Damn Doors!!!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 03-19-2011, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Damn Doors!!!!

Ok so I sprayed the pins with PB Blaster and I'm going to do it for next day or two then try again to get the doors off. Tried with jack and piece of wood. Lifted whole side of jeep up, and there is no torx screw in only the pins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 03-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Wow, that sux. I had difficulty the first time I took mine off, since then no problems. I use white lithium grease in a paste and put that on the pine each time I put the doors back on.

09 BLACK Sahara 4 Door - Auto, G2 4.88s
TF 2.5" Coil Lift w/shocks, TF Frnt Adj Trac, TF FLCA, JKS Discos, JKS Rear Adj Trac, LOD Full Rear GEN2,
A.C.E. Rock Rails, Viper TB: Check the Garage for more.
post #3 of 34 Old 03-19-2011, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yea from what I have read here the first time is a bitch. I want to get them off and grease them before it gets too warm in jersey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 03-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Wheeler

I had a similar probablem with my half doors you need to hit them. use a small socket and hammer it will create more force than lifting the jeep similar to an impact . After it is budged move the hinge back and foth and lift it at the same time

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
08 jk 2dr with 3.5 in lift and 35 BFG K/M2 AEV snorkel jks quick discos
post #5 of 34 Old 03-19-2011, 11:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Go to the gym a few days and then try again!

Seriously though, make sure you are holding the door toward the hinge area and not close to the door handle. Act like you are lifting only the hinges and swing the door while lifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
yeah...I decided to go and finish on the tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
post #6 of 34 Old 03-19-2011, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the tips
post #7 of 34 Old 03-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Wheeler

Hammering them from the bottom didn't work for me. You have to work them off!! Keep opening an closing them while lifting. You'll work up a sweat but that's what worked for me.
post #8 of 34 Old 03-19-2011, 12:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

In my experience you need to Make sure they are open at least 90* or completely perpendicular to the jeep.

Sent by carrier pigeon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 34 Old 03-19-2011, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

PB works. All doors came loose with some English. All except the front passenger. I'll keep hitting it with the PB and try again tomorrow
post #10 of 34 Old 03-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Rock God

block of wood and a rubber mallet, light sharp hits not wack the shit outta it.
post #11 of 34 Old 03-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via MSN to superdavis78 Send a message via Yahoo to superdavis78 Send a message via Skype™ to superdavis78

I tried last year to take my doors off....the passenger side came off easy, but the driver side would not come off. I worked my ass off trying to get the damn thing off. I just got fed up and put the other side back on...so far the only Jeep I had luck taking the doors off was my 93 model. Since then never been doorless!! Sad Face...

2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport
post #12 of 34 Old 03-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Granite Guru

a little heat from a hair dryer will loosen up the plastic bushings and allow the penetrating oil to seep down the pin, then lift straight up with a slight rocking motion.

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler
08' Dodge Avenger SXT (winter beater)
64' Plymouth Sport Fury(sold)
58' Triumph TR-3A(in 1,000,000 pieces)
post #13 of 34 Old 03-19-2011, 01:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinJBurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyquicken View Post
Ok so I sprayed the pins with PB Blaster and I'm going to do it for next day or two then try again to get the doors off. Tried with jack and piece of wood. Lifted whole side of jeep up, and there is no torx screw in only the pins.
Matty check my old threads!! I would post it but I'm on my phone right now. Maybe someone else can do it for you but the same thing happened to me. I think the thread is called "rear doors are stuck" or something like that??? There's a great 2X4 trick that works every time!

Tapatalk

Always forward never straight sometimes upside-down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
I love the cock so much that even my avatar is just a pile of hot meat.

Last edited by KevinJBurt; 03-19-2011 at 01:21 PM.
post #14 of 34 Old 03-19-2011, 01:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

Before you put them back on, liberally coat the pins and fill the holes with white lithium grease... Work them back and forth and up n down a few times.

Will make taking them back off a whole lot easier

Sent by carrier pigeon

post #15 of 34 Old 03-19-2011, 02:12 PM
Granite Guru

get ya a brass punch like this and tap the pin from the bottom to give it a little jolt through the hinges.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too..._126188_126188
post #16 of 34 Old 04-03-2011, 09:37 AM

I did this with a similar punch set and will now have to retap the threads on the doors as i smashed 'em up pretty good, but the doors are off and I can not think of a reason to put the nuts back on yet...theft is possible, but I do have insurance...
post #17 of 34 Old 04-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Wheeler

i went with the white lithium grease on my '08. just pack in as much as you can, work the doors, and i mean open and close them about 100 times then try to pop them out the next day. mine came right off!
post #18 of 34 Old 04-11-2011, 12:55 AM
Rock God

I had to hammer my pins up this last time I took them off. No big deal, hammered them up then back down once I got them off. Just make sure you dont send them up to much and let the door drop, that would be bad
post #19 of 34 Old 04-11-2011, 12:58 AM
Granite Guru

I would also recommend a light to moderate sanding of the pins as well as the grease before putting the doors back on. Also most all of my pins put up a fight to come off and had a nice coating of rust.
post #20 of 34 Old 04-11-2011, 07:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Have a guy help lift on the door, and you grab a thick block of wood wrapped in a towel..put it on the bottom of the door just inside the body..then hit it with a Dead Blow hammer..it will inch its way up and out..I had to do this the first time..Once its out..

Buy new plastic inserts and 400 grit sand the post's from the door side hinges.. then grease them..and your good to go for future take off's.

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #21 of 34 Old 04-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Wheeler

Strange.....Never had any issues with mine...
post #22 of 34 Old 04-12-2011, 04:19 AM
Rock God

Garage

Also pay attention when you swing the door in and out...
Last summer I didn't look and I folded the corner of the sheet metal just below the hinge...
You must NOT close the door when it's still open 12 inches and it's not entirely at the bottom of the hinge...
The body part of the hinge fits behind the door part of the hinge and you'll see a sheet metal corner hidden behind...
Mine's all rusty now...
I'll take pics tonight...
post #23 of 34 Old 04-12-2011, 06:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

My experience with the doors is similar...mine are an absolute bitch every year to get off after winter. I usually spray em down with WD40 to keep them lubed after I get them off for the first time of the year. I just lifted them off yesterday and my technique for getting them started is to sort of squat beneath the door, lock my arms in a position holding the door and using my quads to drive down and end up lifting the door. This is the way I do it so I don't hurt my back in pulling up. And as was said, keep the doors perpendicular to the jeep and kinda work em back and forth. Works for me everytime and once I get them lubed up pretty good with wd40 over the summer they come on and off easy although I usually just leave off.

Also, be careful putting em back on because both my doors are bent in the bottom corner from it swinging against the hinges. It adds character. And I was able to get some of it bent back out to almost look straight by wrapping a towel around the corner and using a plyers around it to bend it back into shape. I got it close.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #24 of 34 Old 04-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Granite Guru

I have never seen anything like my JK hinges the first time I took the doors off. On the first attempt I was able to get 3 of the doors off in two hours of constant work. Irritated that the last door wouldn't come off (driver's rear door), I cleaned the pins on the three doors, cleaned out the hinge and lubed the deal out of both before putting them back on. The last door took 3 days to get off, wd40, liquid gold, everything I had for 3 days!

My assessment is that the previous owner had them off many times and allowed water in the hinges while never lubing them. It was a pain, but I just kept spraying lube up into the hinge, letting it sit in the sun all day, then lubing again.

Now they come off perfectly, but man do they fly open when you open the doors!
post #25 of 34 Old 04-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Me, I'd blast

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode