Question for all 08 soft tops - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-22-2011, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Question for all 08 soft tops

I just bought an 08 4 door sahara a month ago from a well known dealership and I just noticed the front of the soft top in the middle of the windshield is bowed up a bit. I took it to another well known dealership by my house and they said it was bent. So when I called the dealership I got it from they said to bring it to them so they could take a look at it. I took it up to them and the next day they called and said that it was good to go and everything was the way it is supposed to be. When I went to pick it up I noticed that it wasn't even touched, but the service was closed so I went and talked to the sales manager. The manager told me he would call me the next day after he talked to the service manager about the part. He told me that if it didn't cost that much he would fix it for free, but if it cost to much he couldn't do anything about it. I just got a call from the service manager and he said thats the way it is supposed to be, but there is a metal replacement that could help make the front of the top more flush. So I ask all the soft top owners out there does your soft top bow up in the middle at the windshield?

Last edited by JoeStef79; 03-22-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to LS6TT

my soft top is from an 08 and there is no bow in the front.

keep pestering them to take care of it.

-Alex
2010 2dr Sport | 2.5" BB Lift with 4dr Springs | More to come
post #3 of 9 Old 03-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Wheeler

I have an '08 2 door and it does not bow up in the middle. However, it does bow up a bit on the sides causing very loud wind noise at highway speeds
I recall hearing there was an issue with a plastic support that was pretty flimsy. I have also heard some people got the piece replaced for free if within the warranty period (it was somewhere on the forums)
I brought mine in for this issue about a year ago (while under warranty) and was told there was no problem
Anyway good luck to you...hopefully they will replace it for you w/o issue

2008 2 Door Sahara, OME HD lift kit, AEV Pintlers, BFG MT KM2s, AEV Front Bumper, PIAAs, 5:13 Gears, Mygig w/Nav

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Its a known 'issue' that the plastic header on 07 & 08s can deform and cause more wind noise then normal. There is a dealer TSB on this but they won't replace it for free unless you are under warrantee. The part cost about 140.00 and is worth getting.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 Old 03-22-2011, 01:55 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

There is lots and lots of information out there about this.

The TSB is 23-010-09A for that header bar.

Marcus

post #6 of 9 Old 03-22-2011, 01:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
There is lots and lots of information out there about this.

The TSB is 23-010-09A for that header bar.

Marcus
and a write-up should you have to do it yourself.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47268

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Wheeler

I call BS on the dealership.
Mine still sits flat, well it was when I took it off to put hard top on for winter.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Granite Guru

I had the same issue with mine the header was bowed in the center. Since i hate the dealer i bought the steel replacement header myself it like $140 shipped. I installed it the top is below the windshield now it's quiet and it stopped my door leaks. My wife has an '09 and her header was plastic too and is bowed bad. It must have missed out on the change that supposedly happened in '09. I will be buying her header this summer as well to fix it. Long story short if you have a good dealer you may get it or be told "it's on back order" or "never heard of that part". I would just bite the bullet and buy it yourself and save a few minutes of your life that you can't get back when you waste it with the dealer.

Edit : I got the staypad with mine when i ordered it is just the nylon staps that go from the #3 bow to the #2 bow (on the 2 door) and i did not replace they are in my tool box they were not needed should have returned them but i figured i might need them one day if my trektop NX doesn't show up.

2008 Black X 2" Rusty's lift, 33's XRC rear Bumper ( Traded in on Arctic)
2012 Arctic Edition (Traded in on Truck )

Last edited by chris15005; 03-22-2011 at 02:48 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-22-2011, 07:12 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I'm going to look into this part and see what kind of deal I can get on them for you guys.

Marcus

Sent from my cellular communication device.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode