Bikini top and deck covers...... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 03-27-2011, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Bikini top and deck covers......

Who has what kind and how do they seal up, im thinking of just running them for the summer but dont want rain leaking in and getting my seats wet. btw i have a 4 door

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 03-28-2011, 07:24 PM
Granite Guru

Bestop wraparound windjammer and duster deck cover on 2 door leaks around edges of soundbar there is a gap.

2008 Black X 2" Rusty's lift, 33's XRC rear Bumper ( Traded in on Arctic)
2012 Arctic Edition (Traded in on Truck )
post #3 of 32 Old 03-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Rock God

while not "sealed" it does keep most of the elements out. I get a little water in the trunk. I think it looks badass

Justin
2009 Sahara Unlimited-The Saharacon
Just hanging out in the land of the banned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 03-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinfast002 View Post
while not "sealed" it does keep most of the elements out. I get a little water in the trunk. I think it looks badass

Ran the same setup for a while. Bestop safari top/2dr wind jammer/deck cover.

It keeps most of the stuff out. I'd recommend taking the carpet out and pulling the drain plug in the back cubbie. There were a number of times mine filled up with water.

Seats stayed mostly dry.

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
post #5 of 32 Old 03-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bullitt View Post
Ran the same setup for a while. Bestop safari top/2dr wind jammer/deck cover.

It keeps most of the stuff out. I'd recommend taking the carpet out and pulling the drain plug in the back cubbie. There were a number of times mine filled up with water.

Seats stayed mostly dry.
oh yes, my jeep doesn't have carpet. My rear seats stay perfectly dry

Justin
post #6 of 32 Old 03-28-2011, 10:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Anyone have the web link for this one... been looking at getting something like this.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 32 Old 03-29-2011, 04:20 AM
Rock God

Anyone ever had a Bimini tonno cover? It's only 65$ compared to Bestop Duster which is 126$.

Sent from a Android on Tapatalk..
post #8 of 32 Old 03-29-2011, 05:31 AM
Rock God

what a pain in the ass

windjammer
http://www.quadratec.com/products/11128_0235_07.htm

deck cover
http://www.quadratec.com/products/11154_023X_PG.htm

mopar "sun bonnet" <----officially the gayest name ever
http://www.quadratec.com/products/11126_53X_PG.htm

Justin
post #9 of 32 Old 03-29-2011, 07:12 AM
Wheeler

Garage
post #10 of 32 Old 03-29-2011, 08:44 AM
Wheeler

here is my wraparound

I have a 2 wraparound windjammer , mopar sunbonnet , and bestop deck cover. I love it looks bad ass. I had a zipper added to the deck cover and a zipper added of the bottom of the windjammer it keeps the deck cover nice and tight no water pooling. As for the seatbelts i cut the slits sewed some extra material with velcro comes off in 2 minutes goes on in 5 minutes also added some material to the top of the windjammer and some straps so its air tight. There is a piece that attaches to the floor i cut it off and used that for the extra material The only water i get in is where the roll bar goes through the deck cover im working on fixing that but its only a little water and goes right into the rear storage area just leave the drain plug out. I can get more pictures if any one is interested.

Last edited by kgw350; 03-26-2014 at 06:48 PM.
post #11 of 32 Old 03-29-2011, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

ouch the sunbonnet is pricey for what it is. i like what you have but it would be cheaper if i got a used soft top

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #12 of 32 Old 03-29-2011, 09:20 AM
Rock God

Garage

I have the Mopar Sun Bonnet (I agree, the name does suck), but it is a complete piece that includes a built in header channel so you don't need to buy that extra.

It fits real nice.

The only complaints that I have and they are minor, is the middle strap that ties to the back roll bar has to be set to the side of the interior light that is there also. With small effort it can be placed without distorting the finished installed look of the top.

It does not seal tightly with the full doors on but the gap is pretty small and unless its raining pretty good then you don't get wet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 32 Old 03-29-2011, 10:48 AM
Wheeler

I bought my sunbonnet though the dealer i had a book with a bunch of discount coupons in it i think it was 20% off, From when i bought the truck i don't remember how much it was but it was about 60 dollars cheaper than everywhere i called. Mine fits good with the full doors on i bring it to the car wash all the time and very little water on the inside and thats with 3,500 psi or so. I bought mine spring of 2010 maybe they changed the design mine does not cover the interior light has 6 straps across the back. The only problem i have is it puddles on the roof i need to put some kind of ratchet straps on the back or something on the back to pull it tight or 2 bowed tension bars from side to side they made them for the older jeeps i have not seen them for the newer ones . i would say i am about 90% water free.
post #14 of 32 Old 03-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgw350 View Post
I bought mine spring of 2010 maybe they changed the design mine does not cover the interior light has 6 straps across the back. The only problem i have is it puddles on the roof i need to put some kind of ratchet straps on the back or something on the back to pull it tight or 2 bowed tension bars from side to side they made them for the older jeeps i have not seen them for the newer ones . i would say i am about 90% water free.
The strap I am talking about is the long "Y" strap that attaches somewhere mid-length of the bonnet on either side and that is supposed to pull the front half taunt and then ties to the rear roll bar. I have the six straps in/along the back as well.

Now that you bring it up, yeah, the puddling is an issue as well but only in the rear for me. I have the Tuffy overhead console which keeps the front puddling to minimum. I was gonna look into getting a bow-bar or something for the back before this year started. Thanks for reminding me.

post #15 of 32 Old 03-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrogg View Post
I have the Mopar Sun Bonnet (I agree, the name does suck), but it is a complete piece that includes a built in header channel so you don't need to buy that extra.

It fits real nice.

The only complaints that I have and they are minor, is the middle strap that ties to the back roll bar has to be set to the side of the interior light that is there also. With small effort it can be placed without distorting the finished installed look of the top.

It does not seal tightly with the full doors on but the gap is pretty small and unless its raining pretty good then you don't get wet.
that middle strap is suppose to tie to the loop on the center of the windshield frame. Yall must have some bad luck. Mine is drier than my factory soft top.

Justin
post #16 of 32 Old 03-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Wheeler

I was wondering what strap you were talking about mine is to the front windshield loop as well. It is more money but it is probably the best i had the bestop put it on and right back off returned the next day and bought the sunbonnet i guess the sunbonnet is made by bestop.
post #17 of 32 Old 03-29-2011, 12:12 PM
Banned

Best top leaks. I like it though. Who needs carpet anyways?

Last edited by karnuvore; 03-29-2011 at 12:17 PM.
post #18 of 32 Old 03-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Granite Guru

As for the 2 door windjammer, what do you have to do to make it fit properly, if anything? I've really liked the look of the wraparound. And also, since I only have the hardtop, is there anything I need (like softop door frames) to purchase to make it work properly? Thanks guys, I think it looks really good.

2011 Sahara Tan Unlimited Sport, 3.5" lift, 35" BFG KM2's, more to come
post #19 of 32 Old 03-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08JKUnlimited View Post
As for the 2 door windjammer, what do you have to do to make it fit properly, if anything? I've really liked the look of the wraparound. And also, since I only have the hardtop, is there anything I need (like softop door frames) to purchase to make it work properly? Thanks guys, I think it looks really good.
Yes, you will need the door surrounds.

To make it fit properly? Ideally, you'd want to take it to a place that does custom softop work or an upholstery shop and have them, slice open the seam where the plastic channel is stitched in that slips into the door surround and have them add in 2" of fabric on each side. If you're doing this, then you would also want to have them add in a channel that matches the duster, so you can secure one to the other in such a way that the back of the duster is pulled up slightly as water can get in between the 2.

Just to make it fit like you've seen in some of the pics here, nothing. Just dont' install it on a cold day as the material needs to stretch some and if you look closely it will pull away at the bottom corners of the door surrounds. It's fine and works very well as long as you don't have anyone in the backseat for prolonged periods, as the backseat presses against the windjammer causing it to pull in the first place.

Also, the duster will leak as water pools on top of it. They sell a bow specifically for the duster that should eliminate that, but I would have to assume you also get some in at the roll bars, since the velcro does not wrap tightly around it. Adding in a piece of say a pool noodle like material around the circumfrence of the bar should eliminate that. Spraying the duster with water repellant type silicone spray wouldn't be a bad idea either. The best way to avoid leaks though is to just not park it in the rain. For driving in a downpour etc, you really shouldn't have any problem as I've found most of the water that gets in is a result of it sitting parked in the rain.

Also, to the guy who said the strap blocks the light, you either got one that was sewn without the V in it or you are pulling it to the back, that strap goes to the front little metal piece above your rearview mirror. Sorry for stating the obvious if that's how you're doing it, but it absolutely shouldn't be blocking the light.
post #20 of 32 Old 03-29-2011, 03:45 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
that middle strap is suppose to tie to the loop on the center of the windshield frame. Yall must have some bad luck. Mine is drier than my factory soft top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgw350 View Post
I was wondering what strap you were talking about mine is to the front windshield loop as well. It is more money but it is probably the best i had the bestop put it on and right back off returned the next day and bought the sunbonnet i guess the sunbonnet is made by bestop.
Right, it is supposed to go there. I have the Tuffy overhead console that utilizes that footman loop. That is why I have it running back, so I guess it would all be good except for that.

post #21 of 32 Old 03-29-2011, 05:42 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1 View Post
Yes, you will need the door surrounds.

To make it fit properly? Ideally, you'd want to take it to a place that does custom softop work or an upholstery shop and have them, slice open the seam where the plastic channel is stitched in that slips into the door surround and have them add in 2" of fabric on each side. If you're doing this, then you would also want to have them add in a channel that matches the duster, so you can secure one to the other in such a way that the back of the duster is pulled up slightly as water can get in between the 2.

Just to make it fit like you've seen in some of the pics here, nothing. Just dont' install it on a cold day as the material needs to stretch some and if you look closely it will pull away at the bottom corners of the door surrounds. It's fine and works very well as long as you don't have anyone in the backseat for prolonged periods, as the backseat presses against the windjammer causing it to pull in the first place.

Also, the duster will leak as water pools on top of it. They sell a bow specifically for the duster that should eliminate that, but I would have to assume you also get some in at the roll bars, since the velcro does not wrap tightly around it. Adding in a piece of say a pool noodle like material around the circumfrence of the bar should eliminate that. Spraying the duster with water repellant type silicone spray wouldn't be a bad idea either. The best way to avoid leaks though is to just not park it in the rain. For driving in a downpour etc, you really shouldn't have any problem as I've found most of the water that gets in is a result of it sitting parked in the rain.

Also, to the guy who said the strap blocks the light, you either got one that was sewn without the V in it or you are pulling it to the back, that strap goes to the front little metal piece above your rearview mirror. Sorry for stating the obvious if that's how you're doing it, but it absolutely shouldn't be blocking the light.
Thanks for the info. That's the exact info I was looking for. I've been thinking of this option, or waiting for the Trektop NX to come out and see what it has to offer. I like the idea of not having to buy the door surrounds.

2011 Sahara Tan Unlimited Sport, 3.5" lift, 35" BFG KM2's, more to come
post #22 of 32 Old 03-29-2011, 06:40 PM
JKO Addict!

anyone else have a good bikini top?

I was lookin at the spydershade... but need more info on that bad boy.

I'd like to run something that would work with my full doors and my armor mesh doors when ever. I have a husky rear cargo liner...so I'm not worried about water in the rear..I just hate using the hardtop in the summer.

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #23 of 32 Old 03-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Wheeler

I didn't add any material went right on just fold the front seats down when installing . I had a zipper added on the bottom of the windjammer i got rid of the c channel thing it keeps the duster very tight no water pooling and added straps on top. I attached some pictures.

Last edited by kgw350; 03-26-2014 at 06:48 PM.
post #24 of 32 Old 03-29-2011, 07:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Thumbs up They are a P.I.T.A

Quote:
what a pain in the ass

windjammer
http://www.quadratec.com/products/11128_0235_07.htm

deck cover
http://www.quadratec.com/products/11154_023X_PG.htm

mopar "sun bonnet" <----officially the gayest name ever
http://www.quadratec.com/products/11126_53X_PG.htm

I have a deck cover (NIB) and the tailgate piece (NIB) for a two door !!
Never installed !! Never will be !!!

The Project is moving forward.
post #25 of 32 Old 03-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Banned

Running the ORH combo top. Has an SUT cargo configuration that works the same way. I think it's about 800 for a 4dr. 1300ish for the combotop which adds the fastback, which is teh tits. I'll dig up some pics

As with most other setups, water getting into the cabin is an issue, but that's pretty much standard for this setup. You'd be much more water tight with the fastback if you're transporting the little one somewhere. Takes about 10 minutes to swap the rear section between tops to go from one to the other config.

Found one:

lilscorpion likes this.

Last edited by Dancin Dan; 03-29-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode