First aid kit for the trail - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 86 Old 03-09-2011, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

First aid kit for the trail

I'm putting together a pretty complete trail kit and am having trouble finding a good first aid kit. Anyone have any recommendations? I don't need a full on trauma kit but would like more than just band aids. A durable bag or case would be good too.

Marc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 2 door Rubicon ROCK KRAWLER - POYL PERFORMANCE - RIVER RAIDER - POISON SPYDER - BILSTIEN - PITBULL - ACE - SMITTYBILT - BLACK ROCK - SUPERCHIPS - SPIDERWEB SHADES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 Old 03-09-2011, 01:53 PM
JKowners Vendor

This is what Jason and I run in the back of our Jeeps.

Fill it with whatever you like, just make sure you add Quick Clot.

Cheers,
Bond
post #3 of 86 Old 03-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Rock God

Garage

Smittybuilt make a nic bag that straps to your roll bar,stock it any way you want.

Black Jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 86 Old 03-09-2011, 02:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

I started with a military first aid kit and added stuff to it from there - superglue, zyrtec, benadryl, scalpel, 4lb fishing line & upholstery needles, etc etc.
it hangs on a quick release velcro web on the rear gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #5 of 86 Old 03-09-2011, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Those are both good ideas but I am really looking for a pre built/per stocked kit.

Marc

2007 2 door Rubicon ROCK KRAWLER - POYL PERFORMANCE - RIVER RAIDER - POISON SPYDER - BILSTIEN - PITBULL - ACE - SMITTYBILT - BLACK ROCK - SUPERCHIPS - SPIDERWEB SHADES

post #6 of 86 Old 03-09-2011, 02:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggwhite93 View Post
Those are both good ideas but I am really looking for a pre built/per stocked kit.
the military kit was pretty well stocked out of the gate, I just added stuff that I personally thought was appropriate.
Like no kits that I'm aware of come with any sort of medicine - so I added a pill bottle with excedrin, ibuprofen, benadryl, etc -common stuff that might make a day on the trail better.
superglue is a must have for cuts
then you can add other stuff depending on your medical abilities to be able to take basic trauma care as far as you're comfortable in the field.

easy to get to and clearly marked are major things though!
In an emergency situation with someone screaming and bleeding everywhere if you have to tell someone "go to my rig, open the tire carrier, then the tailgate, find the trap door in the floor - you might have to move the cooler and recovery straps to find it, then open the trap door, underneath the jumper cables and next to the snatch block is a black bag......"

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.

Last edited by venom; 03-09-2011 at 02:16 PM.
post #7 of 86 Old 03-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

You can always get a pre made kit from walmart,or somplace like that and fill it up.Also REI has some nic pre made kits.

Black Jeep
post #8 of 86 Old 03-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Rock God

I got mine from a friend who is a nurse, her hospital was giving them away.

2008 Red Rock Sahara Unlimited (stock)

PAVED ROADS
A fine example of needless
government spending
post #9 of 86 Old 03-09-2011, 02:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I picked up a johnson and johnson brand one. came packed with bandaids gauze tape advil excedrin bunch of good stuff.
post #10 of 86 Old 03-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Rock God

ZEE Medical has nice kits in hard cases. I am rethinking now, placement, thanks to Venom's post. I have a litttle one on the roll bar but the major trauma kit is in the cubby. Had it there to keep sun off and out of the way.
Thanks Venom!

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Rock Hard skids, Skidrow Control Arm Skids, Shrockworks bumpers. Pro Comp 2" Puck Lift.
post #11 of 86 Old 03-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Wheeler

I have always gotten my First Aid kits from the Red Cross. They are fairly complete and there is little you should have to add.
They are available from the Red Cross Store.

post #12 of 86 Old 03-09-2011, 02:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

adventure medical are about the best premade kits you can buy. i prefer to make my own kits though.
http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...%20KITS&cat=26

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #13 of 86 Old 03-09-2011, 02:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I just made my own and put it in a water proof plastic box that looks similar to an ammo box. Gloves, SAM splints, kerlex, kling, 4x4s, 5x9s, 1000cc bag of saline, various IV caths, band aids, ice packs, triangle bandages, oral glucose, Benadryl, and OTC pain meds. Easily accessible and identifiable in my trail box.

Last edited by HOOLIGAN; 03-09-2011 at 03:02 PM.
post #14 of 86 Old 03-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Granite Guru

If you're not interested in making your own, Chinook Medical has some great pre-made kits..

Go here: http://www.chinookmed.com and look under their medical kits.
post #15 of 86 Old 03-09-2011, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Lots of very good suggestions here.

http://www.redcrossstore.org/Shopper...iqueItemId=524

Any thoughts on this kit?

Marc

post #16 of 86 Old 03-09-2011, 03:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggwhite93 View Post
Lots of very good suggestions here.

http://www.redcrossstore.org/Shopper...iqueItemId=524

Any thoughts on this kit?
For the price I think you will be getting more useable and better quality stuff with one of these two.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...ame=Sportsman#

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...t%20Aid%202.0#
post #17 of 86 Old 03-09-2011, 03:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You can get a lot of good ideas from

www.galls.com

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #18 of 86 Old 03-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
For the price I think you will be getting more useable and better quality stuff with one of these two.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...ame=Sportsman#

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...t%20Aid%202.0#
Here's the problem with the above mentioned kits as well as all previously mentioned: None of them have the necessary required equipment to handle a life threatening injury.... A first aid kit that can handle scrapes, bumps, bruises, cuts and small, non life threatening bleeds are 'good to have' kits, but you can just as easily get by without them. Its when the chips are down and you are bleeding heavily that a good first aid kit is the difference between dying and surviving, especially on the trail where ambulances and rescue vehicles will not be easily able to access.

What one should really be carrying, IMHO, is a kit designed to treat an injury that is life threatening, which none of these can do effectively. None of the kits can handle an arterial or large venous bleed (a few 4x4's won't cut it), a long bone fracture or similar life threatening event.

Take a basic kit, add the following and you're off to a good start:

SAM splint
A box of 4x4s
Kerlex (great for stuffing into a large would)
Tourniquet (SWATT-T is a simple, cheap and effective one)
OLEAS or Israeli bandages (great for large wounds)
Triangle bandages (6)
Trauma shears

The above mentioned items alone can handle a major bleed or fracture, which is far more important than a cut, bump or bruise, which can wait until you get home.

Add some region specific niceties like bug spray, OTC analgesics, sunscreen, anti emetics, anti diarrheals, etc. and you have a pretty good kit..
post #19 of 86 Old 03-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Rock God

Couldn't agree more with what chrisle said everything he has listed Are great suggestions, and in my opinion what every one of us should be familiar with. As a medic I can tell ya trauma care is simple air goes in and out blood goes round and round any variation is a bad thing. The most important thing is too be familiar with and know how to use everything in your kit. Triangular bandages are one of the most versatile things you could include the have far more uses then you would think.

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

Crew
post #20 of 86 Old 03-09-2011, 04:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

My wife is a registered nurse at a very busy hospital, who has done a lot of charity work in 3rd world countries. She laughed at the first aid kit I had in my jeep, so I let her stock it.

She threw just about everything away and added:
* Celox
* 5x9 Trauma pad
* 4.5" roll of Kerlix
* 6" bandages
* Waterproof tape
* Gloves
* Suture kit with hemostat, and scissor
* Alcohol wipes
* butterfly closures
* eye dressing
* mini maglight
* garment scissors
* and a couple of bandaids and packets of antibiotic ointment

It honestly takes up less space than all the crap I had in there before.
post #21 of 86 Old 03-09-2011, 04:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
My wife is a registered nurse at a very busy hospital, who has done a lot of charity work in 3rd world countries. She laughed at the first aid kit I had in my jeep, so I let her stock it.

It honestly takes up less space than all the crap I had in there before.
That's a pretty good kit there.

I hear ya, I've been a firefighter/paramedic for over 20 years, my wife is an ER nurse, and we usually go wheelin' with another RN, a vetrenarian and occasionally a DR or two. Between all of us, I think we could handle an off road MCI.

Last edited by HOOLIGAN; 03-09-2011 at 04:48 PM.
post #22 of 86 Old 03-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Granite Guru

Sanitary pads great fore bleeders,two sam splints,gauze roles different sizes some one or two in. for finger problems also tong depressors some larger roles of cling 3or4 in.to ad in with the other stuff.
post #23 of 86 Old 03-10-2011, 12:56 AM
JKO Addict!

This is an awesome thread! I never knew about some of those products. That SWAT-T is pretty cool but I saw some pretty gruesome videos when I was checkin it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
yeah...I decided to go and finish on the tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
post #24 of 86 Old 03-10-2011, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepersheart View Post
Couldn't agree more with what chrisle said everything he has listed Are great suggestions, and in my opinion what every one of us should be familiar with. As a medic I can tell ya trauma care is simple air goes in and out blood goes round and round any variation is a bad thing. The most important thing is too be familiar with and know how to use everything in your kit. Triangular bandages are one of the most versatile things you could include the have far more uses then you would think.
Would you be interested in putting a kit together for me?

Marc

post #25 of 86 Old 03-10-2011, 08:23 AM
Rock God

Garage

Tons of different kits here. This is actually an all around great website.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/mesu1.html

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode