Static discharge problem? My Jeep shocks the s*&t out of me. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-07-2011, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Static discharge problem? My Jeep shocks the s*&t out of me.

Ok, I know this might sound a little weird, but my JK can shock the crap out of me, and does like 10 times a day. Sometimes my dog will yelp because he gets shocked in the nose.
Today another weird thing happened. I decided to wax the body. I started off with some Meguires Diamond cut to polish the brush scratches and winter wear off of it. I was using the same polisher and pad combo I have used to polish cars 100's of times before. This time, sparks, lightning bolts, snaps and crackels coming from all the static electricity. I have been polishing and waxing cars for 20 years and have never seen this much static. I got my wife to come outside to see it, and before I even started, she touched the Jeep and I hear a loud "snap" and she screamed she got shocked so hard.
This is the same Jeep that engaged it's starter and jumped off a 25 foot cliff on it's own. It also will sometime light up everything on the dash when I first stick the key in, but the dealer can't find an issue.

I am starting to think I need to install static discharge wicks from an airplane, and use a ground wire when I fuel up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Wow, that's strange. I've never had that happen with my JK but the winters here in TX are pretty mild. Maybe its a low temp thing.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-07-2011, 11:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Better check for loose wires or something, maybe a bad ground. That's a great way to explode yourself and your dog at the gas station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-07-2011, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Just zip-tie some Bounce fabric softener sheets in the engine bay. It will help greatly. You can use Snuggle too.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 14 Old 03-07-2011, 11:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thats odd? I have a feeling it is you that is static charged and not the jeep.

I knew someone that had that problem bad with her Honda accord. She ended up wiping all of the seats down with fabric softner squares and the problem would go away. Try touching the windshield before you exit the vehicle.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-08-2011, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
Wow, that's strange. I've never had that happen with my JK but the winters here in TX are pretty mild. Maybe its a low temp thing.
I is worse when cold but, but it was pretty warm yesterday, I think it was almost 50 degrees most of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
Better check for loose wires or something, maybe a bad ground. That's a great way to explode yourself and your dog at the gas station.
Yes, this can cause an explosion at the gas station, but it could not be caused by a loose wire anywhere on the Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Thats odd? I have a feeling it is you that is static charged and not the jeep.

I knew someone that had that problem bad with her Honda accord. She ended up wiping all of the seats down with fabric softner squares and the problem would go away. Try touching the windshield before you exit the vehicle.
Ok, I will try that.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to wastedyouth02

Same problem here but i attribute it to the beard buckets tweed pattern crap. I use my elbow up against the B pillar to get out and it gets me everytime.

Drive fast over bumps
post #8 of 14 Old 03-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Rock God

Garage

Mine shocks me when the humidity is low....as has every other vehicle I've ever owned. The deal with the polisher seems excessive though. I don't know if loose wires, etc can cause it or not. Guess you could disconnect the battery, discharge the electrical system and see if it's still shocking you??

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-08-2011, 11:56 AM
JKO Addict!

I usually touch the door or window frame on most vehicles BEFORE I rotate in the seat to exit. It grounds my body so any static goes right back to the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
yeah...I decided to go and finish on the tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
post #10 of 14 Old 03-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Granite Guru

My LJ used to do that EVERY TIME I got out!! It would drive me crazy!! So I was preparing for the worst when I bought the JK, but I have never had a problem with it. There's no fix, I tried everything...

I think it's a dominance thing. You need to take it though the nastiest bog and roughest trail and show it who's boss!
post #11 of 14 Old 03-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Rock God

Garage

It's Christine....Kill it before it Kills you....
post #12 of 14 Old 03-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Wheeler

When I was younger my brother had a Mazda MX6 and on the driver's and passenger side doors, under the window but above the handle, was a small rubber button that simply read "TOUCH". It was there to relieve the static electricity before exiting the vehicle. I've never seen it on another vehicle. I have always just touched under the window upon exiting all vehicles...just habit now.

Cool how it works.

2014 Anvil 2 door
post #13 of 14 Old 03-08-2011, 09:08 PM
trw
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittnthebz View Post
I usually touch the door or window frame on most vehicles BEFORE I rotate in the seat to exit. It grounds my body so any static goes right back to the vehicle.
this is what I do, but only my JK and my mother's KJ shock me on exit, no other vehicle does this (never usually bad though)

but I'll usually stick my leg out and keep contact with the rocker as I get out so no shock happens.

2011 JK, made the year before we all die, warranty be damned.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-08-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I have never had another land vehicle do this. Airplanes are a different story, but they travel a lot faster and the air is dryer up high.
The touching the glass thing works, I will keep doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode