Drying carpet - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-20-2011, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Drying carpet

so I left work today after a downpour and had an inch or so of water in the passenger side of my jeep. must have left a door cracked because I can't see how the water got in. I pulled the carpet out and pulled the drain plugs. What is the best way to dry the carpet? can I put it in the dryer on low heat? thanks

07 Greystone Rubicon Unlimited. Rock Krawler 3.5 X-factor lift, 35 inch Mickey Thompson MTZ's, 17x9 KMC Addicts, 5.13's, Poly Performance Driveshafts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-20-2011, 11:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Eh, if it's warm enough I'd let it air dry. I'd be worried about it shrinking or losing it's shape even on low heat.

Or better yet, just pull out all the carpet

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #3 of 16 Old 03-20-2011, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

That's pretty much what I thought. I'm placing towels on the carpet and jumping on it to soak up the water and have a fan blowing on the carpet. seems to be working well so far.

07 Greystone Rubicon Unlimited. Rock Krawler 3.5 X-factor lift, 35 inch Mickey Thompson MTZ's, 17x9 KMC Addicts, 5.13's, Poly Performance Driveshafts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 03-20-2011, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Best way to minimize odor is to completely pull the carpet out, clean it and allow it plenty of time to completely air dry in the sun/ low humidity. Also wipe down the inside of the tub at the same time......before reinstalling the carpet.

If you leave it in the Jeep too long, then there will always be a damp musty smell from the moisture that is trapped between the bottom of the carpet and the tub. This will exacerbate mold/ mildew, and subsequently whenever the carpet becomes the least bit damp.......it will stink.

You need to pull the carpet ASAP if you are going to try to keep it. The stank-gods are already brewing as we speak.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 16 Old 03-21-2011, 12:02 AM
Banned

My wife just towel dries her's.

post #6 of 16 Old 03-21-2011, 01:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Definitely pull the carpet. It will get pretty moldy if you don't pull it and let it dry.....coming from experience here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
yeah...I decided to go and finish on the tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
post #7 of 16 Old 03-21-2011, 06:47 AM
Rock God

no carpet ftw

Justin
2009 Sahara Unlimited-The Saharacon
Just hanging out in the land of the banned
post #8 of 16 Old 03-21-2011, 07:02 AM
Rock God

Garage

Pull it and air dry it. Happened to me in the Fall. Softtop leakage = pools of water and ripped out entire passenger side carpeting. It will mold over and smell. Good luck!

"With all due respect sir, I believe this will be our finest hour"
post #9 of 16 Old 03-21-2011, 07:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I just pulled all my carpet and had it line-x'd.

Going to make life a hell of a lot easier.

Info:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-21-2011, 07:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Pull it and put a towel under it and a towel on top. Step on the towel to squeeze the water out into the towels. Get as much out as you can and then put it out in the sun to dry.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #11 of 16 Old 03-21-2011, 09:43 AM
Ipe
Rock God

I pulled mine and let it dry in the sun.

post #12 of 16 Old 03-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Granite Guru

toss it the way these jeeps leak it is hard to keep it dry....
post #13 of 16 Old 03-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
My wife just towel dries her's.

Hell, my wife got rid of all her carpet...I'm thinkin bout just Line-X'in that thing....more durable ya know.

post #14 of 16 Old 03-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Granite Guru

The larger question is the reason for the front passenger pool - I get it too. Not only am I finding the source for the leak difficult to track down, but no real answers. I thought I read somewhere about a bulletin, but my search in recalls & TSB's revealed nothing. It's a brand new Jeep and for the money I'm finding it difficult to just accept as a long-term character flaw for all Jeeps, new and old alike. I read once it could be a firewall seam, and/or a drain valley clogged in the hood vent area. I see references to a lot of us with this same dang problem.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
post #15 of 16 Old 03-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Granite Guru

For the record, yes you can put it in the dryer, I've done it with all but the very largest piece that I simply couldn't squeeze in.

As far as the leak, my theory is the water comes in at the pillar, drips behind the plastic so it's not visible and then runs down onto the carpet.
post #16 of 16 Old 03-23-2011, 04:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1 View Post
For the record, yes you can put it in the dryer, I've done it with all but the very largest piece that I simply couldn't squeeze in.

As far as the leak, my theory is the water comes in at the pillar, drips behind the plastic so it's not visible and then runs down onto the carpet.
I think the same thing because I never had an issue until recently. I didn't even know it until I pulled my passenger Husky Liner out and the bottom was wet. There was never any water in/on the mat itself. I'm thinking the A pillar too

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode