Ice Ice Baby - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 12-15-2008, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Ice Ice Baby

So we're sliding down this hill sideways Saturday afternoon on the side of a 5,000 foot cliff on the Cherohala Skyway... ...and I'm thinkin', "this is not going to buff out...". My wife is saying some sort of prayer to her guardian angel, the dog's tail is waving like crazy and she's bouncing all over the place...

It was all sort of in slow motion. Solid ice, about 1/2" thick with a thin veil of snow over it. Not a freakin' hope in a million of getting traction or landing anywhere else than where gravity demands.

Then thwack. The guardrail caught us. I dropped it into 4-low and crept a little off the rail, spun the rest of the way around and thwack again.
My wife finished her prayer and looks at me and, honest to God, says, "do you want me to get out and push?"

I'm trying not to laugh at her 'cause I know she's serious. The situation was far from dire --- just this helpless feeling. Wondering when the next vehicle will come around the bend and lose it also. There was lots of snow in the mountains but this was the first ice; snow melt off the sunny side of the rocks had formed a sheet of ice on the shady side of the mountain.

So I thanked her for her willingness to help and cut the wheel sharply downhill; I aimed at an arc and tried to launch myself in a way that would eventually spin me facing forward toward the grass. It worked.

All in all, I just crushed the plastic bumper a little. And learned a lesson about traction. And put a winch on my wish-list.

The other side of the disaster zone:

the carnage:

Safety fast,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Get to know
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-15-2008, 06:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Good thing both of your are ok... Prayer really does work!

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-15-2008, 06:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yeah, glad you're ok. Funny story though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-15-2008, 07:37 AM
Alec W

Looks like a good opportunity for a bumper upgrade to me
post #5 of 9 Old 12-15-2008, 07:40 AM
Openly Hostile

Glad you guys are okay. And yes, I see bumper upgrades for you in the very near future.

Jason
post #6 of 9 Old 12-15-2008, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I blew the mod budget on gears... ...gotta wait...

Safety fast,

Get to know
post #7 of 9 Old 12-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Granite Guru

Glad you guys are ok! I was nervous for you. The whole time I'm was reading it thinking the same thing. I hope no one comes around the corner!

American, Gun owning, God fear'n, Veteran, and I'm offended that you're offended.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-15-2008, 10:01 AM
Rock God

Would have been nice to have ice studs in your tires there. Do you get ice like that often? We don't get ice very often but we do get lots of snow..

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-15-2008, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtphoto JK View Post
Would have been nice to have ice studs in your tires there. Do you get ice like that often? We don't get ice very often but we do get lots of snow..
Georgia hardly gets ice at all; the Cherohala would've been clear also except for those dang dark hollows...
I've driven in snow and on ice for many years; this was the first time that I felt that out of control.
I wonder how many other dents were born there on Saturday?

Safety fast,

Get to know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode