Possibly stupid newb recovery question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Send a message via Yahoo to dazole
Possibly stupid newb recovery question

I was at an event over the weekend and could have had the opportunity to pull someone out of a jam they got in. We were in a dirt parking lot, and this pretty hot chick in a F150 had managed to dig her driver's side front tire literally 1/2 way into the ground. Don't ask, I have no idea how she did it.

I have a 2 door 2007 JK, with factory tow hooks up front, stock bumper in front and rear, no winch. I also have no tow/recovery straps. I have no towing setup in the rear. So, my question:

Which should I have used, assuming I had both, recovery strap or towing strap?

How exactly would I have hooked it up to my jeep? Front tow hooks?

Where/How would I have hooked it up to her truck, assuming she had no tow hooks, etc?

This has been bugging me since it happened, and I definitely want to be prepared next time

Gratz in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 04:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazole View Post
I was at an event over the weekend and could have had the opportunity to pull someone out of a jam they got in. We were in a dirt parking lot, and this pretty hot chick in a F150 had managed to dig her driver's side front tire literally 1/2 way into the ground. Don't ask, I have no idea how she did it.

I have a 2 door 2007 JK, with factory tow hooks up front, stock bumper in front and rear, no winch. I also have no tow/recovery straps. I have no towing setup in the rear. So, my question:

Which should I have used, assuming I had both, recovery strap or towing strap?

How exactly would I have hooked it up to my jeep? Front tow hooks?

Where/How would I have hooked it up to her truck, assuming she had no tow hooks, etc?

This has been bugging me since it happened, and I definitely want to be prepared next time

Gratz in advance!
1) Recovery strap. Made for recovering stuck vehicles

2) Rear hook. The gears in your axles are made to have maximum strength when the vehicle is going forward.

3) If no tow hooks, you could have pulled her out from behind by attaching to the tow receiver with a hitch pin and pull while she drives in reverse. If no tow package, you could wrap the strap around her rear axle and pull from behind - just be mindful that this may cause damage to her truck and you will only do it if that is what she wants.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 04:46 PM
JKowners Vendor

Pix of said hot girl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 05:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by REBEL OFFROAD View Post
Pix of said hot girl.
X2.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #5 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 05:50 PM
JKO Addict!

a tow strap will work fine for a solid pull. You need a recovery or "snatch" strap if you have to give her a "pop" to get her out (if you were on pavement you shouldn't need to)

whenever possible avoid pulling in reverse. it puts a lot of stress on your weakest (front) axle, which is also high pinion and weaker in reverse. if you have a hitch and no tow hook in the rear either buy a D ring mount for the hitch or just slide the strap into the reciever and put a hitch pin through the loop.

for her truck, if there's no tow hooks again, hitch, or you can use a tree saver and loop through the front lower A arm. if in the rear you can always hook the axle. That really comes down to a judgement call though.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #6 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 05:55 PM
Wheeler

a tow strap will work fine for a solid pull. You need a recovery or "snatch" strap if you have to give her a "pop"

Just friggin love it ....

Last edited by Bugsy; 03-29-2011 at 05:57 PM.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 06:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
a tow strap will work fine for a solid pull. You need a recovery or "snatch" strap if you have to give her a "pop"

Just friggin love it ....
hehehehe

post #8 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 06:45 PM
JKO Addict!

If no tow package, you could wrap the strap around her and pull from behind - just be mindful that this may cause damage to her rear and you will only do it if that is what she wants.[/QUOTE]

Fixed #3....

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #9 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Send a message via Yahoo to dazole

Hahahahahahaha! That was some awesome stuff, lol!

Butt (see what I did there) to bring it back on topic: Basically, until I get some sort of towing setup on my rear bumper, I shouldn't be doing any kind of recovery, right?

"snatch strap", "pop", "damage to her rear"
post #10 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 07:29 PM
JKO Addict!

First thing u need is the strap cause without that the rest is mute. Do u have the rear hook on ur jeep? I have one out in the garage somewhere u are welcome to if u want it. Might make sense to just pick up a hitch as there are always some in the FS section. Worst case offer her a ride and "run out of gas" since we get such good gas mileage!!

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #11 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fklein6768 View Post
First thing u need is the strap cause without that the rest is mute. Do u have the rear hook on ur jeep? I have one out in the garage somewhere u are welcome to if u want it. Might make sense to just pick up a hitch as there are always some in the FS section. Worst case offer her a ride and "run out of gas" since we get such good gas mileage!!

It's a silent movie?

post #12 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 07:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazole View Post
Hahahahahahaha! That was some awesome stuff, lol!

Butt (see what I did there) to bring it back on topic: Basically, until I get some sort of towing setup on my rear bumper, I shouldn't be doing any kind of recovery, right?

"snatch strap", "pop", "damage to her rear"
do you need a rear tow hook? i have 2 sitting here. you can have one if you pay shipping

post #13 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Granite Guru

No question regarding recovery is stupid. Recovery operations are inherently dangerous and usually the danger is unpredictable.

Tow strap or recovery strap... Don't go by what the package says it is. Find out what its made from. A tow strap will be made from either nylon or polyester. A recovery strap should be made from nylon only. But some recovery straps are labeled as such, but are polyester.

You can tow with a recovery strap, but performing a yank with a tow strap can get quite harsh. You want stretch in your recovery strap to transfer the energy smoothly from one rig to the next. This is accomplished using nylon.

Things like tree straps should be made from polyester, since poly has a lower overall percentage of elongation. (fancy talk for stretch)

In short.. Ignore what the package says it is, find out what its made from. Poly for static pulls, nylon for dynamic pulls.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

member AO128
post #14 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Granite Guru

I am also a noob ...is there any benefit to going to a strap with a 24,000 lb limit rather than a 17,600? (im lookin at the ARB's). It will mostly be used for wranglers and cherokees but trucks every so often.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-30-2011, 12:30 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor

17,600 would be fine. 24,000 is for big loads and really wont be used to its full potential tugging Jeeps around.

• Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:

Magazine Feature:

post #16 of 17 Old 03-30-2011, 01:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
do you need a rear tow hook? i have 2 sitting here. you can have one if you pay shipping
I wouldn't mind having one...is it the one that goes where the hitch mounts or the side? I have a hitch but would pay shipping for a side mounted tow hook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
yeah...I decided to go and finish on the tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
post #17 of 17 Old 03-30-2011, 02:28 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 Jk View Post
I am also a noob ...is there any benefit to going to a strap with a 24,000 lb limit rather than a 17,600? (im lookin at the ARB's). It will mostly be used for wranglers and cherokees but trucks every so often.
In order to get the full kinetic benefits of a recovery strap, you want to stay pretty close to 4 times the weight of your rig. To big of a strap and you wont get the stretch you need to make it effective. To small and it will break. Your recovery gear should be sized to handle your rig. If youre hooking up to someone else, scope out their gear first and see if its safe to use. If someone is hooking up to your, use your gear.

member AO128
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode