07 Rubicon Front end wobble - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 12-08-2008, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

07 Rubicon Front end wobble

HELP!!! What the #%^K! recently I have been experiencing random MAJOR front end shimmy when I hit a slight bump in the road. I have a 07 rubicon w/ a 6spd. and a 4.5" skyjacker lift w/ a skyjacker nitro steering stabilizer. It is not affected by braking, it only by bumps, I practically have to stop for it to go away. Not a ESP problem[ had the dealer remap it for the 35"BFG A/T's. Lift and tires have been on for approx. 8 months , 2day it is pretty cold and I noticed it alot more frequently on my way to work. Jeep is a Tar baby so its not like I was beating the hell out of it [ like it was built to do] anyone have a clue? Thanx jackedjkinct
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Rock God

Garage

Check the front Track Bar. Most likely loose on one end or the other.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-08-2008, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

I will chek it out and let you know . Thanx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-08-2008, 10:24 AM
TrailDuty.com

Yup, check the track bar first, then if that doesn't cure it, start checking ball joints, tie rod ends, control arms, etc.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-08-2008, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice , looking foward to checking, thge wobble was real eye opener.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

...and rather than simply looking underneath and trying to see what is loose by grabbing things and shaking them...Instead, make sure to get another person to turn the steering wheel (quickly and slowly- back and forth), while you lie under the front and. Feel, look, and listen for movement at both ends of:

track-bar
drag-link (incl pitman arm)
tie-rod

Be sure to have the person also turn the steering wheel all the way left/ all the way right. Make sure that all wheel lugs are tight as well.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Granite Guru

I had the same issue...Took it to the deal and they said they did a thorough inspection and my suspension was fine. They claimed it was from my tires cupping. My service manager tried selling me a new set of tires. Next day went to install a new bumper and noticed a bolt missing from the right side control arm.

I thought that was odd as I only had 25k on the factory tires...
post #8 of 15 Old 12-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Rock God

Also check the rear trackbar.. Mine was loose and did exactly as yours. Tightened it up and it was good as new. Good Luck..

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalcomson View Post
...they said they did a thorough inspection and my suspension was fine. They claimed it was from my tires...tried selling me a new set of tires. Next day...noticed a bolt missing from the right side control arm.

Gawd- They sound incompetent and/ or motivated by greed. Glad you found the missing bolt and didn't fall for their typical line of BS.

post #10 of 15 Old 12-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Granite Guru

Yep, and that was after driving over 100 miles after the thorough inspection...Dreaded every bump
post #11 of 15 Old 12-09-2008, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Well I went to my shop who installed the lift, they checked ou the front end and found th tie-rod end connecting to the steering box had a little play, they replaced it and now the friggin ESP is going off over every little bump in the road, an within 25 miles now a idiot light shows up on the dash reading ESP BAS F%^K!!!! If I wanted a fast 4x4 to fly around corners I would have got a BMW X-5[ NOT!] I bought a lame 6cyl boxy Jeep and I love it . What the heck was Jeep thinking w/ putting a ESP in a rubicon, mabe some are worried they may spill there Latte? Now I have a appt. at the jeep dealer tomorrow and right away the service advisor says oh, I see you have a lift kit,[ oh boy let the games begin.] I will keep you all posted of the outcome. jackedjkinct!
post #12 of 15 Old 12-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

First- The drag-link is what you are referring to if it is attached to the steering box/ pitman arm.

Second- The ESP/ BAS light is no big deal, and doesn't require the dealership's assistance to remedy. This is an alignment issue and can be taken care of thru a qualified tire shop that does alignments. The people on jkowners can also walk you thru the very simple process to fix it...if you want to save some money and take care of this yourself.

Third- Your owners manual has a solution to disable the ESP/ BAS warning light, if you ultimately feel the need to do, if you want. There is a write-up on this forum for that as well.

Don't freak-out too much about this. It has happened to a lot of JK owners.

Let us know.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-13-2008, 07:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Unhappy

I am looking at putting a 3 inch lift on my stock jk... I also have ESP... is this common for the Jeeps to have this much problem with ESP... I know having ESP here in Calgary, especially now, we just got about a foot of snow last night, it does work well on the streets, keep the wheel spin to a minimum. Is it worth getting the lift?

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

When the steering wheel is c0cked off to the left or right more than a couple degrees- then the ESP/ BAS light will come on. The system considers your Jeep to be skidding out of control at that point. Essentially the steering and braking are "relating to each other" via the computer- Totally seems like something that an off-road vehicle should not have on it, but whatever. Getting it to turn off is fairly simple to do. Really just a matter of re-centering your steering wheel by loosening and adjusting the draglink and/ or doing an alignment- which most can do on their own.

I noticed that the 2007 JK's do not list the ability in the owners manual to disable the ESP/BAS function. The 2008 JK's do have a disable feature for it.
post #15 of 15 Old 12-13-2008, 10:09 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07unlimitedx View Post
I also have ESP... is this common for the Jeeps to have this much problem with ESP...
No, if everything is done right you should have no issues with the ESP.

The only time I've gotten the ESP light on is when I've bent something and the steering wheel is way off. IIRC it needs to be 15° or more off to trigger the ESP light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode