Tuffy Box and Swag tailgate woes! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 03-21-2011, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Red face Tuffy Box and Swag tailgate woes!

Love my Swag drop down tailgate and love my brother-in-laws tuffy box.

My BL traded in his jeep and I brought the tuffy box of him cheap.

Thought it thru fairly good, (so I thought) figured out how to mount the spare on top of the box, and with the drawer raised to it's fullest hight there is room underneath for my soft uppers!

One thing I didn't think of is closing the tail gate. The Swag drop down gate has a 1 1/2" high bracket for the support wire. that bracket now prevents the tailgate from closing.

The only option I see is moving the entire box back 2" to allow the bracket to clear the box. That will require drilling holes in either the box or the tub.

Either that or scrap the entire idea, and sell the box, which will be tough if I drill holes in it!

Anyone have any other thoughts? Anyone else ever attempt this?
Attached Images

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler
08' Dodge Avenger SXT (winter beater)
64' Plymouth Sport Fury(sold)
58' Triumph TR-3A(in 1,000,000 pieces)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-21-2011, 07:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Hey Mike I am thinking you could weld to pins in the tailgate and use clips to hold the bracket in the door when you have the tailgate down, then pull them when you close it.

a couple of these and of course a pin to put them thru, you could maybe even do 4 to make it more secure
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...0156989&ucst=t

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #3 of 4 Old 03-26-2011, 04:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

did you figure anything out yet? I've got the drawer and plan to add the drop down tailgate too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-27-2011, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well I've given it a week and haven't been able to come up with anything other than moving the box back 1 1/2"

There are two issues, first is the 'hump' in the tailgate where the lock and catch are on the drivers side, the drawer will not slide out unless you have it raised to it's fullest 4" above the deck, this works for me as I was planning to put my soft upper under there.

Second the tailgate support wire and bracket add another 1 1/2" to the 'hump' which prevents the tailgate closing with the box in it's designed position. To fix this you need to move the box back, this requires the drilling of 3 holes and making of one new bracket, the bracket that attaches to the striker plate on the drivers side need to be 1 1/2" longer. The bracket that attaches to the factory sub is fine but you need to drill an new hole in the top plate to attach it, and the brackets that attach to the footmans loops on the floor need to move back 1 1/2" you can use the rear hole and just drill a second hole in front of it.

Thats how to do it, but the top of the drawer will not be flush with the side panels it will be raised 4" then you have to figure out how to mount the spare. The box 'should' be able to hold the weight and there are plenty of ancor point secure it, but having it behind the drivers and passengers heads in an accident might prove to be a bad idea.

So I decided to sell the box, mount my tire to the bed and get either a duster cover or enclosure to go over the top !

Yes it can be done, but time, effort and money could be used elsewhere right now. With the money I'll get for the box I plan on getting some RROR corners!

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler
08' Dodge Avenger SXT (winter beater)
64' Plymouth Sport Fury(sold)
58' Triumph TR-3A(in 1,000,000 pieces)

Last edited by Iron; 03-27-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode