush mats, and Vision X led rock lights, IPF 920H4 JK Headlights, Superchips flashpac, River Raider rock sliders, front/rear Coast 1310 driveshafts

post #11 of 21 Old 12-29-2008, 01:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Well I can vouch for the front!! I LOVE my Rampage bumper. The quality is awesome, the design and fit was awesome and Ive been mudding and rock krawling in mine with no problems what so ever. I can tell you a couple of things to consider.
1) behind the bumper there are a couple of places that hold water so a small hole drilled in the bottom so it will drain is in order.
2) With my sway bar disconnected and under HEAVY FLEX (Ive got a 6.5" lift and 1" body lift) with 35's my tires rub the back side of the bumper while turning. Not real bad but it does sometimes.
3) If you want to use your factory fogs you will need to fab a bracket. I opted to buy their fogs because they are glass 55 watt Volvo units and fit in the holes.
4) If you decide to go with rock fenders the bumper wont match up. It comes to the edge of the stock fenders. Im adding rock fenders and will be cutting the edges of my bumper off to make it match better
5) I dont have the rear bumper yet but Im still considering it. The pnly reason I havent pulled the trigger yet is because it has no tire carrier like on the TJ models. I dont think it would be a big deal to add anoher MFR's though.

Again, the bumper is SOLID and a very good buy. It even comes with a winch plate and shackles.

Last edited by rooster; 12-29-2008 at 01:17 PM.
post #12 of 21 Old 12-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

[QUOTE=Hilldweller;65110]After my ooops on Saturday (see: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=21498 ), I'm thinking of replacing the rear bumper.
There are options that range from $200 cheap-o tube affairs to $1400 rock crawling units with swing-out jerrycan & tire holders...

My needs are in the middle. I want it to be sturdy enough to take a hit, allow for my RR hitch that's already mounted or have a good receiver integrated, and have recovery points.

The Mopar unit looks nice and is a little over $500. And there's Rampage...
Feature for feature, the Rampage looks ideal. But, you need to ask, why is it so affordable?

I have the Mopar offroad rear bumper with tire carrier and I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND at any price. Even though it may look good with Jeep logo (reason I got it) I can tell you that when offroadingtire carrier often opens and swings loose. Seems the design for locking tire carrier in place is not very good! I often have to tie it up with tie straps to keep it from openning while offroading! Definately not worth the price!

2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Sahara 4dr
35" X 13.50" Mickey Thompson A/T
20" Chrome Metal Moto Wheels
Rock Krawler 5.5" Triple-threat Suspension
Fox Steering Stabilizer
Tom Woods 1310 front & rear custom drive shafts.
ARB Bull Front Bumper w/Smittybuilt winch
Moper Off Road Rear Bumper w/tire carrier
Mopar Trail Guide GPS
75 WX ST Cobra CB Radio

Member: Everglades Jeeps & 4X4
post #13 of 21 Old 12-31-2008, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

good info...

I still like the Rampage products and Red Rock Fab. The Mopar rear might still work for me since I don't plan to add a tire carrier...?
I like the way Red Rock has provision for a rear winch... ...but I'm not sure I'd ever scrape the funding together to mount one...

Safety fast,

Get to know
post #14 of 21 Old 12-31-2008, 10:39 AM
Rock God

Have you checked out ExpeditionOne's rear bumper? Its definately the one I'm going with when the time comes. Not only does it look pretty good (atleast to me), but the tire carrier also opens with your tailgate. I did hear of one guy having a problem with his, apparently the bearing races were never installed in the hinge of the tire carrier from the factory, but I'm sure that was just a fluke deal.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #15 of 21 Old 03-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Rebel View Post
I just found them in my search

Think thats what Im going with for about $500

nah nah nah nah nah nah, I made you eat your parents - E.Cartman
post #16 of 21 Old 03-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Rebel View Post
X2... Front and Back are nice and the price is right.

American, Gun owning, God fear'n, Veteran, and I'm offended that you're offended.
post #17 of 21 Old 03-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Rock God

I am looking for a rear bumper as well for some protection... So many options but I have to admit the Rugged Ridge looks good from the stand point that I could bolt on a tire carrier later if wanted.

There is someone on craigslist selling their highrock rear bumper, d-rings and roller fairlead for like $350 (i think he posted on here too)

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum

Last edited by Bigjerm; 03-27-2009 at 08:07 PM.
post #18 of 21 Old 03-31-2009, 04:41 PM
Granite Guru

i like them all

2012 Sahara Tan Unlimited Rubicon
post #19 of 21 Old 04-01-2009, 08:10 AM
Granite Guru

Keep in mind you get what you pay for.The Hanson bumpers are the top of the food chain so if you want the best you'll have to pay a little more and when you get it you'll be happier then a dog with two d***s and then you won't have to complain on the web about how wrong products rattle or shake going down the trial.
PS the factory fogs fit in the Hanson

KMA Fabrication

559-493-8314
Build it right or Kiss My Axle
post #20 of 21 Old 04-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaRShiN View Post
I just found them in my search

Think thats what Im going with for about $500

Made in China

2008 Stone White 2DR X
Cutsom TJ front 2" springs with 2 spacers
Teraflex rear 3" 4dr. springs heated so they actually sit 3" on my 2dr
Custom rear shock mounts
285x75 R16 Treadwright MTRs Yeah they rock soon to be 315x70 R16
Xenon Narrow Flares
Woods Steering Stabilzer Bracket
Teraflex rear driveline
Mopar Frt bumper made Stubby
KC Slimlites
Bikini Top
Custom exhaust - Flowmaster single chamber with Woods tail pipe
Lots of Beer Consumption
post #21 of 21 Old 04-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Rock God

ehh, so is Mile Marker and Im sure my cell phone, ipod and most if not all of the electronics in my house. Honestly it would be extremely hard to ONLY buy made in america. At least I bought it from an american?

nah nah nah nah nah nah, I made you eat your parents - E.Cartman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode