need advice on tires/rims - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-29-2011, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

need advice on tires/rims

Hi all. Im fairly new to the forum and am absolutely loving it!! Thanks much so far. I do have a question tho. I've read thru many threads on tire/rims and picked up some good pointers, but am still a little unsure what I wanna do. Right now im sitting on stock Sahara rims and tires. Obviously I wanna upgrade. I love the look of beefyass tires and sweet rims, but have no offroad experience yet. I would love to get into it a bit, but nothing extreme as she's my daily driver and I can't afford to break stuff that I can't afford to fix at this point. So for lite offroad, but beefy looks do ya think 35s would be my best bet? I have someone from the forum who offered me a 2.5" lift for free when he installs a new one. Would that be a good fit? Also would upgraded tires look halfass on the stock rims (to keep cost down), tho I think the 18" rims, kinda big right? I also thought it might be smart to find nice used rims w/ ok tires on them, then I could worry about payin for better tires down the road. Stretch the expense out a bit, ya know. Last thing, will a 35 be ok on stock spare carrier? Sorry for the list of ?s, but feeling a bit overwhelmed right now. Thanks for any input guys...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-30-2011, 12:25 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor

17" wheels have more tire options plus cheaper prices than 18" wheels.

35" tires would be fine with the sahara and light wheeling. just some minor trimming on the pinch seams and either flat fenders, trim stock fenders (most wont when they have a Sahara), or extend the bumpstops half an inch or a full inch.

the bumpstop extention would be the cheapest and easiest route. you dont really need a 2.5" suspension lift to fit 35" tires. plus the JKs look great with 35" tires and no suspension lift.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:

Magazine Feature:

post #3 of 10 Old 03-30-2011, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks Liquor, for info so far, but.... one thing is I don't really want to have to change gearing or extend things, etc. Just put new rims and tires on and go. Would 35s still be a safe bet? Also, I read a few posts that reccomend 2.5 lift w 35s, is it just a preference? Also big news question here... what are bumpstops and how do u change them? Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-30-2011, 12:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep#4 View Post
Thanks Liquor, for info so far, but.... one thing is I don't really want to have to change gearing or extend things, etc. Just put new rims and tires on and go. Would 35s still be a safe bet? Also, I read a few posts that reccomend 2.5 lift w 35s, is it just a preference? Also big news question here... what are bumpstops and how do u change them? Thanks again
You will want to regear if your 3:73
Or lose mpg"s oh and your overdrive...you could just get a programer and you could be ok..really depends on how heavy a wheel/tire you go with..at the very least recalibrate you speedometer

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites

Last edited by nootherride; 03-30-2011 at 12:57 AM.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-30-2011, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Whats the biggest I can go without needing to rehear?
post #6 of 10 Old 03-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Rock God

Biggest at a SAFE bet w/o regearing is 35's.

I drive an excess of 100 miles a day and I'm running a 3.25" Rough Country lift and 35" Goodyear MT-Rs w/ Kevlar. I've done snow, rain, and hot/cold pavement without a single issue. The treadwear is pretty decent and the price is an easy $280 per tire on the wallet.

Rough Country's lifts are VERY well priced and it sounds like it would be right up your alley. As for wheels... You could stay with the stock ones, but I'd get a set of PROCOMP or AEV wheels. They'll withstand a better beating than any cheaper options. I'm selling my stock wheels from my Rubicon (same ones on the Sahara I believe) If you're looking for an extra set for offroad, beat the hell out of the stuff options.

Hope this helps.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Banned

I don't think the Sahara rims look all that bad with my tires. Running 275/70R18 Duratracs on my stock rims, which is essentially a 33" tire - I do want to paint them black at some point this summer though.

I also installed the RK 2.5" Stock Mod kit with a few additions:

BEFORE

AFTER:

post #8 of 10 Old 03-30-2011, 01:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
I don't think the Sahara rims look all that bad with my tires. Running 275/70R18 Duratracs on my stock rims, which is essentially a 33" tire - I do want to paint them black at some point this summer though.

I also installed the RK 2.5" Stock Mod kit with a few additions:

BEFORE

AFTER:
Like the lift Dan I hadn't seen pics yet. Glad you got it installed.

/hijack

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #9 of 10 Old 03-30-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for all the advice guys, ya gave me a lot to consider. Dan yer ride does look nice!
post #10 of 10 Old 03-31-2011, 05:29 AM
Rock God

More than welcome buddy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode