Towing a TJ with a 4 door JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 03-28-2011, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Towing a TJ with a 4 door JK

Anyone ever tow a TJ with a tow bar with their 4 door JK? Going on a trip this summer and thinking about towing the tj behind the jk so my wife will have a jeep there too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 03-28-2011, 03:35 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

oh you did it now.....better hold on for the ride of your life about unsafe towing!!!

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 40 Old 03-28-2011, 04:25 AM
Granite Guru

I did it 2 weeks ago, I went from Fort Lauderdale to Ocala. I had no problems what so ever!!! but here is a few thigns I would recomend and won't recomend
1-. Make sure tow bar is completly flat and even with the hitch
2-. Make sure the TJ's tires are balance (you don't want a dead wobble)
3-. Do not get confortable with speed (Even if everything is going ok keep it under 70)
4-. I wouldn't do it on a drive with lots of hills unless you have a brake body or any of those devices that allow you to brake the jeep you are towing
5-. Have fun and be safe

Gus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 JK Sahara 4" of lift, 2" BL, 37" M16's , rancho rear bumper, EVO C gussets and skids, PSC Evap Skid, SB Bumper w/stinger, 10000LB SB Winch, Aussie locker on front and a lot of spare axle shafts lol
CONFIDENCE is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 03-28-2011, 07:30 AM

Garage

Seems unsafe to me. You're talking about 4400 lbs of TJ and 2000 lbs of trailer. There's 1/2 ton pickups that barely rate for towing that much weight.

Sure you can do it but if you have to make a driving adjustment (them drivers out there are crazy), that much weight will throw your JK around like a ragdoll.

Not to mention that, if you even see a hill, you'll drop 20 mph with the 3.7 liter V6.

And that's only short term consequences. Do you like your JK? Do you want to keep 'er happy for awhile? Then don't make 'er lug 6500 lbs of weight!

Anyway - if you decide to do it anyway, good luck!

Reconnect to the land: Rompalicious
|
|
|
| ... and more.
post #5 of 40 Old 03-28-2011, 07:36 AM
JKO Addict!

If the tj is stock than you can probably do it... I wouldn't but that's just me. Mostly due to the 3.8 and weak brakes... If the tj is lifted on big tires you're better off not pulling it. I flat towed my willies on 36" tsls and it was actually more stressful on the tow rig than when it was on the trailer. It was easier to pull the extra 2200 lbs of the trailer than pull the jeep on the aggressive tires... And that jeep had lockouts on all 4 wheels!

Romp: he's not talking about trailering.

If you have an auto make sure you have a bigger trans cooler, cause its gonna be working hard

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #6 of 40 Old 03-28-2011, 07:37 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rompalicious 4x4 View Post
Seems unsafe to me. You're talking about 4400 lbs of TJ and 2000 lbs of trailer. There's 1/2 ton pickups that barely rate for towing that much weight.
Hmmm Who said anything about a trailer??

2008 JK Sahara 4" of lift, 2" BL, 37" M16's , rancho rear bumper, EVO C gussets and skids, PSC Evap Skid, SB Bumper w/stinger, 10000LB SB Winch, Aussie locker on front and a lot of spare axle shafts lol
post #7 of 40 Old 03-28-2011, 08:03 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
Romp: he's not talking about trailering.
Whoops - you know what you are when you assume

Still... that's a lot of weight to be pulling along with a Jk...

Reconnect to the land: Rompalicious
|
|
|
| ... and more.
post #8 of 40 Old 03-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Granite Guru

I used to flat tow a YJ with a V8 ZJ. It would go OK, but stopping was scary and it would push the ZJ around a lot.

I don't think the 3.8 would be happy. And when the trans fails later on, you will wonder if this trip took some life out of it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
post #9 of 40 Old 03-28-2011, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

probly shoulda stated, I have an auto with large tranny cooler i installed and the tj is a bone stock 2.5, aside from front bumper and it has 145/70 tires on it, I guess she can just drive it, just thought it would be nice to be in the same vehicle, lol

Last edited by djkbooth; 03-28-2011 at 08:43 AM.
post #10 of 40 Old 03-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkbooth View Post
probly shoulda stated, I have an auto with large tranny cooler i installed and the tj is a bone stock 2.5, aside from front bumper and it has 145/70 tires on it, I guess she can just drive it, just thought it would be nice to be in the same vehicle, lol
you'll be fine!!

Gus

post #11 of 40 Old 03-28-2011, 09:56 AM
JKO Addict!

I think you'll be ok too. Tcase in neutral and like 40 psi in te tires and it should be fine. It wont like hills but it should get you there...

post #12 of 40 Old 03-28-2011, 10:44 AM
JPK
Rock God

I've towed my LJ behind my Suburban quite a bit. The LJ will push the Suburban around on freeway curves, the tighter the curve the more push, the more speed the more push. So, keep the speed down and anticipate any up coming curves and slow down for them and you'll be fine. Make sure you leave the key in the ignition in the TJ and the key turned enough to unlock the steering column.

I'd try it on a tial run before heading out, but if your wife is in the JK and you don't feel comfortable, she can always drive the TJ.

BTW, I read comments about the poor or weak brakes on the JK's but my own experiences show no issues. The brakes are just fine in my opion and experience.

JPK
post #13 of 40 Old 03-28-2011, 11:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPK View Post
I've towed my LJ behind my Suburban quite a bit. The LJ will push the Suburban around on freeway curves, the tighter the curve the more push, the more speed the more push. So, keep the speed down and anticipate any up coming curves and slow down for them and you'll be fine. Make sure you leave the key in the ignition in the TJ and the key turned enough to unlock the steering column.

I'd try it on a tial run before heading out, but if your wife is in the JK and you don't feel comfortable, she can always drive the TJ.

BTW, I read comments about the poor or weak brakes on the JK's but my own experiences show no issues. The brakes are just fine in my opion and experience.

JPK
Have you tried to stop 4000 lbs of dead weight with them? I had my 2300lb trailer behind my brothers 4 door and I noticed a bigger difference than I expected in braking performance...

post #14 of 40 Old 03-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

take the JK and leave the TJ at home. the money you save of the cost of gas towing the TJ you can use to rent a jeep. I towed a 68 Bronco from El Paso to New Orleans with a suburban. pushed me all over and any head/tail/cross winds made for a very stressful drive. my .02. have fun on vacation.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #15 of 40 Old 03-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Pull the tj if you want, who am i to say its unsafe. I would think you can do it. Bring plenty gas money.

I pulled my jk from my house to katemcy with my gas chevy 1500. I hated it. It was straining the whole time and burned gas like a mofo. Ill use one of the diesel trucks from now on.

corey d
2008 JEEP...

Last edited by STUPIDFACE; 03-29-2011 at 06:23 AM.
post #16 of 40 Old 03-28-2011, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

even my f250 and 1500 ram stops different with a 20ft bassboat behind it every weekend!
I totally understand its not gonna handle like normal conditions and stop on a dime, nor will any tow vihicle at that matter, one plus with a tow bar you dont have the tongue weight down on the ass end like a regular trailer,good deal on the tow setup for the tj is only 68 bucks, might just get it and see how things handle around home first, I have blown more money than that on dumber shit i can tell ya that!

thanks guys
post #17 of 40 Old 03-28-2011, 02:07 PM

You might be OK, but you definately need auxillary braking, Brake Buddy or similar. I tow the JK behind a 40,000 motorhome with 3 axles of braking and can tell a difference with or without the Buddy..... It only takes one emergency braking situation to realize the vehicle brakes are not enough!!!
post #18 of 40 Old 03-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

The TJ swb only weighs 3300lbs so it can def be flat towed behind a 4 dr JK.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #19 of 40 Old 03-28-2011, 09:22 PM
JPK
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
Have you tried to stop 4000 lbs of dead weight with them? I had my 2300lb trailer behind my brothers 4 door and I noticed a bigger difference than I expected in braking performance...
This is about the tenth post of yours that I've read that pisses and moans about the JK's brakes. I'm running 37's and have towed a ~2500lb trailer with mine while my JKU was loaded to the gills and the brakes have been just no issue at all.

Prior to gaining my current appreciation for the JK's brakes I had thought that with 37's, heavy loads and towing trailers that I'd have to or at least want to upgrade the brakes, but it just is not nessecary, the brakes are fine.

Does stopping distance increase with heavy loads and a trailer? Yes, there is no denying physics, but the JK brakes will still bring the tires to the point of lock up.

JPK
post #20 of 40 Old 03-29-2011, 02:32 AM
Granite Guru

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everybody is gonna die!!!!!!! If you tow with a JK you will kill every one on the road! AND in the ocean, and your past relatives, and your fathers friends, and all the nun's teaching sunday school! !!!!! OOOHHHH!!! FOR GODS SAKE! IT CAN'T BE DONE!!!!.........And if you do and it was successful? SHAME on you! Because you "COULD HAVE" killed everyone on the road,the ocean,your past relatives, your fathers friend, and the Nuns!.... Now that that has been said, just plan ahead, don't expect to stop too fast. But have a great trip!
post #21 of 40 Old 03-29-2011, 02:58 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOPPERDOUG View Post
Everybody is gonna die!!!!!!! If you tow with a JK you will kill every one on the road! AND in the ocean, and your past relatives, and your fathers friends, and all the nun's teaching sunday school! !!!!! OOOHHHH!!! FOR GODS SAKE! IT CAN'T BE DONE!!!!.........And if you do and it was successful? SHAME on you! Because you "COULD HAVE" killed everyone on the road,the ocean,your past relatives, your fathers friend, and the Nuns!.... Now that that has been said, just plan ahead, don't expect to stop too fast. But have a great trip!
HE LIVES! I didnt think you ever got on here anymore!

U.S. Army
post #22 of 40 Old 03-29-2011, 04:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPK View Post
This is about the tenth post of yours that I've read that pisses and moans about the JK's brakes. I'm running 37's and have towed a ~2500lb trailer with mine while my JKU was loaded to the gills and the brakes have been just no issue at all.

Prior to gaining my current appreciation for the JK's brakes I had thought that with 37's, heavy loads and towing trailers that I'd have to or at least want to upgrade the brakes, but it just is not nessecary, the brakes are fine.

Does stopping distance increase with heavy loads and a trailer? Yes, there is no denying physics, but the JK brakes will still bring the tires to the point of lock up.

JPK
Im not pissing and moaning. Just discussing. After 20 something jeeps and every brake setup under the sun I have a little perspective. And while wrangler brakes have never been that great, the jk's are an improvement somewhat over previous generations. But I don't know why jeep didn't give the jk the same twin piston calipers that they gave the grands... it would have made a world of difference.

The 2 best stopping jeeps I've ever owned was my 46 willys with big brake upgrades all around on the scout 44s and a corvette master cylinder, and my 97 tj with 1 ton brakes. The jk falls in the upper range but well short of these.

You may now return to your regular scheduled pissing and moaning about people pissing and moaning

post #23 of 40 Old 03-29-2011, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hey fellas, I wasnt trying to start a bunch of crap here......
post #24 of 40 Old 03-29-2011, 06:05 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

i think it should be ok as well.

regardless of what you are towing and what you are towing with, here are my observations of flat towing. i'm writing this for everyone.... not just one. i got alot of "you'll be ok" advice from people, but i got lucky and learned alot real fast without hurting anything. another guy i know did the same thing and wrecked a WJ and YJ on a offramp.

1- keep the speed reasonable for what youre doing. straightaway interstate may be fine to run at 60-70mph... but for God's sake, get a feel for the two vehicles interaction first.

2- on highway curves and on/off ramps, SLOW DOWN. flat towing is VERY different from hauling a trailer. even a dual axle trailer's axles are close-coupled and present little resistance to turning. another car/truck/suv being flat towed... the axles are FAR apart and resist turning ALOT.

3- avoid turning sharply in confined spaces. the steering wheel may tend to turn to full lock and not return to center... more an inconvenience than a danger...

4- you will have another vehicle physically attached to the rear of yours. take care in rapid movements or lane changes. (see #2) if you want an idea of what can happen, watch police pit videos on youtube.

i had a '98 ZJ 4.0 that i used to flat tow a '73 CJ5 on 33's. it worked great so long as i was careful. i could tell some stories that led to some butt-puckers and butterflies in the tummy.... but the best advice i can give is to not go too fast. if youre unfamiliar with the area, go VERY slowly. screw everyone else.

btw... i had to use that same ZJ (on 33's) to haul the JK-U to the dealership twice... on a trailer....

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #25 of 40 Old 03-29-2011, 06:32 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkbooth View Post
Hey fellas, I wasnt trying to start a bunch of crap here......
Some people are sensitive because they did something stupid.

A TJ weighs less and your flat towing so no weight of a trailer. Chances are you would be find but I would pull the Driveshafts just to make it an easier pull since the 3.8 is not the best for this.
Good luck with your trip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode