trade 2 dr for 4 dr, any regrets? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 03-27-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

trade 2 dr for 4 dr, any regrets?

I know some of you have traded in a 2 door for a 4 door. Any regrets? I know there is the space issue and all but, do you miss the turning radius? Brake over angles?

Hears the deal. I have a pile of parts sitting in my garage waiting to go on and my wife is concerned that my 2007 is aging, warranty is over and starting to have some mechanical issues. She does not want me to add all these new parts on a Jeep that is going to continue to give me issues. She has basically given me the green light to go trade it in on a loaded 2011 Rubicon but is pressuring me to consider the Unlimited. Am I going to regret it if I don't get another 2 door?

BTW I know I am going to get 20 people telling me to wait till the 2012s come out. I am not going to look at this pile of parts sitting in my garage for another 6 months and I really don't have an issue with the 3.8. The 3.6 just doesn't make my dick hard if you know what I mean.

Marc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 2 door Rubicon ROCK KRAWLER - POYL PERFORMANCE - RIVER RAIDER - POISON SPYDER - BILSTIEN - PITBULL - ACE - SMITTYBILT - BLACK ROCK - SUPERCHIPS - SPIDERWEB SHADES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 03-27-2011, 02:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

What type of mechanical problems?

Depending on how bad those problems really are, I wouldnt get rid of it, and definitely not for a 4dr

Take that money and dump it into the current jeep making it that much better
post #3 of 35 Old 03-27-2011, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Well right now every light on my dash is on. The check engine light is my fault for wheelin the shit out of stocker with no EVAP skid. Its going into the dealer tomorrow to get checked out. It's not a "need" at all but I do like the 2011 changes too. Plus Saraha Tan FTW.

Sent from an asshole with an iPhone

Marc

2007 2 door Rubicon ROCK KRAWLER - POYL PERFORMANCE - RIVER RAIDER - POISON SPYDER - BILSTIEN - PITBULL - ACE - SMITTYBILT - BLACK ROCK - SUPERCHIPS - SPIDERWEB SHADES

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 03-27-2011, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Also, I would like to keep off the cost aspect. I'm more concerned withe the 2 dr vs 4 dr argument. Mostly focusing on off road.

Marc

post #5 of 35 Old 03-27-2011, 04:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Then I will redo my post

sahara tan is the best color out there I wish they had it in 08 when I bought mine. Ive actually been looking into getting mine painted that color but matte

I am biased toward the 2 door so off road wise, you have to put a bigger tire to achieve the breakover angle a 2dr has with a smaller tire. Length plays a factor, I know on certain trails at rausch like 13 as well as 1a after that first hill... very tight, sharp turns, the 4dr guys have to make 3 point turns.

Those shouldnt really be too big of a deal though. Sometimes I wish I had the interior room of a 4dr, not for people but the ability to lay the seats flat and fit a lot more stuff.

If you like the new interior and a 4 door suits you do it! But I vote 2 dr

Plus psc doesnt make 2 dr corners

my .02

Last edited by BBirish; 03-27-2011 at 04:11 PM.
post #6 of 35 Old 03-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Wheeler

Your wife has a 4 door so I say stick with the 2 door

Also...if you get the 2011 two door with the dual top package....maybe you will be willing to come down in price on that old hard top you still have laying around

2008 2 Door Sahara, OME HD lift kit, AEV Pintlers, BFG MT KM2s, AEV Front Bumper, PIAAs, 5:13 Gears, Mygig w/Nav

post #7 of 35 Old 03-27-2011, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBirish View Post
Plus psc doesnt make 2 dr corners

my .02
First valid argument for the four door.

Marc

post #8 of 35 Old 03-27-2011, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydawn View Post

Also...if you get the 2011 two door with the dual top package....maybe you will be willing to come down in price on that old hard top you still have laying around
Hard top left today. Sorry.

Marc

post #9 of 35 Old 03-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggwhite93 View Post
Hard top left today. Sorry.

Oh well...when you get the 2011 2 door let me know how much you want for the hard top

2008 2 Door Sahara, OME HD lift kit, AEV Pintlers, BFG MT KM2s, AEV Front Bumper, PIAAs, 5:13 Gears, Mygig w/Nav

post #10 of 35 Old 03-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Rock God

Garage

I didn't have a 2dr JK but I did have a TJ, granted the short wheelbase is great in tight trails but since having a 4dr and having the luxury of the extra space, I don't think I would ever go back to a 2dr. If you are planning on using it for a daily driver and every other weekend warrior then I would say 4dr. If your plan is to wheel it every weekend and you want to go up to RC alot then I would stick with a 2dr.

aka- Brian

08' JKU on 38's... parted out and SOLD
13' JKU Rubi... On HOLD, 04' LJ to suppliment
Rise and Rise Again Until Lambs Become Lions
post #11 of 35 Old 03-27-2011, 05:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i traded my 2 door on a 4 door, and so far i like it better BUT i havent wheeled it yet. breakover angle is def worse but i hoping the riverraider skids i got will take that abuse

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #12 of 35 Old 03-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to armedsks

Spend 2k to get everything fixed. (to make the dash lights go out). A lot cheaper than 37K for a new rubi.

When i test drove the 4dr. It was much more practical for my family.(room and back doors for the car seats) But wasnt impressed with take off and making tight turns.

I guess it depends on how you treated your 07. Is your 07 paid for??? Dealer may try to hose you at trade in unless you sell private.
post #13 of 35 Old 03-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Rock God

I used to own a tj before I bought my jk 4 door. The tj was so much lighter and narrower. The wheelbase on the tj was nice in tight twisty stuff but sucked for hill climbs. I used to tire pick all the time. Longer wheelbase kicks ass there. I don't know... I do miss my tj a lot.

-Jeff
KG6VPY
post #14 of 35 Old 03-27-2011, 09:46 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I have both, and have wheeled both moderately.

The only complaint I have about my 2 door, and I mean the ONLY complaint I have about it is that it's a 6 speed.

I've seen 4 doors do some amazing things so I don't doubt their off road ability in the slightest.

Marcus

post #15 of 35 Old 03-28-2011, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks for all the advise so far. Keep it coming. I am pretty set on trading in. Just need to descide if I will regret going with the Unlimited the first time I take it off road. I may just go with a new 2 door? My biggest sticking point is that this is my daily driver as well and everyone knows the Unlimited is better for that. I wish I got to the trails more often but the fact it I just don't. Look a me talking my self right into the mini van!

Marc

post #16 of 35 Old 03-28-2011, 05:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have a 2D Rubi with a 6sp. I don't have any issues with the 3.8.

When I had my wipers fixed, they dealer gave me a 4 door Sahara to drive with an automatic. It felt like I was driving a minivan or something and not a Jeep. Probably be a different story with a lift because I think 4D's look very weak unless then have 35's on them. Plus they look like ass with the top down unless you have the doors off.

I'd be more concerned about the weight of the 4D and the 3.8 and 3.6 as well. I drove the 3.6 in the '11 Grand Cherokee before buying my wife's and it felt very underpowered so we got the HEMI. I think the GC and the Unlimited would feel about the same.

Unless you need 4D, stick with the 2D.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #17 of 35 Old 03-28-2011, 05:12 AM
Banned

I don't know if this is gonna help ya, but I traded in my 2dr for a 4 dr. I love it. Didn't have enough room for me, the wife, kid and big ass dog in the 2dr, and the wife never rode in it because it always smelled like wet dog and tee ball clay was all over the place from my kid climbing on the seats. So I traded in the 2dr and made everyone happy.

Now my wife wants her own 2dr so I think she fucked me over on that one! I do miss the turing radius, but it's no that bad considering the space gained!

And I don't wave at 2 doors anymore becuase they don't return the favor!
post #18 of 35 Old 03-28-2011, 06:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Marc, you know what I'm gonna tell ya!

Go for it! 4drs is where it's at and you won't regret it a bit since you're gonna put 35's on it right away anyway.

You should've ordered one thru ENCS when you were deployed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #19 of 35 Old 03-28-2011, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post

You should've ordered one thru ENCS when you were deployed!
I know. I know. There is a Demo with 1300 miles at Cherry Hill that is exactly what I want. 2011 Unlimited Rubicon sahara tan 6 speed nav and only soft top. I really would rather avoid them but could always take it to lucas for all my service like I do currently.

Marc

post #20 of 35 Old 03-28-2011, 07:33 AM
Rock God

Garage

Had an '04 TJ for years. Got my JK last May and went with the Unlimited instead. My daily driver, needed the space for clinicals bc Ill be moving a lot. Only do mild off-roading but I love my JKU. I dont have a wife n kids but it sure helps when a bunch of us wanna pile in. Everyone loves it. Gets the job done and the few trails I have taken it on its been great. Then again your needs off-road are much diff. than mine.

"With all due respect sir, I believe this will be our finest hour"
post #21 of 35 Old 03-28-2011, 07:39 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

No regrets here!

U.S. Army
post #22 of 35 Old 03-28-2011, 07:44 AM
Wheeler

Only regret I have is that I sold my 2 door a few weeks before buying the 4 dr. I thought it I was gonna wait awhile before buying the 4 dr so I didn't take all my extra goodies off the 2 dr before selling it. Oh well, its always fun to pay twice for something you really like. But honestly the 4 dr has been worth every penny and the extra room when going on camping trips is great!
post #23 of 35 Old 03-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Rock God

I did the opposite sold my 4dr for a 2dr and dont regret it at all. I never used the extra seats but sometimes the extra cargo space was nice. Plus i thought the 4 dr was underpowered and feel like the 2dr is about right for a jeep.
post #24 of 35 Old 03-28-2011, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I have decided to stay with my current 2 door. Why buy a new one just to treat it like shit like I do this one? Besides I cant get Rescue green. I do think I would have regretted going with the Unlimited the first time I went wheeling too.

Marc

post #25 of 35 Old 03-28-2011, 03:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The station wagon can do anything the Jeep can do....with a little body damage

If I absolutely needed the space or it was the ONLY vehicle I had, I wouldn't hesitate to get the 4-door. Big ass 40+" tires won't cure the turn radius issues in the rocks but it will cure the break-over angle problem. Ive seen 4-doors run just about every trail I have done, but I would not trade my 2-door for one.

Like the other poster said, I just wish they came in tan in 2008. That color is the chit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode