drag links and track bar - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 03-23-2011, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

drag links and track bar

so my jeep has had the death wobble for a long time and i havent been able to locate exactly where the problem is coming from. the guy that looked at it (worked at an offroad shop) noticed that the track rod seemed to flex a slight bit when the tires turn in place.

my jeep has this:
35" tires
2.5 spacer lift
old man e steering stabilizer

He suggests that I buy new drag links and a new track bar and hopefully this will fix some of the problem. can anyone suggest some brands or good quality companies that make these parts? or, any other suggestions about ways to go about this problem? i have already searched the forums and found the death wobble checklist, but I am just going by what he told me to do. thanks

Last edited by lanman08; 04-01-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I recently just did the exact same thing. I went with Currie HD drag links and a Procomp track bar. I had the original JKS track bar that was not very thick, and it was flexing like mad.

These two changes stopped my wobble completely.

tehiv
'14 Copperhead JKUR
'14 White WK2 Overland

formerly: 98 TJ | 97 XJ | 05 TJ | 01 WJ | 07 JKU
post #3 of 21 Old 03-23-2011, 08:48 PM
JKowners Vendor

Terafelx forged monster track bar. At the same time check your ball joints. If you've had the shakes for an extended period of time - odds are you've blown your ball joints.

Teraflex forged monster track bar:
http://www.rebeloffroad.com/product_p/1753418.htm

If you have enough lift:
http://www.rebeloffroad.com/product_p/1600440.htm

Replacement ball joints:
http://www.rebeloffroad.com/product_p/ppm-8009-12.htm

Are you running any kind of lift? Might be time for cam bolts and/or adjustasble control arms (minimum lower front and upper rear.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 03-23-2011, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

opefully this will fix it... the stock one just doesnt seem very sturdy. do you know how much $ this ran you? thanks for your help
post #5 of 21 Old 03-24-2011, 12:34 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I'm Rock Krawler tierod and draglink and Moog ball joints. Very beefy and no DW. As noted above, your ball joints may also be wore out. If all that doesn't fix it then look at control arm joints. Bushings may be wore out.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 Old 03-24-2011, 02:39 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor

I recommend the Rock Krawler Suspension Drag Link and Tie Rod. Beefy and solid.

They wont bend or flex and if hit will be able to take the punishment more than anything else on the market currently.

• Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:

Magazine Feature:

post #7 of 21 Old 03-24-2011, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I have 2.5 inch coil lift. so do yall think that i am going in the right direction?
post #8 of 21 Old 03-24-2011, 09:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Id go poly, ive seen there shit take major abuse in the hammers with no issue
post #9 of 21 Old 03-24-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

heres what i am looking at getting:

track bar:
http://shoplive.rompalicious.com/sto...ack=googlebase

or...

why is the first one triangular and the second trackbar circular like the stock ones? am i looking at something wrong? does it make a difference?

i also need to look at tie rods now..
post #10 of 21 Old 03-24-2011, 09:12 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanman08 View Post
heres what i am looking at getting:

track bar:
http://shoplive.rompalicious.com/sto...ack=googlebase

or...

why is the first one triangular and the second trackbar circular like the stock ones? am i looking at something wrong? does it make a difference?

i also need to look at tie rods now..
We sell and have installed both. If you'd like, give me a call tomorrow and we can talk about your whole build to make sure this component gets you where you need to be.

Cheers,
Bond
post #11 of 21 Old 03-26-2011, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by REBEL OFFROAD View Post
We sell and have installed both. If you'd like, give me a call tomorrow and we can talk about your whole build to make sure this component gets you where you need to be.

Cheers,
Bond
been working and havent had a chance to call! i need to get this ordered soon though wobble is bad
post #12 of 21 Old 03-28-2011, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

could the problem be that i need new adjustable front control arms?? im not sure if I should buy a new roughcountry track bar... or new control arms?? someone help please!
post #13 of 21 Old 03-28-2011, 05:10 PM
JKowners Vendor

Like I said on the phone, death wobble is caused by many many things and is never 100% of the time the same thing between all Jeeps. Lift size, tire size, etc all play factors.

Check the torque on your track bar bolts, and after numerous death wobble experiences you need to check your ball joints as well.

I know you are 3 hours from a 4x4 shop but we'd like to see you have a professional check it out. I'm happy to sell you whatever parts you want but I want them to be the right ones.

When a vehicle with a wobble comes in, even with a 2.5" lift, the first thing we do is tighten bolts. Our instincts and experience tell us to adjust your caster, and simply throwing on a new steering stabilizer isn't the solution.

Happy to be of any assistance possible,

Cheers,
Bond
post #14 of 21 Old 03-31-2011, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

ok so getting the jeeo checked out soon. last time i checked all bolts and everything was tight in the front end but didnt check the tourqe.

anyways as a back up... i was thinking the best option would be to replace the 2.5" spacers that i have now and buy the rough country lift:

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_3-seriesII.html

i figure this would give me a good chance of eliminating the problem since it comes with new arms, trackbar brackets etc etc. any opinions?
post #15 of 21 Old 04-01-2011, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

bump
post #16 of 21 Old 04-02-2011, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

bump again... need to get this fixed
post #17 of 21 Old 04-02-2011, 05:25 PM
JKowners Vendor

Have you tried to tighten the bolts and did you look at the condition of the ball joints? These are so locations that could easily casur your DW.

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #18 of 21 Old 04-03-2011, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

yes everything is tightened down. did not look at the ball joints.... i keep being told different things to do
post #19 of 21 Old 04-08-2011, 06:18 AM
Wheeler

I'm going through the same thing you are. Turns out my problem was the track bar bushing on the frame side. Mine was soft, I had the bolt as tight as I could get it without fear of snapping the bolt and it still moved within itself about 1/6" of an inch. Swapped it out for another stock TB that a friend had and it got rid of DW but I still have a slight shimmy when I hit good sized bumps at speed.The only way you can tell is to get down under your jeep while someone else turns the steering wheel back and forth fast. If there is ANY movement at either end that's probably your problem. 90% of DW is track bar induced. The other issue that could happen with the trackbar is that the axle side mount hole could be wallowed out. You really won't know this without taking it apart and looking at it. If the hole is larger than the bolt, time to have it reinforced.

I'm ordering an aftermarket adjustable TB. I think this will help, instead of the axle fighting with such a short factory TB, even at only 2.5". Probably the RK b/c I've had good experiences with them with my last jeep.

If you replace the track bar and still have issues I'd suspect the ball joints.

Last edited by TacticalJK; 04-08-2011 at 06:20 AM. Reason: added info
post #20 of 21 Old 04-09-2011, 02:55 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalJK View Post
The other issue that could happen with the trackbar is that the axle side mount hole could be wallowed out. You really won't know this without taking it apart and looking at it. If the hole is larger than the bolt, time to have it reinforced.
Here is the fix for that.

Quote:
I'm ordering an aftermarket adjustable TB. I think this will help, instead of the axle fighting with such a short factory TB, even at only 2.5". Probably the RK b/c I've had good experiences with them with my last jeep.
If you want a TB that is EASY to adjust while on the vehicle check THIS out.

Quote:
If you replace the track bar and still have issues I'd suspect the ball joints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanman08 View Post
yes everything is tightened down. did not look at the ball joints.... i keep being told different things to do
I would suspect the BJ's to be this issue at this point though. Here is the fix.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #21 of 21 Old 04-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Rock God

I had the beginings of death wobble and bump steer pretty bad. Spent today installing polys ball joints and its all gone! Lower balljoints were trashed. Also Moridintx had the same problem and we did his balljoints 2 weeks ago and his lowers were trashed too, it solved his DW and bumpsteer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode