Pinging on 87 with the Superchips programmer - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-27-2011, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Pinging on 87 with the Superchips programmer

Is anyone else experiencing pinging on 87 using the 87 tune with a Superchips Programmer, even with the beta tune in it to take care of the pinging? I've still got it above 4,000rpms even at part throttle, and its especially noticable when my coolant temp gets above 195*F. I've tryed gas from different stations, I've even run 89 in it and I still get it somewhat with that. I've uploaded the stock program back into my jeep and I can beat the hell out of it and get no pinging what so ever, so thats why I don't think its a vacuum leak. I thought of running a 185*F thermostat in it, but I don't think I should have to do that if the programmer says nothing about needing one. I love the way my automatic shifts, the throttle response, and the fact I can change my tire size calibration with this programmer which is the main reason I got it, not for the added power, but I'm starting to wish i had gone with the diablosport predator , I don't think it should be pinging like this.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-27-2011, 09:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Dont you just love "10% Ethanol" Gas?

I typically run the 91 Tune with 93 gas.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-27-2011, 09:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

man that sucks for you guys who get the ping. I've had my superchips since it came out for the JK and I've never had pinging. The last time I updated it was a few months ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

I know my way all around under the jeep, but i must admit i am quite the window licker when it comes to under the hood stuff. So i have been wanting to ask, what the hell is "pinging?"

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #5 of 14 Old 03-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE View Post
I know my way all around under the jeep, but i must admit i am quite the window licker when it comes to under the hood stuff. So i have been wanting to ask, what the hell is "pinging?"
Engine "PING" is the sound of pre detination. The fuel is igniting before the piston is in the right position causing a pinging or rattling sound.

What it means is the timing is too advanced for the octane grade of fuel being burned i.e. running 87 octane on a 91 tune. The higher the octane, the slower the fuel burns, the more advanced the timing needs to be for optimal performance.

Try an octane boost with your 87 octane fuel and 87 tune to see what happens. Does the Superchips have a 85 octane tune? You could contact SuperChips directly for information..

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.

Last edited by jtphoto JK; 03-27-2011 at 04:37 PM.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-27-2011, 05:05 PM
Granite Guru

I have been running the 87 tune since Dec in mine and have no pinging issues.

2008 JK Rubicon
86ish Formula Toyota
post #7 of 14 Old 03-27-2011, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thats the only reason I bitch about it, because I know there are other guys out there with the superchips programmer with no pinging issues. And yes I can run an octane booster or higher octane gas on the 87 tune, but I wanna be able to run the 87 tune so I don't have to pay extra for the better gas. I'd be perfectly happy if they just had a tune that changed the transmission shifting and gave me the increase throttle response. I could do without the extra power, I think its the increase throttle response that makes it feel like its giving me more power anyways. It hasn't helped my fuel mileage at all.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #8 of 14 Old 03-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoulk View Post
Thats the only reason I bitch about it, because I know there are other guys out there with the superchips programmer with no pinging issues. And yes I can run an octane booster or higher octane gas on the 87 tune, but I wanna be able to run the 87 tune so I don't have to pay extra for the better gas. I'd be perfectly happy if they just had a tune that changed the transmission shifting and gave me the increase throttle response. I could do without the extra power, I think its the increase throttle response that makes it feel like its giving me more power anyways. It hasn't helped my fuel mileage at all.

I thought you could manipulate that stuff manually starting with your stock tune...you might want to check that out...could have sworn that was the case...been a while since I plugged mine into the heep...been super happy with mine...anyway, have you contacted Superchips?

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #9 of 14 Old 03-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Rock God

I had this issue on the Durango I used to have along with the programmer. As opposed to running a different tune or spending more $$$ on gas, I just simply used a new set of plugs that were one heat range cooler than stock. Took care of the pinging issue and no problems after that. You'd likely have this problem regardless of whether you got the Superchips, Diablo or Bully Dog because they all advance the timing on the performance tunes.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Granite Guru

Has anyone ever had sucess contacting Superchips? Mine pings like crazy, and since getting a new computer when my laptop died, I can not update the software. I can't even log into the site or retrieve my old password.

I have tried calling superchips twice and got eternal hold each time. I have inquired on their forum as well as sent email, also no response.

Not that they would ever tell you, but I would really like to know exactly what superchips changes. I am used to using a product in the motorcycle industry called a Power Commander. If you ride a bike with fuel injection, you know what I am talking about. The Power Commander has maps (3 dimensional fuel and ignition mapping) that can be down loaded and installed in the unit. These maps are usually labeled (brand X exhaust, K&N filter)
You pick the set up as close as you can to what you have and try it. They come pretty close, but the real power comes from running the bike on a dyno with the PowerCommander software. In about 15 minutes I would make a custom map just for that bike. I was able to get 5% increases and more mid throttle rideability right off the show room floor on bike that were considered fast and well tuned out of the crate.
I have been searching for the equivalent for my JK. Superchips is not it. I think I will try the Diablo trinity next.

2008 JKU Rubicon
TerraFlex 4" coils
Fox 2.0's
Smitty SRC Bumper
Smitty XRC Winch
Hella Rally 4000's
Hella H4 Headlight conversion
K&N CAI
Diablo In Tune
Ripp Headers
American Racing Mojave 17x8
Cooper AT3 315/70/17

140K pretty much trouble free miles despite the constant abuse.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-28-2011, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I contacted superchips, thats how I got the beta tune for the pinging problem. I might give the different spark plugs a try

post #12 of 14 Old 03-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Granite Guru

I have been dealing with Superchips on being able to get Transmission Temp to display. They do this by a special firmware build tagged to your serial number of your programmer. This was all done by email and I was happy with the response and result. I was patient. This does not happen overnight. I found out about this capability by going to the Forum on their site.

By the way, I just put 5.13 gears in my JK and reprogrammed to that gear ratio and my speedo was right on.

As a second by the way, those who have this programmer should try the off-road option. Pretty nice to have the throttle response being kinda "wimpy" and not so responsive to throttle. You have to reprogram when you are done with the off-roadding.

2008 JK Rubicon
86ish Formula Toyota

Last edited by OlMan; 03-28-2011 at 05:06 PM.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE View Post
Think knock.

This has been a known issue for a while, I can not believe this is still going on. Superchips support has gone way down hill in the last year. I wish Diablo was around when around sooner.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-29-2011, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I just wonder if its a problem with any of the other programmers. I know they all probably advance the timing, but I would think if they increased the pulse width of the injectors a little bit, thus injecting more fuel, that would help avoid pinging. Don't know if a programmer gets that involved or not though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode