Rock sliders with steps? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 03-20-2011, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Rock sliders with steps?

I'm looking for a good set of rock sliders with a step or some kind of rail to use as a step. Who makes a good quality slider that has these options. I don't want to spend a ton of money on them, but I want them to be worthy of some rock rash. Who do you guys use? Thanks....

2011 Sahara Tan Unlimited Sport, 3.5" lift, 35" BFG KM2's, more to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-20-2011, 07:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You want one of the frame mounted sliders (like Shrockworks) if you want to use it as a step. The non-frame mounted sliders (like PureJeep and Poison Spyder) may look like they have steps, but actually do not (you have to step over the slider to get into the Jeep).

The trade off is:
The frame mounted sliders can legitimately be used as a step, but you loose ground clearance (really isn't a huge deal if you are lifted pretty high or don't rock crawl).
post #3 of 23 Old 03-20-2011, 08:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
You want one of the frame mounted sliders (like Shrockworks) if you want to use it as a step. The non-frame mounted sliders (like PureJeep and Poison Spyder) may look like they have steps, but actually do not (you have to step over the slider to get into the Jeep).

The trade off is:
The frame mounted sliders can legitimately be used as a step, but you loose ground clearance (really isn't a huge deal if you are lifted pretty high or don't rock crawl).
I really like my Pure Jeep ones.

I have used the step to climb up and get snow off my hardtop.

However, I've never used it as a step to get into the Jeep because its at the same level as the doorsill and thus makes no sense as a step in that use case.

Info:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 03-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Wheeler

I've got these, and I love em. the only thing different is that the pic doesn't show them with a step surface in the middle. I've also bashed them a bit on some rocks at Disney. They're solid, and the price is right.

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/49.htm
post #5 of 23 Old 03-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

i would recommend body armor. for the price, it's awesome. also recommend ace engineering, adam is a great guy to deal with.

http://www.aceengineeringandfab.com/rock-rails/

2009 2dr, surf blue
lift, 35's, and other stuff.

"Tigers love pepper. They hate cinnamon"
post #6 of 23 Old 03-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra_Tango View Post
I've got these, and I love em. the only thing different is that the pic doesn't show them with a step surface in the middle. I've also bashed them a bit on some rocks at Disney. They're solid, and the price is right.

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/49.htm
I have the same ones. I don't use the step as I'm tall but my pregnant wife likes the steps. The nice thing about them is the width of the actuall step.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 23 Old 03-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

If you want a step check out

Nemesis Industries Billy Rockers http://www.nem-ind.com/catalog/jk-0

Or

Poison Spyder's Brawler Rockers http://www.poisonspyder.com

post #8 of 23 Old 03-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Granite Guru

PSC Brawler Rockers have basically a step - or check out the Ace Engineering Rock rails - for the $ you can't beat those...

No ground clearance issue with those at all - they mount on the body mounts - I guess you may lose some immediately under the rocker - but it's protected now with tube.

2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod Lift : Bilstein 5100's Front & Back : Rock Krawler Discos : 35X12.5X17 Goodyear MTR/K's : 2" Rock Krawler Stackable Bumpstops F/R : ProComp 7089's 17x9 4.75BS : Poison Spyder Evap Skid : Poison Spyder Brawler Lite : Spiderwebshade - Trailmesh : Recon 10,500lb Winch : Olympic Rock Sliders : Hella Black Magic Lights

post #9 of 23 Old 03-20-2011, 09:48 PM
Wheeler

@ firstjeep yeah, my wife likes the step too.

Also, there aren't any ground clearance issues, as the factory skid plate hangs lower than the bottom tube of the slider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 23 Old 03-20-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra_Tango View Post
@ firstjeep yeah, my wife likes the step too.

Also, there aren't any ground clearance issues, as the factory skid plate hangs lower than the bottom tube of the slider.
Is this a JK thing? On my YJ and TJ's, I chose my lines to keep my diff's way clear, my underbelly as clear as I could, and my gas tank in the butt armored well (it always took a beating...but Kilby took care of that).

But it seems the rockers took the brunt when making those decisions. The difference between frame mounted rails and body mounted plating was as good as a 4" suspension lift. I went back and forth with both...and frame mounted rails/tubes/whatever always got the shit beat out of them...sometimes just broke off. Some were better than others, but frame mounted rails always got bashed...and would get pushed up and cause body damage.

My fav's were the Off Your Rockers diamond plates I put on my '95 YJ...but I don't think they ever touched a rock...they had so much clearance. But...they had no steps. I previously had ShittlyBilt tube steps on that Jeep (it was my first Jeep...newbie) but I broke one off just pulling off the highway once. I don't know if OYR is still in business, but if I gets my 2012 Jeep, I'll be looking for a set!

post #11 of 23 Old 03-21-2011, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the replies. The 2 I have been looking at are the Smittybilt and the ACEengineering. I really like the style of the ACE ones, but wasn't sure on how accessible that step would be for a short wife!! My wife HAS to have a step to get in. What's everyones take on quality between the 2 mentioned ones? Thanks....

post #12 of 23 Old 03-21-2011, 06:50 AM
Granite Guru

I can't help you with the Smittybilt ones, but the ACE Engineering ones look great, and my wife likes them for the step. One of the main reasons I bought from ACE was their's is about the only ones I found that would fit with the Rubicon stock rock rails. I haven't wheeled with them yet, to see how they will hold up.
post #13 of 23 Old 03-21-2011, 06:55 AM
Granite Guru

Rock Hard sprayed in Line X on the step part

post #14 of 23 Old 03-21-2011, 07:42 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyB View Post
Is this a JK thing? On my YJ and TJ's, I chose my lines to keep my diff's way clear, my underbelly as clear as I could, and my gas tank in the butt armored well (it always took a beating...but Kilby took care of that).

But it seems the rockers took the brunt when making those decisions. The difference between frame mounted rails and body mounted plating was as good as a 4" suspension lift. I went back and forth with both...and frame mounted rails/tubes/whatever always got the shit beat out of them...sometimes just broke off. Some were better than others, but frame mounted rails always got bashed...and would get pushed up and cause body damage.

My fav's were the Off Your Rockers diamond plates I put on my '95 YJ...but I don't think they ever touched a rock...they had so much clearance. But...they had no steps. I previously had ShittlyBilt tube steps on that Jeep (it was my first Jeep...newbie) but I broke one off just pulling off the highway once. I don't know if OYR is still in business, but if I gets my 2012 Jeep, I'll be looking for a set!
I can't speak to it being a JK thing or not, but to clarify, it's not a huge distance between the two, maybe a couple of inches. I'll try to get some pics to show what I mean. don't get me wrong, the rails get plenty of sliding, but they're not so low that they hit everything you wantt o drive over.
post #15 of 23 Old 03-21-2011, 07:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBTJ View Post
I can't help you with the Smittybilt ones, but the ACE Engineering ones look great, and my wife likes them for the step. One of the main reasons I bought from ACE was their's is about the only ones I found that would fit with the Rubicon stock rock rails. I haven't wheeled with them yet, to see how they will hold up.
Smitty is bottom of the barrel quality, a product of 10 year olds in Chinese labor camps. If you just want a step and stay away from the rocks, they should be fine. When I first bought my JK, I went with the Smitty sliders and destroyed them on my 2nd trip offroad. You get what you pay for.

I don't particularly like how the ACE rails only attach at a couple of points (for my style of wheeling), but I havn't heard of any problems, and they are made in the USA.
post #16 of 23 Old 03-21-2011, 07:59 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
I don't particularly like how the ACE rails only attach at a couple of points (for my style of wheeling), but I havn't heard of any problems, and they are made in the USA.
He's added a 3rd mount as well - and no drilling, etc. I have seen some video on here of them taking some serious hits as well. And Very much Made in the USA.

I have the Olympics and for many reasons will not recommend them - powder chips way too easy, no primer underneath that, bad customer service (remember the whole tire carrier thread). Once I smash these - I will probably be giving Ace the call or save the money and get the PSC Brawler Rockers (my preference)...

2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod Lift : Bilstein 5100's Front & Back : Rock Krawler Discos : 35X12.5X17 Goodyear MTR/K's : 2" Rock Krawler Stackable Bumpstops F/R : ProComp 7089's 17x9 4.75BS : Poison Spyder Evap Skid : Poison Spyder Brawler Lite : Spiderwebshade - Trailmesh : Recon 10,500lb Winch : Olympic Rock Sliders : Hella Black Magic Lights

post #17 of 23 Old 03-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Granite Guru

Garage
ACE rails

I have the ACE rails and the work well as a step. My ex is only 5'1" and loved them and I love how they look.
post #18 of 23 Old 03-21-2011, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TETZ View Post
I have the ACE rails and the work well as a step. My ex is only 5'1" and loved them and I love how they look.
That's good to hear. My wife is 5'2" and I really need something that works as a step. I think this is the way I'll go. The price ain't bad either. And like everyone else has said, they're US made!!

post #19 of 23 Old 03-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

The made in the US is what pushed it over the edge for me. If you are looking for a bumper later on check out ACE's stubby front bumper. I just installed mine this weekend with my winch. Nice products!
post #20 of 23 Old 03-21-2011, 01:24 PM
Granite Guru

I have MBRP sliders with detachable steps. The rails have held up well, the steps are well positioned, low enough for little kids and short chicks. That said I have never had anything from MBRP fit out of the box, these and their exhaust, even putting their steps on there rails the first time where all a total pain in the ass.

Charging as much as they do they should fit as advertised, but once you finally get the stuff on it holds up pretty well.
post #21 of 23 Old 03-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Research, bro!

Garage

I have T&T Customs and love them. Stout as heck. They have a dimple plate which IMO makes the stepping easier than, say, a Shrockworks design. Check them out. Now, their powercoating wasn't the greatest though...

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #22 of 23 Old 03-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Granite Guru

can someone post some pics of how the ace rock rails are mounted?

2008 Rubicon
Rugged Ridge XHD Bumper w/Warn XD9000i
315/70/17 Cooper ST Maxx, No Lift
Superchips Flashpaq
Flow Daddy Headers
Gibson Dual Exhaust
post #23 of 23 Old 03-21-2011, 07:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkoen01 View Post
can someone post some pics of how the ace rock rails are mounted?
You can check this thread out for all the info.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27205

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode