3M adhesive (Hothead Headliners) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-24-2011, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

3M adhesive (Hothead Headliners)

I just read a thread on a different forum about a guy's rear headliner panel falling down after 12 hour of being installed. This is the first I have heard about any of the rear headliner panels coming down that are attached with the 3M adhesive. This adhesive preformed great in our tests. We used 3X the weight to sq. inch of adhesive ratio that the headliner panels are and heated the hard top to 250-300 F for days on end. The sections of panels never fell even when we shook them violently. We are also using 8 to 10 times the amount of adhesive that was recommended by the reps at 3M. I wrote all that because I want everyone to know that we honestly believed that the 3M adhesive would not fail.
That being said, we will stand behind our headliners. If anyone is having this or any other problem please call or write and we will take care of the issue to your satisfaction.
714-872-2071
[email protected]

Mark Ambrose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-25-2011, 04:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

no thtat i have them but good to see youy standing behind your product, maybe the guy who had a problem didnt clean it well

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #3 of 7 Old 03-25-2011, 04:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

X2! Lackof PROPER cleaning and preperation, if they are not cleaned WELL and you wait till the middle of the day in a high humidity region of the U.S. then it will not work as advertised, demonstrated, tested to either the client (vendor), or the end user. I have been in the beggining stages of researching the purchase of your entire kit for a 4 dr including the side panels, partially for the the heeat reduction but mostly for sound absorption. I used to do very high end and custom stereo and alarm so my hearing has been abused to say the least but seeing my 2 year old holding his fingers in his ears going down the road from the drone and echo concerns me, if any think its a jeep thing, mall crawlerish, or whatever I don't give a rat's testicle it's my jeep that will be his when he gets old enough and I can mod it to my taste's.

The reason that I have yet to order is I have been meaning to call or email for a small sample of the headliner material to try to match up the color to a plastic paint so I can paint all the white as close to the same color as possible, I thought of trying a local headliner shop for a small piece but different suppliers mean different colors.

Another question that I had and I suppose that I should have pm'd you this but I am thinking others may be interested in this question as well but I have had a vew Volkswagon GTI's Scirrocco's and Corrado's in mny past and they had a polish leather (haha) vinyl looking leather that I wondered if you could do something like that instead as it would be a whole heck of a lot easier to clean and would not hold smells, mud and so on and would be a lot less likely to absorb any water and weigh the heck out of the panels due to water absorbtion when wheeling or cleaning, I have a french mastiff (turner & hooch) that I frequently haul around and end up washing the inside of the jk out a lot so this would benifit me greatly, I understand the price would go up as well as shipping possibly due to the weight but for me and possibly some others it would be GREATLY benificial. Any Thoughts?

As far as the 3m tape failing, highly doubt that it was your or 3m's fault, but very good job jumping on the early stick to discuss it!!!

I would recommend anyone doing this install to get rubber surgical gloves, getting something from the hardware stores that cleans paint a thinner or what ever, be careful as some leave an oily residue and some will SOFTEN the plastic/fiberglass, I stayed up waaaay to late last night with the wife on the new trampoline last night and got called in to work this mornig so I can't remeber what is the right ones and wrong ones yet, Dr. Pepper hasn't kicked in yet... Anyway, turn the top upside down if possible, if not make sure you wear some goggles at least and wipe the inside down at least 2-3 times using NEW or Really clean rags in each spot, a lot of people will try to use the same rag to clean everything and it gets to a point that you are just moving the oils around at that point, let it dry a good 30 minutes or so and then install, best to do it in the am hours when the humidity levels are low for those of us in humid zones and when ever in others.

I know I posted a lot but I had many installers under me that thought more spray glue was better and it was always not the case, too much causes a gap between the pieces and becomes a gooey layer that it will start to droop or pull away and leave stretch marks and so on. So fi the headliner with as much 3M tape as it appears in the photos I've seen that he uses is ALL installer error, And the 3m tape thit I am pretty sure that he is using is NOT cheap even at his cost as I used to have to use it my self, infact me and the guys played an april fools joke on a guy and stuck everyone of his tools to the walls in the shop with 3m tape needless to say the joke was on us as we had to replace some tools as well as A TON of sheetrock repairs!!! But with this as any adhesive it will only be as good as the prep of the surface that it is expected to adhear to.

Again good job and this confirms that I will be ordering from this guy, speciall if I can get a material change, hint, hint. If not send them bare and I'll order the material and install the "pleather" my self I guess, no biggie! I don't miss the bald legs from all the over spray from the compressor operated glue guns that's for damn sure!

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Rock God

X3 on improper cleaning being the culprit of failure.
Working in the OEM body trim business where 3M VHB Acrylic foam tapes are extensively used and over 90% of failures are related to improper bond surface treatment. Next in line of failures is insufficient wet-out of tape when applied and after that only a small fraction of various other issues.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Mechanic

i believe that it could have also been an bad run of adhesive. i had this issue as well, and [email protected] worked with me to resolve the problem. i received all my panels at once, and every one took with the exception of the side panels. didnt have a problem with the freedom top panels and the 2 panels for the top of the hardtop. all were prepped the exact same way.

i have since spaced out the rear side panels and replaced the adhesive (thanks to mark!!!) and no longer have an issue.

Jon R.
Owner, Bullpen Garage
18 E Ventura St
Tucson, AZ 85705
520-396-3001
post #6 of 7 Old 03-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Rock God

Garage

So far so good on mine. I cleaned the area as instructed and stuck them up on a day that was in the mid 60's and that was around 2 weeks ago. Guess i will see how they work this summer.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-25-2011, 01:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I got a bad batch of velcro also, but Mark sent some new ones to me. No issues ever since, from 0 to 100 degrees.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode