How long did your serpentine belt last? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By GregD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 03-29-2011, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

How long did your serpentine belt last?

I have almost 50K. I have almost always replaced my belts every 30K or so, but I have also never had a domestic automobile before, and never had anything brand new before either, except motorcycles.

Anyone have a JK belt fail? How many miles?

2008 JKU Rubicon
TerraFlex 4" coils
Fox 2.0's
Smitty SRC Bumper
Smitty XRC Winch
Hella Rally 4000's
Hella H4 Headlight conversion
K&N CAI
Diablo In Tune
Ripp Headers
American Racing Mojave 17x8
Cooper AT3 315/70/17

140K pretty much trouble free miles despite the constant abuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-30-2011, 12:16 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor

I'd say around 20k-30k. but mostly due to the PSC power steering pump. it was mis-aligned. When it went the 2nd time I was in Daytona last year for Jeep Beach. The dealer took care of it and installed a small spacer to line everything up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:

Magazine Feature:

post #3 of 20 Old 03-30-2011, 03:00 AM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to armedsks
belt

Dont think it says anything about belt replacement in my manual. Id change it reguardless after 5yr/60k

Give it a check over every 6 months or so. Check for cracks, nothing like being stranded or overheated over a 25$ belt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 03-30-2011, 03:28 AM
Rock God

Garage

Just replaced it at 60
It's not toast but the psc pump is pretty hard on it
Always a good idea to carry a spare

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #5 of 20 Old 03-30-2011, 04:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

51k so far , still looks good.
my wifes car has 95k on the orginal belt and orginal batt to, guess when you dont wheel stuff it last longer?

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #6 of 20 Old 03-30-2011, 04:33 AM
Rock God

Garage

I'd agree with most everybody else. I replace my belts at 50K and keep them as spares. Maybe overkill but who wants to break down cause of a belt or a hose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

post #7 of 20 Old 03-30-2011, 06:52 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I was forced to replace mine at about 60,000 because my idler pully failed. I was on my way home from the Crawl for a Cure at RC when the pully failed.
It was after 5pm and there where no parts places open near where we were on Rte 78.
I now carry two spare idler pullies (one for the idler and one for the tensioner) and a spare belt.

07 Rubi rescue Green
"The previous explanation is based on my historically bad memory of a conglomeration of past experiences and conversations. The opinions above probably have some kernel of truth to them but the details are most likely flawed on some level. Please acquire further help from experts before listening to anything I say."
post #8 of 20 Old 03-30-2011, 06:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

87k and still going strong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
I'd agree with most everybody else. I replace my belts at 50K and keep them as spares. Maybe overkill but who wants to break down cause of a belt or a hose?
very good point and the spare won't take up much space either.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-30-2011, 07:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Lost my stock one right after PSC pump install. then got everything somewhat aligned. I have thrown a couple of belts driving in extremely wet/muddy conditions. I carry 2 spare belts.
post #10 of 20 Old 03-30-2011, 07:54 AM
Wheeler

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to heepenjim

96k still on the same belt.
post #11 of 20 Old 03-30-2011, 08:33 AM
Granite Guru

60k stock belt. I need to replace my idler pulley though and probably will do the belt at the same time.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
A few mods here and there
post #12 of 20 Old 03-30-2011, 08:59 AM
Granite Guru

my tensioner pulley was going (bearings worn) and cause my belt to wear prematurely, the dealer came good on the pulley but not the belt, I later found out from another class A mechanic that I coulda forced them to replace the belt too as it was the pulley that caused it to wear, but it wasnt that much for the belt

just a bit of info for you guys to be armed with if you go this route

Blacked out 07 JKUR, safari straps, Treadwright 35's on stock rims and Spydertrax spacers, stubbied front bumper, trimmed flares, 2" body lift, 2" spacers in front with 1" spacers in rear, Gen Right Tire carrier, more to come!
post #13 of 20 Old 03-30-2011, 09:12 AM
Rock God

mine was looking cracked up..around 22 k but i have a supercharger.. not sure if that made a difference ..
post #14 of 20 Old 03-30-2011, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Mine looks pretty good for 50,000, but I don't trust it and will buy a new one since I am giving the Jeep a 50K service. I don't like to keep old belts as spares. Once they have been used and heat cycled they will deteriorate very quickly even just sitting. If I need to take a spare, I will just buy one to take.

2008 JKU Rubicon
TerraFlex 4" coils
Fox 2.0's
Smitty SRC Bumper
Smitty XRC Winch
Hella Rally 4000's
Hella H4 Headlight conversion
K&N CAI
Diablo In Tune
Ripp Headers
American Racing Mojave 17x8
Cooper AT3 315/70/17

140K pretty much trouble free miles despite the constant abuse.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-30-2011, 04:27 PM
Rock God

Garage

Here's mine that left the Jeep around Johnstown, PA on a Friday afternoon heading home 4 hours away. I was around 24K.
When I got to the local dealership, they had to order one in and the pulley that melted. I would have been there till the next Tuesday waiting on warranty parts. Napa had the belt and a pulley, but since they were not Jeep, I had to install them in their parking lot.

A big thanks went out to Tkob and NJJK08 for the part numbers for Napa.
Attached Images

2007 Wrangler 2dr X
post #16 of 20 Old 06-16-2018, 03:34 PM
Wheeler

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd add my experience. I have a 2009 4dr Rubicon with 117k on it. I've checked the belt at regular intervals, and it still seems fine. In the owner's manual under maintenance schedules, it shows to replace the serpentine belt at 120,000 miles, so that's when I plan to replace it. Also, the belt manufacturers recommend replacing the tensioner and the idler pulleys at the same time, and after 9+ years and 120k miles, that seems like a good idea to me. I'm pretty impressed with the serpentine belt system durability on my Jeep, and unless you have some sort of problem, I don't think there's a need to change the belt earlier than every 120k.
EricinUtah likes this.
post #17 of 20 Old 07-14-2018, 05:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Being the overly cautious type I suppose, serp belt replacement is part of the 30k maintenance routine on my '09 JKUR. I carry one of the old ones in my trail spares, along with replacement tensioner and idler. JK now has about 72k on the odo. No worries.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #18 of 20 Old 07-14-2018, 11:36 AM
Rock God

Garage

Mine is 6 yrs old, around 66k and I just replaced the belt about a month ago. Been carrying a new one in the back since about 40k just in case. Old one was still plenty good enough to keep for a trail spare, but with the heat in the central valley of CA, I was getting uncomfortable with it being on there.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #19 of 20 Old 07-14-2018, 10:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

2008 with 70k-ish and a squeaky idler pulley I hit with silicone spray every few months and it’s still good.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #20 of 20 Old 07-15-2018, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

i have an ‘11 Unlimited that I check everything weekly on. It just hit 90k and the serpentine belt looks new+ hasn’t stretched. I have a replacement griptied to firewall behind the battery. I used to zip tie it to sportsbar as it was since first week I bought the jeep. Same on my other Jeeps.

Jeffery’s tip : when giving a belt the once-over ,don’t just check for edge fraying or stretching or nicks/cuts on drivebelts; find one of the pulleys which have the grooves facing outward ( or run your hand along grooves underside of belt while bending it a little) then run fingers across the expanded, taught grooves to feel for gaps or cracks in those grooves strips since they tend to be where belts that have dry cracked or are upward in years are gonna be likely to break.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode