help with silicone - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 03-08-2011, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

help with silicone

so i recently took of my tire carrier and now need to remove some silicone from the painted body of my jeep. i have tried my finger nail, and also a light solvent and no luck. Does any one know of a good solvent i can use that will take it off and not damage the clear coat or paint underneath?

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Wheeler

Acetone. I wouldn't wash the rig in it, but I've used it safely on a number of clear coats with no damage.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

I have some stuff called "de-solve-it" that works great. I installed a bathroom sink and got some high powered silicone on the inside of it. I tired acetone and all kinds of other shit that didnt work. When i used the de-solve-it stuff, it came right off. It is some kind of citrus based solvent. It comes in a spray bottle and is orange in color. It smells like oranges too. This shit works. This is exactly what i have:

corey d
2008 JEEP...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 03-08-2011, 11:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Goo-Gone and a little elbow grease usually works for me on stubborn chores like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
yeah...I decided to go and finish on the tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
post #5 of 20 Old 03-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Granite Guru

If you use that stuff that smells like oranges keep it off anything plastic because you will melt it. 3M makes a similiar product that they call a grease remover. The stuff works great and you can order it from Grainger.

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything that you have." - Thomas Jefferson
post #6 of 20 Old 03-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Wheeler

I assume this is just plain old silicon, not one of the other products that look like silicon, like polyurethane or polyether? Plain old silicon isn't that hard to get rid of - heck, it pretty much desoves in gas.

Some of the other produts look like silicon but are actually very different and far more tenatious. In the marine world 3M makes a couple of products called 4200 and 5200 that are a real bitch to get rid of. In fact, 5200 is considered a permanant bond. Glue something down with it to a fiberglass boat, and you'll likely tear the 'glass apart removing it before the bond of the 5200 lets go.

If you're dealing with something like this instead of of just plain silicon, head down to a local west marine (or other marine shop, or check it out on-line) and pick up a product called Anti-Bond 2015. It's about the only chemical I know that will help with a polyurethanes. You'll still need a razor blade and a lot of paitence though.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10373
post #7 of 20 Old 03-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Rock God

Garage

I had the same thing. It was a pain in the ass to get off. Took a lot of scrubing

Steel Blue 07 2dr
"Its the A.M bitches, its time for donuts!"
Jersey
Crew
post #8 of 20 Old 03-10-2011, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks for the ideas, ill let ya know what works the best

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

post #9 of 20 Old 03-11-2011, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Gas- didnt work
De-solve-it- didn't work
Goof off- didn't work
WD40- didn't work
Mineral spirits- didn't work

Any other ideas?

post #10 of 20 Old 03-11-2011, 10:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Are there large amounts still left on there? If so, I would use a plastic scraper or something that won't gouge the paint to get the majority of the silicone off first. Goo-Gone, the item I suggested, will remove small amounts at a time with elbow grease like I said...I am not sure about the products others recommended. I haven't found anything Goo-Gone won't remove as far as residue left after scraping off most of the material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
yeah...I decided to go and finish on the tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
post #11 of 20 Old 03-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Jk View Post
Gas- didnt work
De-solve-it- didn't work
Goof off- didn't work
WD40- didn't work
Mineral spirits- didn't work

Any other ideas?
Yep. Stop being such a pussy and start scrubbing like you still have a valid man card before someone pulls it.

Elbow grease an some goo gone should be all you need unless you have some sort of supernatural irradiated spider's web holding your shit in place.

post #12 of 20 Old 03-12-2011, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

i am impatient and if it looks like its not coming off after scrubbing for 30, i tend to look for other means. I want to find a shop that has that 3M eraser wheel, that thing looks like it works tits and doesnt wreck paint.

post #13 of 20 Old 03-12-2011, 07:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) is a great solvent and evaporates slower than acetone will. Try Mr. Clean Magic Erasers too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #14 of 20 Old 06-23-2011, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) is a great solvent and evaporates slower than acetone will. Try Mr. Clean Magic Erasers too.
will the magic eraser scratch the paint?

post #15 of 20 Old 07-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Wheeler

Thought something completely different when I read the title

07 Unlimited Rubicon, 4 link rear, 3-link front, 37x12.50x17 BFG KM2's, Dana 60 rear, Warn Powerplant, Icon Perfromance coilovers w/ res in front Icon shocks w/res in back, 5.13Gears, Rubicrawler, RCV axles, WTO hydro assist, Anitrocks front and rear, Black Rock Bead Locks, TF speed bumps on all corners.
post #16 of 20 Old 07-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Rock God

saw the title, thought breasts but oh-well...

If the silicone is that difficult to remove it may have polyurethane adhesive in it like 3M's 5200 for marine use. West Marine sells this stuff and it says it will not harm certain paints (2-part paints as well as gel coat and certain plastics.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...2295&langId=-1

It is $32 a can but may be worth it if the silicone has the adhesive in it.

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

post #17 of 20 Old 07-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Rock God

should do the trick

Jersey

Crew
post #18 of 20 Old 07-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

or you could try this
Attached Images

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #19 of 20 Old 07-09-2011, 06:42 AM
Granite Guru

Man I was so hoping this was a poll thread regarding what size implants you were about to buy for your wife.... Lol damn thread titles.

Present - 2009 Rubi Unlimited on 37's -

Present - 2002 Sea Ray 280 Sundancer Sport Cruiser Boat (my other money pit)
Past - 97 XJ, lifted 8", 36" Iroks, locked, D44's, 4:1 case, custom fabbed bumpers, & more
Past - 01 TJ, 4.5 RE SuperFlex Lift, 35" TruXus MT's
post #20 of 20 Old 07-19-2011, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMaxim View Post
Man I was so hoping this was a poll thread regarding what size implants you were about to buy for your wife.... Lol damn thread titles.
lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode