Tinny rattle under load - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-25-2011, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Tinny rattle under load

Our jk has always had it. It was just at low speeds but it's getting more prevalent at higher speeds. I don't think it's a heat shield, I'm goin to try to look again tomorrow. It almost sounds like a rattling flex plate... Which is weird... It does have an exhaust leak somewhere up front, but I think it's unrelated (and I suspect a cracked manifold).

Anyone ever have this sound? I'm going to tear into it tomorrow but I figured I'd see if anyone ever had this symptom before.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Rock God

Garage

Mine has always had it too. I usually don't notice it until I'm accelerating and get above 3K RPM.....and I don't notice it unless I have the doors off, or with the windows down near a curb or concrete barrier.

Still don't know what's causing it and dealer never could either.

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Rock God

Before you discount the heat shield, check it out one last time! I had checked visually 3 times. The last time I checked when the exhaust was HOT. I threw on my welding gloves and got under there with a screw driver. Sure enough, one of the welds on the crossover pipe looked fine, but when I pried under it with the screw driver it bent right out. I had pried under it cold before and never saw it move.
It's worth a try,because if that's the problem it's an easy fix!

Good luck!

BTW, I thought mine was suddenly getting louder, but I had recently removed the carpet and had the floor pan drain plugs open after washing the heap out. The heat shield is right under your feet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, + upper control arms:RRD remote reservoir shocks:Teraflex Speed Bumps:Poison Spyder bumpers, fenders, and rockers: Gen Right tire carrier: Rigid duallies, 20 and 50 bars, fogs: Trucklites: Off Road Hero's Top: Genesis Off Road dual battery kit:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-25-2011, 09:25 PM
Rock God

Garage

Now that I think about it, this last weekend was the first time I had the doors off since November, and I did not notice the sound. Back in November, my crosspipe was crushed pretty good, along with that heat shield while I was wheeling in Clayton.

I've checked the heat shield a number of times...but never when it was hot.

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Banned

mine is loud! everytime i acclerate, and its really bad in the mornings when i first start it up
post #6 of 12 Old 03-26-2011, 03:22 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bullitt View Post
Mine has always had it too. I usually don't notice it until I'm accelerating and get above 3K RPM.....and I don't notice it unless I have the doors off, or with the windows down near a curb or concrete barrier.

Still don't know what's causing it and dealer never could either.

there are 2 metal EGR tubes that have a metallic metal covering on them that are not clamped around them and they will rattle at higher rpm's and sound like it is coming from the transmission. Make sure you inspect the one that runs straight down behind the firewall.

Clamped mine and no more rattle!
post #7 of 12 Old 03-27-2011, 05:59 AM
Banned

Im a noob, can someone take a pic of these EGR tubes? I think im looking at the right ones but im not sure how these would make that noise.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-10-2011, 06:51 PM
JKO Addict!

well look what i found had the same sound under load and in the morning

calling the dealer tommorrow , how long can you go without a heat shield
post #9 of 12 Old 04-10-2011, 06:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
well look what i found had the same sound under load and in the morning

calling the dealer tommorrow , how long can you go without a heat shield
im on number 3 They have all cracked in the exact same spot. It will be covered under the Ca emissions warranty.

www.jeepasylum.com
post #10 of 12 Old 04-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
Our jk has always had it. It was just at low speeds but it's getting more prevalent at higher speeds. I don't think it's a heat shield, I'm goin to try to look again tomorrow. It almost sounds like a rattling flex plate... Which is weird... It does have an exhaust leak somewhere up front, but I think it's unrelated (and I suspect a cracked manifold).

Anyone ever have this sound? I'm going to tear into it tomorrow but I figured I'd see if anyone ever had this symptom before.
I have that exact same sound, I have also checked the heat shield and found nothing. I dont have it on acceleration as much as I do on decel. I can hear it plain as day with the doors on and the windows up and the top up. I will do the trick about checking it with the exhaust hot and I will also check the EGR tubes mention above.

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rescue Green NSG370
RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

A lot more to come very soon!
post #11 of 12 Old 04-11-2011, 08:08 AM
Rock God

could that type of noise be the engine pinging from fuel with too low of an octane rating? I had a Navigator which required premium fuel, if I put the 87 octane in there it would ping like crazy. I know most modern engines can detect the fuel type and adjust automatically but with our 3.8 minivan motors from the 90's, maybe this is an issue? Just a thought...
My JK has several rattles and clunks, if nothing is falling off I just turn up the music....haha

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 12 Old 04-11-2011, 08:31 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG426 View Post
could that type of noise be the engine pinging from fuel with too low of an octane rating? I had a Navigator which required premium fuel, if I put the 87 octane in there it would ping like crazy. I know most modern engines can detect the fuel type and adjust automatically but with our 3.8 minivan motors from the 90's, maybe this is an issue? Just a thought...
My JK has several rattles and clunks, if nothing is falling off I just turn up the music....haha
haha I do the same thing to drown out the noise. I understand its a jeep and not a caddy so it will always have noises.

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rescue Green NSG370
RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

A lot more to come very soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode