Most likely to damage: sides or rear corners? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-22-2011, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Research, bro!

Garage
Most likely to damage: sides or rear corners?

So, in the perfect world we're so awesome we never smack our jeeps on anything. Well, life - or my driving skills at least - ain't perfect. Living over here in California, there's plenty of rocks to keep me busy. I was thinking about armoring up at least one. What do you find happening more often on those types of trails - damage to the lower body sides or the rear corners?

Now I do have sliders (T&T) that will help keep the rocks of the side. Would that be enough to sway one to go rear corner armor over side?

Thanks!

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A proud part of the Cutts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-22-2011, 09:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'd have to see the design of the sliders to give you my opinion. If they protrude from the body like Shrockworks ones I posted below then I wouldn't worry about damage as much. If they're tucked up to the body like stock Rubicon rails or the PSC ones below I would armor up that area for sure. Hope that helps.
Attached Images

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #3 of 11 Old 03-22-2011, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Research, bro!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_fjizzle View Post
I'd have to see the design of the sliders to give you my opinion. If they protrude from the body like Shrockworks ones I posted below then I wouldn't worry about damage as much. If they're tucked up to the body like stock Rubicon rails or the PSC ones below I would armor up that area for sure. Hope that helps.
T&T Customs are more like Shrockworks...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-22-2011, 09:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

I've run my JK in rocks since new, and the first bit of armor I got was the oil pan/trans and EVAP (EVAP is still relatively un-marked, but cheap insurance) skids from Skid Row. Next up was rock rails. Would NOT run a JK without at LEAST OEM Rubi guards. I have the Olympic A/T's- decent, cheap rails. They've been well-abused, and show only a bit of rust (click-clacked over) for it.
As for corners, I still run stock- haven't bashed anything yet! However, I did lose my license plate, but that was to a dumb biotch in a Wallie World parking lot Now I have a tramp stamp with my plate on it, and a blanking plate over the stock bracket hole Sweet- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #5 of 11 Old 03-22-2011, 10:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yep. Are those frame mounted?

If it were me, I would go with corner armor. Having said that, unless you're doing some extreme stuff or are wheeling in very tight places, the odds of corner damage aren't very high.

ΣX

post #6 of 11 Old 03-22-2011, 10:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post
I've run my JK in rocks since new, and the first bit of armor I got was the oil pan/trans and EVAP (EVAP is still relatively un-marked, but cheap insurance) skids from Skid Row. Next up was rock rails. Would NOT run a JK without at LEAST OEM Rubi guards. I have the Olympic A/T's- decent, cheap rails. They've been well-abused, and show only a bit of rust (click-clacked over) for it.
As for corners, I still run stock- haven't bashed anything yet! However, I did lose my license plate, but that was to a dumb biotch in a Wallie World parking lot Now I have a tramp stamp with my plate on it, and a blanking plate over the stock bracket hole Sweet- Mark W.
Good advice....if you don't have it get a Poison Spyder Evap skid. It's $98 (if I recall correctly) and very important if you're going to play in the rocks.

ΣX

post #7 of 11 Old 03-22-2011, 10:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

They bolt into the OEM pinch-seam holes, and have some rather nifty metal straps (solid- haven't bent 'em, despite some HEAVY hits) that run under the door and clamp on the seam just inside (don't have a pic, sorry!). I've seen some people weld them in, but A. I can't weld to save my life, and B. I'd rather not I've used mine to hi-lift jack on, and they held just fine.

They came with a decent rubber gasket that goes against the body. Took them off after a year, just to check- no rust- the paint looks a bit off vs. just above the rails, but nothing awful. I put a light bead of silicone grease around the edges when installed, and haven't touched them since. No complaints! Just make sure when installing them that the doors don't rub on the straps, or you may lose some paint! Mine were darn close- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #8 of 11 Old 03-22-2011, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Research, bro!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_fjizzle View Post
Good advice....if you don't have it get a Poison Spyder Evap skid. It's $98 (if I recall correctly) and very important if you're going to play in the rocks.
Yea, they are frame mounted, I already relocated my evap. As far as other skids go, I"m already talking w/ a JKO vendor on a RROR system. This thread was for "the next step". There's a good set of my NorCal friends that have banged up their rigs and I plan on following them on the trails this summer!)

post #9 of 11 Old 03-22-2011, 10:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRauzer View Post
Yea, they are frame mounted, I already relocated my evap. As far as other skids go, I"m already talking w/ a JKO vendor on a RROR system. This thread was for "the next step". There's a good set of my NorCal friends that have banged up their rigs and I plan on following them on the trails this summer!)
Well...with that info I would say corner guards 100%. Good luck man

ΣX

post #10 of 11 Old 03-22-2011, 11:30 PM
Rock God

Thats a tough one. I usually hit both everytime I go out...

My JKO BLACK WIDOW BUILD THREAD:

Big Thanks to Jason at

In process: One TONS, 44" Tires, Comp CUT,
Strertched, Hydro Assist, TF 6" LA,
Chromoly TR Beadlocks,
Katskins, and more!
post #11 of 11 Old 03-23-2011, 06:06 AM
JKowners Vendor

I also would say corners. The rails you have wont take a pounding for a long time but offer some protection. The corners however are wide open right now! One rock a little to close, and your looking at some big money to fix it! So, do the corners now, then save for new rails!!

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode